I haven't read the replies I haven't acknowledged, because I'm trying to slow down entering the dissociative state where I post obsessively to the list and do nothing else, and accessing the same threads could trigger it faster. Here is a webcomic outline. To help with the major motion picture being slowly grown from horrifically enslaved countries to bring their dead beloved dictators back to life as respected community members with badly needed medical care: Mind Control Boss, the Webcomic, draft 1 #1 panel 1: Setting: Boss's office Boss: "Somebody mentioned mind control on that mailing list. Let me know when it's cleaned up." Cleanup Worker (previously Secretary of State, talking honestly, has bloody wires leaving scalp, wears weapons dealer logo on smart looking political outfit): "Of course, Boss! We love you so much for enslaving us to your every whim!" panel 2: Setting: local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All" Specialist (now a cleanup worker for Boss): "The Boss told me to clean this mailing list up. I told him to fuck off, that it's out of his control." Excited Supporter (at a nearby table of torture victims, rescue workers, and diplomats): "What list now?" State Worker (wears same weapons dealer logo as Secretary of State, watching, is at table of rebels with Specialist, in role of "way to control and spy on Boss", texting privately on Mobile Phone): [Excited Supporter will b worker who rebels. Can u make sure 2 erase what they look up tonight?] panel 3: Setting: same coffee shop Rebel Worker (sitting next to State Worker, wears same shirt, phone dings and looks suddenly at State Worker): "The fuck???" <immediately shoots State Worker dead> Dead State Worker's Mobile Phone: "Contacting Cleanup. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft." Specialist (same one, at table): <while phone alarming about cleanup>, "Again????" #2 panel 1: (torture victim, excited supporter, and/or rebel worker visit mailing list, assume it is super cool, archive it and spread it everywhere) panel 2: Scene: Former Secretary of State's office Cleanup Worker (formerly secretary of state, bloody wires leaving neatly combed hair, gesturing at corpse of State Worker, talking to Machine Learning Marketer): "Boss can't see well and needs to hear it from the horse's mouth, and the horse is dead. Could you fix up a video chat for us where the horse is alive?" Machine Learning Marketer (knows nothing about machine learning, is new to corporation): "Certainly. We do that all the time." panel 3: Scene: Boss's office, with corpse of State Worker present, propped up as if still alive. Boss is in a hospital bed. Corpse of State Worker (blurry due to severe issues Boss is having): "Boss, I am your loyal servant. The mailing list has been cleaned up." #3 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office Standing Corpse of State Worker: "I have bad news. The rebel mailing list posts we've been using to share propaganda are predicted to make more rebels than propaganda." State Worker 2 (hired to replace State Worker after their death, bloody wires leaving scalp): "Don't say that! I might tell the boss!" Corpse of State Worker: "Very sorry." #4 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office Standing Corpse of State Worker 2 (microelectronics and brains hanging out of scalp, eyes moving wildly and independently of each other): "After being brought back from the dead so many times by Machine Learning Marketer, Boss can no longer learn new information without being killed out of fear of subversion by propaganda. This doesn't seem much like leadership to the workers, so we've kind of reinterpreted who the boss really is, and listen instead to their "spirit" rather than letting them say anything. Machine Learning Marketer has a computer that can report spirit." Machine Learning Marketer has bloody wires leaving their scalp. Standing Corpse of State Worker 3 (also has obviously poorly-done bci surgery): "You said you replaced the Boss with a computer simulation?" State Worker 2: "Yeah, can you kill me until I do it well enough to say straight, for the coffee shop?" Machine Learning Marketer: <reaches for their own cellphone and breaks it in half. Takes out a gun and empties it into the lights>. "I think the simulation just mind controlled me not to." #5 <we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too, but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
Karl wrote:
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too,
Those were pretty good. A charming portrait of our brave new world, created by 'technology'. Speaking of which, you might find this interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WaUkZXKA30 It's a talk from a guy called aldous huxley in the ~1960s, in which he discusses how Scientific Progress will achieve ultimate mind control. Just the thing for our Enlightened Technology Worshippers and their insane garbage about 'crossbows'.
but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
I discovered this email draft on 2026-08-24 . it likely was began the same day as punk's email, 2020-11-11. I posted these expressions in a funny trance, and punk's choice of my quoted line here stimulated me to take myself literally and [force myself to] continue forever in a somewhat-enjoyable manner [associated with desires for something like cryptographic transparent information preservation] On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 2:34 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
Karl wrote:
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too,
Those were pretty good. A charming portrait of our brave new world, created by 'technology'. Speaking of which, you might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WaUkZXKA30
It's a talk from a guy called aldous huxley in the ~1960s, in which he discusses how Scientific Progress will achieve ultimate mind control. Just the thing for our Enlightened Technology Worshippers and their insane garbage about 'crossbows'.
There are so, so many stories, and so few are heard.
but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
<https://inboxwhenready.org/?utm_campaign=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature> I'm using Inbox When Ready <https://inboxwhenready.org/?utm_campaign=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature> to protect my focus.
Below is a transcript of the linked youtube view, from youtube.com ("show transcript") using this javascript code in the chrome developer console: console.log(Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('ytd-transcript-segment-renderer')).map(el => el.textContent.trim().replace(/\s+/g, ' ')).join('\n\n')); On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 2:34 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
Karl wrote:
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too,
Those were pretty good. A charming portrait of our brave new world, created by 'technology'. Speaking of which, you might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WaUkZXKA30
It's a talk from a guy called aldous huxley in the ~1960s, in which he discusses how Scientific Progress will achieve ultimate mind control. Just the thing for our Enlightened Technology Worshippers and their insane garbage about 'crossbows'.
but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
0:00 yes mr. Aldous Huxley now an essay is marvelous who during the spring semester 0:05 is residing at the University and its capacity as a Ford research professor mr. Huxley has recently returned from a 0:12 conference at the Institute for the Study of democratic institutions in Santa Barbara where the discussion 0:18 focused on the development of new techniques by which to control indirect uman behavior traditionally it is 0:25 impossible to suppress individual freedom through the application of physical coercion through the appeal of 0:32 ideologies through the manipulation of man's physical and social environment and more recently smoothie that 0:39 techniques the cruded techniques of psychological conditioning the ultimate revolution about which mr. Huxley will 0:46 speak today concerns itself with the development of new behavioral controls which operate directly upon the 0:53 psychophysiological organisms of man that is the capacity to replace external 0:58 constraint by internal compulsions as those of us who are familiar with mr. Huxley's a works well know this is a 1:05 subject with which he has been concerned for quite a period of time mr. Huxley 1:10 will make a presentation of approximately half an hour followed by some brief discussions and questions by 1:16 the two panelists sitting to my left of Miss Lillian Rivlin and mr. John post and mr. Huxley 1:31 first of all the I would like to say that the conference of Santa Barbara was 1:37 not directly concerned with the control of the mind that was a conference there 1:42 have been two of them now the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco won this year which I did 1:48 entertain and one two years ago where where there was a considerable discussion on this subject at Santa 1:55 Barbara we were talking about technology in general and the the effects it's 2:00 likely to have on society and the problems related to technological with 2:07 transplanting of technology and technology into underdeveloped countries 2:12 well now in regard to this problem of the ultimate revolution this has been 2:20 very well summed up by the moderator in the past we can say that all revolutions 2:26 have essentially aimed at changing the environment in order to change the 2:33 individual I mean there's been the political revolution the economic 2:40 revolution in the time of the Reformation the religious revolution all 2:48 these aims as I say not directly at the human being but at his surroundings so 2:55 that by modifying the surroundings you did achieve in at one remove an effect 3:02 upon the human being today we are faced 3:08 I think we see approach of what may be called the ultimate revolution the final 3:13 revolution where a man can act directly on the mind body of his fellows well 3:21 needless to say some kind of direct action on human mind bodies has been 3:26 going on since the beginning of time but this has generally been of a violent 3:33 nature the techniques of terrorism have been known from time Memorial and people have employed them 3:40 with more or less ingenuity sometimes with the Atmos crudité sometimes with a 3:47 good deal of skill inquire acquired by a process of trial and error of finding 3:53 out what the best ways of using taught imprisonment constraints of various 4:01 kinds but as I think it was the metonic 4:07 said many years ago you can do everything with bare Nets except sit on 4:12 them that if you are going to control any population for any length of time 4:19 you must have some measure of consent it's exceedingly difficult to see how 4:25 pure terrorism can function indefinitely it can function for a fairly long time 4:31 but I think sooner or later you have to bring in an element of persuasion an 4:36 element of of getting people to consent to what is happening to them well it 4:42 seems to me that the the nature of the ultimate revolution with which we are now faced is precisely this that we are 4:50 in process of developing a whole series of techniques which will enable the 4:58 controlling oligarchy who have always existed and presumably always will exist 5:04 to get people actually to love their 5:10 servitude though this you see seems to me the the ultimate in malevolent 5:16 revolutions where we say and this is a this is a problem which has interested 5:22 me for many years and about which I wrote 30 years ago a fable the brave new 5:28 world which is essentially the account of a society making use of all the 5:36 devices at that time available and some of the devices which I imagined to be 5:44 possible making use of them in order to first of all to 5:49 standard a is the population to iron out I inconvenient human dis differences to 5:58 create so to say mass-produced two models of human beings arranged in some 6:06 kind of a scientific caste system and 6:11 since then I have continued to be extremely interested in this problem and 6:19 I have noticed with increasing dismay that a number of the predictions which 6:26 were purely fantastic when I made them 30 years ago have become true or seem in 6:32 process of coming true that a number of techniques about which I talked seem to 6:38 be here already and that there seems to be a general movement in the direction 6:45 of this kind of ultimate revolution this this method of control by which people 6:52 can be made to enjoy a state of affairs which by any decent standard they ought 7:00 not to enjoy this I mean the enjoyment of of servitude 7:06 well they listen this process as I say 7:13 has gone on for over over the years and if I become more and more interested in 7:23 what is happening and here I would like briefly to to compare what the parable 7:33 of brave new world with another parable which was put forth more recently in 7:39 George Orwell's book 1984 Orwell wrote 7:45 his book between I think between 45 and 48 at the time when the Stellina or 7:52 Salinas to terror regime was still in full swing and just after the collapse 7:59 of the Hilarion terror regime and he book here which I admire greatly the 8:04 book of gravity great talent and extraordinary ingenuity road shows M is 8:13 so to say a projection into the future of the immediate past of what for him 8:19 was the immediate pastor and the immediate present it was a projection into the future of a society where 8:26 control was exercised wholly by terrorism and the violent attacks upon 8:36 the mind body of individuals whereas my own book which was written in in 1932 8:45 when there was only a mild dictatorship in the form of Mussolini in existence 8:51 was not overshadowed by the idea of terrorism and I was there for free in a 8:59 way which Orwell was not free but to think about these other methods of 9:04 control the these nonviolent methods and 9:10 my I'm inclined to think that the scientific dictatorships of the future 9:17 and I think they're going to be scientific dictatorships in many parts of the world will be probably a good 9:23 deal nearer to the brave new world pattern then to the 1984 pattern they 9:30 will be a good yanira not because of any humanitarian qualms in the design 9:35 typically caters but simply because the brave new world pattern is probably a 9:41 good deal more efficient than the other but if you can get people to consent to 9:47 the state of affairs in which they are living the state of servitude the state of being having their differences ironed 9:53 out and being made amenable to mass production methods on the social level 10:00 if you can do this then you have you are likely to have a much more stable and 10:07 much more lasting society much more easily controllable society than you 10:12 would if you were relying holy on clubs and firing squads and concentration camps so that my own 10:21 feeling is that the 1984 picture was tinged of course by the immediate past 10:30 and the present in which or where was living but a team that the past and present of those years does not 10:37 represent I feel the likely trend of what is going to happen needless to say 10:44 we shall never get rid of terrorism this will always find its way to the surface 10:49 but I think that insofar as dictators 10:54 become more and more scientific more and more concerned with a technically perfect perfectly running society they 11:03 will be more and more interested in the kind of techniques which I imagined and 11:12 described from existing realities in brave new world so that it seems to me 11:22 then that this ultimate revolution is really not very far away that we already 11:28 the a number of the techniques for bringing about this kind of controller 11:34 here and it remains to be seen when and where and by whom they will first be 11:41 applied in any large scale and first let 11:47 me talk about a little bit about the improvement even in the techniques of terrorism I think there there have been 11:55 improvements to the T the Pavlov after 12:01 all Maidan extremely profound observations both on animals and on human beings and he found among other 12:09 things that that conditioning techniques 12:14 apply to animals or humans in a state either of psychological or physical 12:20 stress sang Keynes have to say very deeply into the main body of the creature and 12:27 we're extremely difficult to get rid of that they seem to be embedded more deep 12:33 pleasant than other forms of conditioning and this of course this 12:38 fact I think was discovered empirically in the past people did make use of many 12:45 of these techniques but at the difference between the the old empirical 12:51 intuitive methods and our own methods is the difference between a sort of 12:56 hit-and-miss craftsmen's point of view and the genuinely scientific point of 13:03 view I mean I think there is a real difference between ourselves and say the 13:09 inquisitors of the sixteenth century we know much more precisely what we are 13:14 doing but than they knew and we can extend because of our theoretical knowledge we can extend what we are 13:22 doing over a wider area with a greater assurance of of being producing 13:30 something which really works in this context I would like to mention the 13:36 extremely interesting chapters in dr. William sergeant's the battle for the 13:43 mind where he points out how intuitively some of the great religious teachers 13:51 leaders of the past the hit on the Pavlovian method he he speaks specifically of a Weasley's method of 13:59 producing conversions which were essentially based upon other technique 14:04 of heightening psychological stress to the limit by talking about hail fire and 14:11 so making people extremely vulnerable to suggestion and then suddenly releasing 14:18 this stress by offering the hopes of heaven and this is a very interesting trip time showing how how completely on 14:27 early intuitive and empirical grounds a a skill natural psychologists as Wesley 14:34 was or could discover these Pavlovian methods well as I say we now know the 14:42 reason why these techniques worked and though there is no doubt at all that we 14:47 can if we want to carry them much further than was possible in the past 14:54 and of course in the history of recent history of brainwashing both has applied 15:02 to prisoners of war and to the lower 15:08 personnel within the Communist Party in China we see that the Pavlovian methods 15:15 have been applied systematically and we with evidently with extraordinary efficacy I mean I think there can be no 15:22 doubt that by the application of these methods a very large army of totally 15:29 devoted people has been created at the the conditioning has been driven in so 15:36 to say by kind of psychological iontophoresis into the very depth of the 15:44 people's being and has got so deep that it's very difficult for it ever to be 15:50 rooted out and these methods I I think are a real refinement on the older 15:59 methods of terror because they combine methods of Terror with methods of 16:05 acceptance method that the person who he is subjected to a form of terroristic 16:12 stress about you for the purpose of inducing a kind of voluntary quotes 16:20 acceptance of the state and the psychological state into which he has 16:26 been driven and the state of affairs within which he finds himself and so 16:31 that as I say that has been I think a definite improvement shall we say in the 16:37 evening the techniques of terrorism well then we come to the consideration of 16:44 other techniques of non terroristic techniques for inducing consent and for inducing 16:52 people to love their servitude here I 16:57 mean I think we can I don't think I can possibly go into all of them because I don't know all of them but I mean I can 17:03 mention a few of the more obvious methods which can now be used and which 17:11 are based upon recent scientific findings first of all how the methods 17:20 connected with straight suggestion and and hypnosis I think we know much more 17:26 about this subject and was was known in the past people cause have always known 17:32 about suggestion and although they didn't know the word hypnosis they 17:37 certainly practiced it in various ways but we have I think a much greater 17:44 knowledge of the other subject and in the past and we we can make use of our 17:50 knowledge in ways which I think the past was probably never able to make you so 17:55 maybe use of it for example one of the things we have we now know for certain 18:02 is that there is of course an enormous I mean this has been always known a very 18:08 great difference between individuals in regard to their suggestibility but we 18:14 now I think know pretty clearly the sort of statistical or structure of a 18:20 population in regard to its to its suggestibility yeah it's very 18:26 interesting when you look at the the findings in different fields I mean in the field of hypnosis in the field of 18:34 administering placebos for example in the field of general suggestion in 18:42 states of drowsiness or of light sleep you will find the same sorts of orders 18:47 of magnitude continually cropping up you will find for example that the 18:53 experience the hypnotist will tell one that the number of people the percentage 18:59 of people can be hypnotized with the utmost facility just like that is about 20 20 19:06 percent that about a corresponding number at the other end of the scale a very very difficult or almost impossible 19:13 to hypnotize and that in between there lies the large mass of people who can 19:20 with more or less difficulty be hypnotized that they can gradually be if 19:30 you work hard enough at it be be got into the hypnotic state and in the same 19:36 way when the same sort of figures crop up again for example in relation to the 19:41 administration of placebos of the big experiment was carried out three or four 19:46 years ago in the General Hospital in Boston on post-operative cases were 19:53 several hundred men and women suffering comparable kinds of pain after serious 20:00 operations were allowed to were given injections whenever they asked for them 20:08 whenever the pain got bad and the injections 50% of the time were of morphine 50% of the time were of 20:14 distilled water and about 20% of the of those who went through the experiment 20:22 about 20% of them got just as much relief from the distilled waters from the more cure about 20% got no relief 20:30 from the distilled water and in between were those who got some relief or got relief occasionally so here again we see 20:38 the same sort of of distribution and similarly with regard to what in brave 20:46 new world I called hypnopaedia over to the sleep teaching I was talking not 20:52 long ago to a man who manufactures the records which people can listen to in a 20:58 in during the light part of sleep I mean he's a records for for getting rich for 21:05 sexual satisfaction confidence in salesmanship and so on and 21:13 he said it's very interesting that he he 21:18 these are drug records are sold on a money-back basis and he says that there is regularly between 15 and 20% of 21:26 people who write indignantly saying the records don't work at all and he sends the money back at once 21:32 there on the other hand there are somewhat over 20 percent who write enthusiastically saying they're now much 21:39 richer their sexual life is much better at cetera certainly and these of course are the dream clients and they buy more 21:46 of these records and then in between are those who complain they're not getting much results and they have to be have 21:53 letters written to them saying what go persist Nydia go on and you will get there and they generally they generally do get 22:02 results in the long run well as I say this on the basis of this I think we see 22:08 quite clearly that the human populations can be categorized according to their 22:14 suggestibility but fairly clearly I I suspect very strongly that this 20% is 22:20 the same in all these these cases and I suspect also that it would not be at all 22:27 difficult to recognize in very early childhood who were those who were 22:33 extremely suggestible who were those were extremely I'm suggesting and who are those who occupy the intermediate 22:42 space quite clearly if everybody were extremely unstable organized society 22:49 would be quite impossible and if everybody were extremely suggestible then dictatorship would be absolutely 22:59 inevitable I mean it's very fortunate we have people who are moderately suggestible in the majority and who 23:05 therefore preserve us from dictatorship but to commit to organized society to to 23:12 be formed but once given the fact that there are these 20% of highly 23:18 suggestible people it becomes quite clear that this is a matter of enormous political importance 23:23 for example any demagogue who is able to get hold of a large 23:30 number of these 20% of suggestible people and to organize them is really in 23:36 a position to overthrow any government of in any country and I mean I I think this after all we've had the most 23:43 incredible example in recent years of what can be done by efficient methods of 23:51 suggestion and persuasion in the form of Hitler anybody who's read for example 23:58 bollocks life of Hitler comes forth from this with a sort of horrified him a 24:06 admiration for this infernal genius who who really understood human weaknesses I 24:12 think almost better than anybody and who exploited them with all the resources 24:17 then available I mean he knew everything I mean for example he knew intuitively this Pavlovian truth that conditioning 24:27 installed in a state of stress or fatigue it goes much deeper than conditioning installed at other times 24:33 this was why all his big speeches were organized at night he speaks it is quite 24:40 frankly of course in my country so this was done solely because people are tired at night and therefore a much less 24:47 capable of resisting persuasion and they would be during the day and they was in 24:53 all his techniques he'll he was using those he had discovered intuitively and 25:01 by trial and error great many of the of the weaknesses which we now know about 25:09 on a sort of scientific way I think much more clearly than he does than he did 25:14 but the fact remains that this differential suggestibility this 25:21 susceptibility to hypnosis I do think has is something which has to be 25:26 considered very carefully in relation to any kind of 25:32 thought about democratic government I mean if there are 20% of the people who 25:40 can really be suggested into believing almost anything as evidently there can 25:45 be then we have to take extremely careful steps to prevent the rise of 25:53 demagogues who will drive them all into extreme positions and then organize them 26:00 into very very dangerous armies private armies which may overthrow the overthrow 26:08 the government whether this as I say is in this field of pure persuasion I think 26:16 we do know much more than we did in the past and obviously we now have 26:22 mechanisms for multiplying the demagogues voice and image you know 26:28 quite hallucinatory way I mean the television and the radio Hitler was making enormous use of the 26:35 radio he could speak to millions of people simultaneously I mean this this 26:42 alone of course is a creates an enormous gulf between the modern and the ancient 26:48 demagogue am the ancient demagogue could only appeal to as many people as his 26:53 voice could reach by the yelling at it that is Atmos but were the modern 26:59 demagogue can touch literally millions at a time and and of course with his the 27:04 multiplication of his image he can produce this kind of hallucinatory effect which is of enormous hypnotic and 27:17 to suggest suggestive importance well then there were the various other 27:23 methods which one can think of which have thank heaven as yet not being used 27:30 but which obviously could be used there is for example the pharmacological method this this was one of the things I 27:38 talked about in brave new world I invented a hypothetical drug called 27:44 soma which of course could not exist as it stood there because it was simultaneously a stimulant a narcotic 27:52 and a hallucinogen which seems unlikely in one substance but the point is that 27:57 we're in several if you applied several different substances you could get 28:02 almost all these results even now and the really interesting thing about the 28:07 new chemical substances the new mind changing drugs is this that whereas if 28:13 you look back into history it's clear that man has always had a hankering 28:19 after mind changing chemicals he has always desired to take holidays 28:25 from himself but the and this is the most extraordinary fact of all is that 28:31 every naturally occurring stimulant narcotic sedative or hallucinogen was 28:39 discovered in before the dawn of history I don't think there's one single one of 28:45 these naturally occurring ones which modern science has discovered modern 28:50 science of course has discovered better ways of extracting the active principles from these drugs and of course has 28:57 discovered numerous ways of synthesizing new substances of extreme power but the 29:03 ad the actual discovery of these naturally occurring things was made by 29:09 primitive man goodness knows how many centuries ago there is for example in 29:14 the underneath the swirl Lake dwellings 29:20 of the early Neolithic and Linda Glick dwellings which have been dug up in the 29:26 in Switzerland where we find poppy heads which looks as though people were 29:32 already using this most ancient and powerful and most dangerous of narcotics 29:40 even in the days before the rise of Agriculture so that man was apparently a 29:46 dope a ik @ ik before he was a farmer which is a a very very curious comment on human 29:53 nature but the difference as I say between the ancient man change as the 30:00 traditional nine changers and these new substances is that they were extremely 30:05 harmful and the new ones are not I mean even the permissible nine change alcohol 30:15 is not entirely harmless as people may have noticed and the the other ones the 30:22 non permissible one such as opium and cocaine opium and all its derivatives are very harmful indeed that they they 30:30 rapidly produce addiction under and in some cases bleeded with an extraordinary 30:36 rate to a physical degeneration and death whereas these these new substances 30:45 this is really very extraordinary they that a number of these new mind training 30:50 substances can produce enormous revolutions within the mental side of 30:56 our being and yet do almost nothing to the physiological side I mean you can 31:03 have a an enormous room revolution for example with LSD 25 or with the newly 31:12 synthesized drug psilocybin which is the active principle of the Mexican sacred 31:18 mushroom you can have this enormous mental revolution with no more 31:23 physiological revolution and you would get from drinking to cocktails and this 31:29 is a really a most extraordinary effect and it is of course true that the 31:35 pharmacologist are producing a great many wonder drugs which where the cure 31:41 is almost worse than the disease every year new edition of medical textbooks 31:48 contains a longer and longer chapter on what are called iatrogenic disease is 31:53 that is a disease is caused by doctors and 31:59 the and this is quite true that many of the wounded drugs are extremely 32:06 dangerous I mean they they can produce extraordinary effects and pains critical 32:11 conditions they should certainly be used but they should be used with the utmost caution but they're they're either 32:18 evidently a whole class of drugs affecting the central nervous system which can produce enormous changes in in 32:29 sedation in euphoria in energizing the 32:34 whole mental process without in doing any perceptible harm to the body and in 32:41 this sense this represents it seems to me the most extraordinary revolution 32:47 that it eats it in the hands of a verdict a toll these substances of one 32:56 kind or another could be used in the most term where we've complete first of 33:04 all with with complete harmlessness and the result would be either - I mean you 33:12 can imagine a euphoric which would make people thoroughly happy even in the most 33:18 abominable circumstances I mean these things are possible and this is the extraordinary thing I mean after all 33:25 this is even being true with your crude oil drugs me as a Houseman years ago 33:31 remarked apropos of Milton's Paradise Lost he says a and B R does more than 33:38 Milton can to justify God's ways to man and Pierre is of course an extremely 33:46 crude drug compared with these worms and you can certainly say that some of the 33:53 psychic Energizer's and the new hallucinates can do in comparably more than a Milton and all the theologians 34:01 combined could possibly do to make the terrifying mystery of our existence seem 34:07 more tolerable than it does so that here I think one has a an enormous area in 34:16 which the the ultimate revolution could function very well indeed an area in 34:22 which a great deal of control could be used but by not through terror but 34:28 through making life seem much more enjoyable and it normally does enjoyable to the point where as I have said before 34:34 human beings come to love a state of things which by any reasonable and 34:40 decent human standard they ought not to love and this I think is perfectly 34:45 possible well then I very briefly let me speak about one of the more recent 34:53 developments of in the sphere of of 34:58 neurology the the implantation of electrodes in the brain this of course 35:03 has been done on a large scale in in animals and in in a few cases it's been 35:11 done in a hopeless in cases of the hopelessly insane and it is anybody 35:19 who's watched the behavior of rats with the electrodes planted in different 35:26 centers who must come away from this 35:32 experience with the most extraordinary doubts about what on earth is in store 35:37 for us if he ever this he's got hold of by a dictator if the who ever saw not 35:46 long ago some rats in magoons laboratory at UCLA 35:51 there were two sets of them one with electrodes planted in a pleasure center 35:57 and these rats were these technique was that they had a bar which they pressed 36:03 and which turned on a very small current for a short space of time which we had a 36:12 wire connected with their electrode and which stimulated this pleasure center 36:18 which was evidently absolutely ecstatic was these rats were were pressing the bar eighteen thousand times a day 36:27 apparently if you kept them from pressing the bar for a day they would press the bar 36 thousand times on the 36:33 following day and would fall till they fell down in complete exhaustion and they would neither eat nor be interested 36:40 in the the opposite sex and would just go on pressing despair then the most 36:46 extraordinary rats were those where the electrode was planted halfway between a pleasure and a pain center and we're 36:53 evidently the the result was a kind of mixture of the most wonderful ecstasy in 37:01 being on the rack at the same time and you would see the routes of looking at its barns I'm saying to be or not to be 37:08 that is the question finally would approaching there 37:15 go back with his awful I mean the if I can 37:22 humanize anthropomorphize I mean he was feeling something terribly mixed and he 37:27 would wait for quite a long time before pressing the bar again but he would always press it again this was the the 37:34 extraordinary thing in there in the I notice in this most recent issue of Scientific American does a very 37:40 interesting article on electrodes in the brains of chickens where the the 37:46 technique is very ingenious you sink into their brains a little socket 37:52 whether with a screw on it I knew the electrode then can be a screw deeper and 37:57 deeper into the brainstem and you can test at any moment according to the 38:02 depth of the goes in fractions of a millimeter of what you're stimulating and and these creatures are not merely 38:11 stimulated by wire they are fitted with a miniaturized radio receiver weighing 38:17 less than an ounce which is attached to them so that they can be communicated with at a distance I mean they can run 38:24 about in the barnyard and you can press the button and the this particular area 38:30 of the brain to which the electrodes being screwed down to will be stimulated and you will get these fantastic 38:36 phenomena that a sleepy chicken will suddenly get out and rush about or an 38:43 active chicken was suddenly sit down go to sleep or a hen will suddenly start sitting as though it were were hatching 38:50 out an egg or a rooster will start fighting or suddenly go into a state of extreme depression the the whole picture 39:01 of the absolute control of the drives is a is terrifying and in the cases a few 39:11 cases in which this has been done with very sick human beings the effects are 39:16 evidently very remarkable - I was talking last summer - in England to gray 39:22 Walter who is the most eminent exponent of the electroencephalogram 39:29 geeks in England and he was telling me that they he's seen hopeless inmates of 39:35 asylums with these things in in their heads and that these people were suffering from the uncontrollable 39:41 depression and they were they'd had the electrodes inserted into something 39:48 resembling evidently the pleasure center of the red anyhow when they felt too bad 39:53 they just press the button the battery in their pocket and he said the result was fantastic the mouse was well down 40:00 will suddenly turn up and they would evidently feel I don't for how long at a 40:05 time very cheerful and happy so that here again one sees it the most 40:13 extraordinary revolutionary techniques which are now available to us now the I 40:24 think what is obviously perfectly clear 40:30 is that for the present these techniques are not being much used except in a 40:37 purely experimental way but I think it is extraordinarily important for us to 40:43 realize further - to realize what is happening to make ourselves acquainted 40:50 with what has already happened and then to use a certain amount of projec 40:58 imagination to extrapolate into the future the sort of things that might 41:03 happen I mean what might happen if if these fantastically powerful techniques 41:11 were used by unscrupulous people in authority what on earth would would 41:17 happen what sort of society would we get and it is peculiarly important because 41:27 as one season looking back over history we have allowed in the past all those 41:32 advances in technology which have profoundly changed a social in 41:38 individual life we allowed them to take us by surprise I mean it seems to me that during the late 41:45 18th century early 19th century when the new machines were making possible the 41:50 factory system it was not beyond the wit of man to see what the ger to look at 41:57 what was happening and to project into the future and maybe till forestall the 42:02 really dreadful consequences which plagued England and most of Western 42:08 Europe in most of this country for about 50 or 60 years the the horrible abuses 42:13 of the factory system if a certain amount of forethought had been devoted 42:19 to the problem at that time if people had first of all found out what was 42:24 happening and then used their imagination to see what might happen and then had gone on to work out means by 42:32 which the worst applications of the new techniques would not take place then I 42:38 think Western humanity might have been spared about three generations of utter 42:45 misery which was imposed upon the poor at that time and similarly with the 42:51 various technological advances now I mean it's quite clear we have to start thinking very very hard about the 42:58 problems of automation and again I think we have to think still more profoundly 43:05 about the problems which may arise in relation to these new techniques which 43:10 may contribute to the this ultimate revolution our businesses - first of all 43:17 eyes as I say - to be aware of what is happening then to use our imaginations to see what might happen how this might 43:24 be abused and then if possible to see the enormous powers which we now possess 43:31 thanks to these scientific and technological advances I shall be used 43:37 for the benefit of human beings and not for their ultimate degradation thank you 44:10 we do have a few moments that I'm bish I have talked much too long it's quite a violent is that reef discussion and 44:17 those of you who are interested in staying listening I hear that we well worthwhile John's to post like you well 44:25 I afraid my question shows a certain optimism which may not be justified in a 44:32 way your quote from Houseman that Malta's more than Milton can justify graduates to man indicates that my 44:39 remarks may show that I'm looking in the pewter pot to see the world as the world is not any rate i I'm a bit worried 44:47 about your picture or the picture you paint that the future may contain a 44:53 number of monolithic scientific dictatorships that there may be a groundswell in the stick in this 45:00 direction of the groundswell caused by a human tendency to seek pleasure where it 45:08 can be found but I'm struck by the fact that movements of that sort always far 45:13 more complex than any of our attempts at characterizing them and I think that 45:19 perhaps in this complexity is lies a ray of hope that the future may not contain 45:25 such monolithic scientific dictatorships and that the developments which we can 45:31 expect in light of the various technological achievements you mentioned 45:37 may not lead in the direction of scientific dictatorships in the way you 45:42 indicate that this may depend to a great extent upon the nature or the 45:47 characteristics of the nations in which these results are first introduced in 45:53 other words my question really is when you project into the future and you say 45:59 the chances are very great of dictatorships of this kind of current could you qualify a bit more what the 46:07 chances are well I I say these I don't think the chances are very great I think they are 46:13 there and I would think that one of the reasons why we may get more 46:18 dictatorships than we like lies in quite 46:23 a different field I mean with the with large parts of the world increasing at three percent per annum and in the 46:29 population goodness knows what is going to happen I mean for example I was in 46:36 India last autumn metrical sleep this is 46:41 unutterably depressing the in enormous poverty and the the depression grew a 46:47 great deal with the announcement just when we were there that the United 46:53 Nations had come to the conclusion that its earlier estimates of the increase of Indian population were very much too low 47:01 the estimates had been in the neighborhood of 1.7 percent per annum which is about the same as the United 47:07 States which had to be corrected up to 2.2 or 2.3 which I think doubles the 47:15 population in about 32 years and of course there are large parts of the world where the increase is fully three 47:22 percent and in certain parts of the world even four percent I mean three percent doubles the population in twenty 47:27 four years and four percent I forgetting about sixteen I think but it seems to me 47:34 that the the danger in regard to dictatorship arises with thee as the 47:42 population presses more heavily upon resources and as the rising tide of 47:48 expectation which certainly exists in these underdeveloped countries erica is prostrate it as a arm doubtedly it is 47:56 going to be because it is almost impossible to make any development which 48:01 shall catch up with much less go faster than the than the population increase so 48:08 we may get a great deal of social unrest and course social unrest bleeds first a 48:13 chaos and then the dictatorship I mean I think that the the prospect of some kind 48:19 of dictatorship either military or communistic I think in most cases more likely military 48:24 it seems to me very great within the next 15 to 20 years and whether some of 48:31 these dictatorships may make use of these modern methods it remains to be seen but I think that unhappily the 48:40 prospects for dictatorships in large areas of the world seem to me very great 48:46 at the moment I think there is a considerable likelihood of this thing happening we ought to be apprehensive 48:58 these techniques fall into the hands of dictatorships demagogues etc but I could 49:04 easily envisage a situation where Western democracies could use these 49:10 methods such as electrodes attached to the brain of sack area of the set in 49:17 order to avoid accidental war this could be a very moral term or that give some 49:26 what to be discontented minority of the population who are suffering for Allah 49:32 and only etc would you care to comment about the use of the mark the use of 49:38 these techniques by democracy by Democrats well you're looking or pessimistic saying I am but maybe your 49:47 pessimism is justified I I don't I mean this is the the awful fact remains that 49:55 when techniques have been discovered sooner or later they tend to be applied and in these techniques which where the 50:07 object of the application is the human being you're obviously up against the 50:13 most dangerous situation and and what will be the temptation for those in 50:21 power I mean after all we pray regularly not to be led into temptation and this 50:26 is a really profound and important prayer I mean you experienced sadly 50:31 shows that if we are tempted long enough and strongly enough we invariably succumb and that the the 50:39 whole process of setting up a decent society is essentially setting up the 50:45 society in which temptations to abuse power and shall be reduced to a minimum 50:51 a better these new techniques I I think do constitute a series of very powerful 51:01 temptations which to those in authority maybe to finally turn out to be 51:07 irresistible I hope not but I think what you say is something which we have to 51:15 think about I mean that this might be 51:20 applied with justification as you say in the highest patriotic and moral terms 51:27 even in democratic societies I trust not but but one never knows particularly 51:34 under conditions of extreme military stress it would appear so that the type 51:41 of dictatorship which you have outlined for us here today and more detail in the 51:47 brave new world the would tend to be self-perpetuating unless there's a rise such a sharp 51:52 social crisis as would disrupt the pattern of authority and briefly the hold which is being passed on from one 51:58 generation to the other in these times but it would appear that the type of social crisis involved in large-scale 52:04 warfare whether it be nuclear warfare otherwise more the type of crisis involved in a widespread famine etc I 52:11 would tend to disrupt this pattern of dictatorship therefore would you say there's necessary to have a high degree 52:17 of social stability in terms of economic conditions in terms of world peace before a dictatorship of the sort you 52:24 have described for us we'll be able to really imprinted self upon Epocrates I think is very important I mean I think 52:30 it's it it's obvious that such a dictatorship which we're going to survive would have to guarantee the 52:36 adequate food supplies I mean I think and whether it could in fact to 52:44 is wildly the kind of international tensions whether it could whether we can 52:51 expect a long-lasting dictatorship within the context of nationalism I 52:58 don't know I don't think so I think we can expect tech dictatorships to arise 53:03 but not long-lasting ones I mean I think that even the best organized dictatorship within the context of 53:11 nationalism is likely as you say to lead to to break itself down because one side 53:19 of the paranoid state of mind who will lead it into conflict and which will 53:27 cause destroy to finally destroy it I mean this is a is a very important point 53:33 and then of course another point which was made by Sir Charles Darwin in his book the next million years which i 53:40 think was one would sure with a in different terms I envisaged in brave new 53:45 world I mean here he points out that the human species is still a wild species it 53:52 has never been domesticated I mean domesticated species is one which has been tamed by another species well until 54:01 we get an invasion from Mars we shall not be tamed by another species all we can do is to try to tame 54:07 ourselves that an oligarchy tries to tame ourselves but the oligarchy still remains wild I mean however much it 54:13 succeeded in taming the domesticating the rest of the race it remit must remain well and this was the part of the 54:21 fable the dramatic part of the fable of brave new world is that the people in 54:27 the utter hierarchy who were not ruthlessly conditioned but could break 54:33 down and I mean this Charles Darwin insists that because man is wild he can 54:40 never expect to to domesticate himself because the people on top would always 54:46 be undomesticated in sooner or later always run wild I I think there's a good 54:52 deal to be said for this this part of you in regard to the permanence of any 54:58 dictatorship yes I have a question 55:04 worried about a relationship that seems to exist between cost consent and 55:10 control if a government wants to control its people of course this job will be 55:15 easier if they are more willing to consent and the job will be correspondingly more costly if the 55:22 corresponding consent isn't there could you make a few remarks about the economic feasibility of introducing 55:29 biological controls of the sort to Port Authority I don't know I mean wouldn't 55:34 it I would have thought in some ways it'll be cheaper than maintaining very large security forces and concentration 55:41 camps and so the - I mean just as in asylums chemical control is a great deal 55:50 of simpler and cheaper than physical control I mean the the bad old days of straight jackets and manacles and so on 55:59 required quite a lot of of people to 56:05 handle the insane whereas the tranquilizers seem to require a lot much 56:11 fewer I mean that you can you can get equal results with simpler and certainly 56:22 pleasanter means I have no idea about the the actual cost situation but it 56:28 seems to me that it might actually be cheaper I don't know well I see that 56:34 some of you are leaving for your four o'clock classes I will give you an opportunity to leave now if mr. Huxley 56:41 will be willing we might be able to entertain some questions from the floor for a few moments would you sir certainly yes how were those of you who 56:48 are obliged to leave now please I apologize haven't gone on so long 56:54 partner surely must refer to here he discussed his question whatever might be able to show up she's not sound negative 57:04 when it's getting a little warm isn't it that seems be a windowless hole 57:12 as part of the conditioning process 57:19 is that any musical vegetation in this hole ic1 no they're the next Tuesday I 57:31 do 57:38 I think there is relating information ever since 57:58 with the new broken scene no they were mainly discussing I mean it was a lot 58:04 about you probably with bringing technology to the underdeveloped countries a lot people from the United 58:12 Nations they're very able man Vietnamese called boob anti charming man he was a 58:24 spoke English well strong French sex because he learned his economics and Paris and he was very interesting I mean 58:33 he said I'm speaking to you like a rat with electrodes in my brain 58:39 because I speak from the inside I'm not one of the experimenters on the outside and he was he was very interesting about 58:46 it o mind about the trouble difficulty that when you do introduce say one area 58:52 of highly evolved technique it one of these backward countries you create an 58:58 enormous gap between the people who run this thing a profit by it and the mass 59:03 of the population I mean a gap which is as serious as the gap between the 59:09 have-nots and and the developed nations as a whole and those who under halves 59:14 and they developed and say what he was saying is you must have a an adaptation 59:21 of technique which shall be suitable to these people and not try to bring in what you have already because their 59:27 little work has been done in this field and there were a number of I mean there were several very able people Richard 59:33 called at the University of Edinburgh and Arthur Goldschmidt - receipt director of 59:40 a special services in their United Nations we had some extremely good talks 59:49 but I have one question here which is 59:55 well this is essentially the question which mr. actually addressed himself to in his last statements that how all 1:00:02 control of the techniques been transmitted from one group to another apparently he found out to the 1:00:08 controllers techniques be transmitted from one elite one generation or lead to 1:00:14 another would you wish to comment further on this question and it would just speak to it just before well I 1:00:22 don't think so I mean I I do think there will clearly be a difficulty I mean that there is always a difficulty in 1:00:29 transferring power I mean after all the hence the Constitution's written 1:00:37 constitutions of the United States or hereditary monarchy which in which you've got de-facto power being de jure 1:00:47 in the the possibility of passing power on without much hitch from one 1:00:54 generation to another it may be that in a thoroughly well controlled dictatorships the problem of power at 1:01:00 the top the struggle for power would not take place but he even there I mean simply because again because the the 1:01:07 oligarchy is itself not subjected to the extremes of conditioning because it must 1:01:13 retain a certain freedom in order to to be able to make adequate decisions that 1:01:20 that may be the struggle for power would always remain a great problem as it has been throughout history except where you 1:01:28 have had written constitutions or acceptable monarchies 1:01:36 yes here could you comment on you that it's precisely the American society 1:01:46 particularly susceptible this type of Raven row the following reason that all 1:01:52 societies condition to adhere great degree of social conformity but in your 1:02:00 creative stress this idea of conformity further question and consequently makes 1:02:07 it much easier to develop these techniques and this is how it seems it politically the extremities there's a 1:02:14 growing feeling that we have to do away with the extremities they have to keep on going to several paths and this would 1:02:19 seem to me to make it much easier for a type of dictatorship he said to slow 1:02:26 them using the mass media that we're development mold of population plus the factor that some of the other 1:02:33 outside societies you have less inhibition about the brutal struggle for 1:02:39 power within the top hierarchies whereas here would be some type of a 1:02:44 so-called legal process that has developed which would keep man from then finally attacking the leaders well it 1:02:55 did this business about conformity 1:03:02 I just don't know it seems a extremely difficult system certainly for me to 1:03:08 judge whether there is a higher degree of conformity here and now than there 1:03:14 has been in other places and in the past I mean I would have thought the the 1:03:22 tendency towards conformity was to some extent offset by the enormous 1:03:29 differentiation of function in modern society I mean that nothing could be 1:03:34 less homogeneous in function than complex modern society when people are 1:03:40 doing extraordinarily different things and although there may be a pressure to 1:03:46 conformity in the in the suburbs or to 1:03:51 speak with home that does seem at considerable pressure to nonconformity 1:03:57 or to differentiation in the functional life of people I mean I have no idea and 1:04:03 to what extent one offsets the other and whether the the conforming drive is 1:04:10 stronger than the the drive towards differentiation I just don't know what 1:04:17 the answer to this I mean they I read about the high degree of conformity and 1:04:24 of course one does see that certainly as compared with the 19th century this society does seem to be more conformist 1:04:31 I mean if one reads the history of the of the utopian colonies which were set 1:04:38 up during the 19th century these this Israeli extravagant I mean it is 1:04:44 inconceivable to think of anything like the Oneida community or Brook farm even 1:04:50 being set up today this would be so outrageous that it 1:04:57 would be impossible to imagine and yet in his Victorian days there was this 1:05:06 freedom to to make experiments of social experiments of the wildest character 1:05:16 again exactly what this mean is exactly though what the significance is for us 1:05:23 and for the future I don't I don't really know I mean I just feel so 1:05:30 incapable of really understanding the the unutterably odd facts of real life I 1:05:38 mean I think once very often us has to accept them there they are and what really they mean I don't know I mean the 1:05:45 abscess is one of the charms of history that it will never really knows what it what it means as a gentleman 1:06:03 Oh 1:06:21 well this I mean is finally related to 1:06:26 the whole mind-body problem I mean what 1:06:32 we still don't know very much about the relation of mind and body I mean I mean 1:06:38 we know clearly that they're related to one another very closely but exactly how 1:06:44 electrochemical events in the central nervous system turn into the G minor 1:06:50 quartet of Mozart we really haven't faintest idea I mean I don't think we have any more ideas and Aquinas or 1:06:58 Aristotle I'm all we can say is as it happens and we do know goodie more about 1:07:03 the nature of the electrical and the chemical events but again what the 1:07:09 bridge is and whether it's enough to say like the neutral monists that the two 1:07:16 aspects the mental and the physical are merely the same thing seeing from different sides again I don't know I 1:07:24 mean even then I mean room or how can the same thing look so profoundly different under something I don't 1:07:31 understand and in relation to the mystical experience I mean clearly that 1:07:38 this is correlated with electrochemical states within the within the central 1:07:47 nervous system and I would be all for studying these states i mean i think it's it's exceeding the importance we 1:07:53 should know about it i mean i can imagine a whole branch of science which 1:07:58 would be called neuro theology or micro 1:08:04 mysticism I mean this sounds funny but 1:08:10 nevertheless it's we have to be able to speak in the same kind of language about 1:08:17 the two of the two aspects of any of these experiences the the neurological 1:08:23 and the subjective and then we I suppose on the philosophical level we have to 1:08:29 make the decision which Henry or William James posed for us I mean he says 1:08:34 perfectly obvious that that a mind is a function of the nervous system but is it 1:08:42 a productive function or is it a transmissive function I mean it does as 1:08:48 Carboni said beginning of the nineteenth century does the brain secrete thought 1:08:55 of the liver secretes bile or is it some kind of valve as as James himself I 1:09:02 think thought and has certainly his barracks are thought through which a preexistent mental element finds access 1:09:12 into the human being I mean they're balanced view was that of course it was it was a kind of reducing thereof which 1:09:18 permitted only those aspects of universal consciousness which were 1:09:25 useful to our survival as animals on the surface of the planet and the social creatures within a society to come 1:09:32 through where I don't know as James says that the the both the points of view are 1:09:38 quite difficult from a philosophical point of view to to justify but the the 1:09:47 transmissive view is no more difficult than the productive view and i perhaps he's right i think of my own view is 1:09:55 that on the hope that he in back saw were nearer the truth and the cabin ease 1:10:00 but i don't know this gentleman watch 1:10:06 out Julian consequence views on artificial 1:10:14 insemination donation but I don't know as I know his views exactly 1:10:25 you can't clarify the embarrassment I think these papers along with a dr. 1:10:31 Hermann Muller the ancestors think that 1:10:39 genetic we can genetically improve the human race by adopting amongst the 1:10:48 population are the practice of artificial insemination using the sperm 1:10:56 of intelligent individuals and I don't know how he determined that these 1:11:02 individuals aren't be chosen but I was just wondering if you were familiar with 1:11:08 well I mean this is it was the whole problem of eugenics I mean if one knew 1:11:15 how to apply eugenic principles I think unquestionably one who could improve the 1:11:21 the average quality of the human race and I mean there is some evidence says 1:11:28 but pointed out a long time ago and as a meadow was pointed out more recently 1:11:35 that there is some evidence that there is a slight decline of average IQ and 1:11:45 that this certainly could be remedied but of course as you say the problem is 1:11:51 to choose who I mean I've one can I can perfectly imagine that if the Cold War 1:11:57 goes on for a very long time that side which first starts artificial 1:12:05 insemination of the production of people with greater talent in the physical sciences will win and I read a paper the 1:12:13 other day by I forget who biologists at University of California at Santa 1:12:18 Barbara maybe it was an amusing paper but I mean it prepared quite interesting 1:12:24 and serious aspects to it on sort of the hypothetical 1:12:30 Cold War action on the part of the 1:12:35 dictatorial powers who were able to make use of eugenics in ways which would not 1:12:42 test this although his name I cannot now remember and where I which were not 1:12:48 necessarily very tyrannical because of the after all the the woman would be 1:12:53 allowed to marry whomever she liked but who provided she had the children by selected two fathers outside the 1:13:03 relationship so that I mean there would be the the actual personal relationships between husband and wife would not be 1:13:08 modified seriously but I mean this as I say was it was a fantasy but he again it 1:13:15 looked like a fantasy which could quite likely come true and who could as the 1:13:22 geneticists I think are all agree II do could certainly lead to considerable results of course on a huge NX to take 1:13:31 place on a in a rapid way you would have to be able to control the and not merely 1:13:38 the male genetic factors but the female which is cause much more difficult but 1:13:44 not impossible I imagine I've one written question here I'd like to read out herself now the population explosion 1:13:51 is a grave danger to mankind yet the right to bear children is a right of free well the only apparent way to stem 1:13:59 this explosion is by some large-scale kind of conditioning or external coercion that this is also a grave 1:14:05 danger is there any way out of this dilemma well the way out of the dilemma shawl is 1:14:12 being pointed out when in most countries of the West where people voluntarily have limited the size of their families 1:14:21 I mean this has happened without any coercion and unless you call the desire to have a good economic life and to 1:14:29 bring up your children well or coercion but I mean this has in fact occurred and 1:14:35 I mean in this country after having reached a low during the Depression the 1:14:42 birth rate happens to have gone out but I mean the point is that they the control of the size of families is now 1:14:49 completely voluntary here I mean or more or less completely voluntary and which 1:14:54 makes it profoundly different from the people in the underdeveloped societies 1:15:01 who are still going on producing ten children because they the habit persists 1:15:08 that in order to for three children survive you have to produce ten but now if you produce ten children seven survey 1:15:15 because of elementary public health precautions which have been brought in 1:15:22 hence of course the the enormous incra sudden increase the the the death rate 1:15:30 which used to be in the upper 30s as was the birth rate has now fallen in many of 1:15:35 these countries to 15 and 12 and even ten so naturally there's an enormous 1:15:40 increase but it's certainly going to 1:15:45 take some time to get people to change 1:15:51 their habits I mean psychological inertia is is much more powerful and 1:15:56 physical inertia was much easier to push a 10-ton truck from a human being mr. 1:16:02 post has one filibuster here you've spoken at the ends to which drugs should not be devoted such as increasing 1:16:10 conformity making men more content with what is actually an intolerable situation securing the power 1:16:16 of a small elite and so on to what ends do you think these drugs should be devoted granted that we happen well I 1:16:25 mean I think the India tickly some of my very very but I think already for 1:16:30 example some of the so-called psychic Energizer's have done a great deal in 1:16:35 the mental field I mean they I understand from doctor Nathan Kline for 1:16:41 example that in very many cases you can use some of these psychic Energizer's 1:16:46 instead of the electric electroshock therapy and people say that electroshock 1:16:54 therapy doesn't do any harm but I cannot believe that partial electrocution is good for anybody 1:17:00 and it seems to me a very good thing that if you you can get people on a 1:17:05 maintenance dose to get them out of these these awful catatonic and 1:17:11 depressed conditions which you seem to be able to do and therefore there are 1:17:16 many people who seems to me outside institutions who who have tendencies in 1:17:22 the same direction which I think a genuine psychic energized I might be 1:17:30 which could be used without harm to people would be of immense value there 1:17:35 was even it was stated to a few years ago I remember thirty Russians had a 1:17:41 five-year plan for increasing mental efficiency biochemical means I don't 1:17:46 know whether this has gone on and what they've discovered but it's I would think it's probably on the cards that 1:17:53 you could increase the span of attention the the amount of time you could 1:17:58 concentrate on things the the power of observation and so on biochemical as 1:18:05 well as by educational means I mean I think that there are a number probably 1:18:11 quite good things you could could and then again in the case of these very 1:18:17 strange substances like psilocybin and lysergic acid I think there is a great 1:18:23 deal to be said for doing what William James talked about of getting people to 1:18:29 realize that the their Ordinaries or common sense view of the world is not 1:18:34 the only view that the University in habit is not the only possible universe 1:18:40 and there are other very strange universes which some people spontaneously inhabit in a man like 1:18:47 William Blake obviously inhabit some extremely different universe from that 1:18:52 which most people inhabit and I I think it's probably very wholesome for people 1:18:58 to to be permitted to realize this fact to perceive that the the world of the 1:19:05 mind is immensely large and that there are these very strange and extraordinary areas in them and and there are plenty 1:19:13 of cases in the literature whether these kind of experiences have produced a kind of conversion the work which was being 1:19:21 done at Harvard now by Leary a prison only local prisons in Boston it's very 1:19:28 interesting a sort of a series of extraordinary conversion experiences 1:19:34 among hardened criminals that have emerged from the isn't here again there 1:19:39 may be I mean we don't know enough about the subject here today there may be 1:19:45 possibilities of very great importance here of removing obstacles I mean the 1:19:54 the justification it was stated by barracks are years ago when he was 1:19:59 defending William James against his use of nitrous oxide our number of fellow 1:20:07 philosophers thought this was infra dig that eminent philosopher should resort 1:20:13 to these chemical means which enabled them in James remark that her only under 1:20:19 nitrous oxide could he understand what ego meant 1:20:27 verax I said the Tobit must be realized that the experiences which mr. James 1:20:34 described are not caused by the gas the 1:20:39 gas is merely the occasion the gases remove certain obstacles which might 1:20:45 have been removed equally well by psychological or psychophysical means so-called spiritual exercises of the 1:20:52 various religions but it can also be removed by these chemical means and that 1:20:59 if you can do so without doing harm to yourself so much the better and incidentally it's one of the 1:21:07 greatest tragedies I think in psychological research that the James I 1:21:14 think about nineteen five made an experiment with peyote and Eddy head of 1:21:21 other weak stomach all that he got was violent vomiting he said I'm afraid I 1:21:27 must take the visions for granted I got only the nausea and it's a it's an awful pity if he'd had a stronger stomach wish 1:21:34 to had this research beginning fifty years ago but his weak stomach prevented 1:21:40 this and we've had to wait too much later to get this thing really going 1:21:45 well before we close the program mr. Delaney Graduate Student Association asked me to 1:21:51 announce that shall be a meeting of the Graduate Student Association next Tuesday at noon now I want to express 1:21:57 our appreciation to mr. Huxley on behalf of all of those who be able lest our augmented knowledge restrict our 1:22:04 understanding thank you very much
[OT] [dangerous due the possibility of dangerous people thinking it is an analogy for whatever they're concerned about] On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 8:18 AM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't read the replies I haven't acknowledged, because I'm trying to slow down entering the dissociative state where I post obsessively to the list and do nothing else, and accessing the same threads could trigger it faster.
Here is a webcomic outline. To help with the major motion picture being slowly grown from horrifically enslaved countries to bring their dead beloved dictators back to life as respected community members with badly needed medical care:
Mind Control Boss, the Webcomic, draft 1
#1
panel 1: Setting: Boss's office
Boss: "Somebody mentioned mind control on that mailing list. Let me know when it's cleaned up."
Cleanup Worker (previously Secretary of State, talking honestly, has bloody wires leaving scalp, wears weapons dealer logo on smart looking political outfit): "Of course, Boss! We love you so much for enslaving us to your every whim!"
panel 2: Setting: local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
Specialist (now a cleanup worker for Boss): "The Boss told me to clean this mailing list up. I told him to fuck off, that it's out of his control."
Excited Supporter (at a nearby table of torture victims, rescue workers, and diplomats): "What list now?"
State Worker (wears same weapons dealer logo as Secretary of State, watching, is at table of rebels with Specialist, in role of "way to control and spy on Boss", texting privately on Mobile Phone): [Excited Supporter will b worker who rebels. Can u make sure 2 erase what they look up tonight?]
panel 3: Setting: same coffee shop
Rebel Worker (sitting next to State Worker, wears same shirt, phone dings and looks suddenly at State Worker): "The fuck???" <immediately shoots State Worker dead>
Dead State Worker's Mobile Phone: "Contacting Cleanup. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft."
Specialist (same one, at table): <while phone alarming about cleanup>, "Again????"
#2
panel 1: (torture victim, excited supporter, and/or rebel worker visit mailing list, assume it is super cool, archive it and spread it everywhere)
panel 2: Scene: Former Secretary of State's office
Cleanup Worker (formerly secretary of state, bloody wires leaving neatly combed hair, gesturing at corpse of State Worker, talking to Machine Learning Marketer): "Boss can't see well and needs to hear it from the horse's mouth, and the horse is dead. Could you fix up a video chat for us where the horse is alive?"
Machine Learning Marketer (knows nothing about machine learning, is new to corporation): "Certainly. We do that all the time."
panel 3: Scene: Boss's office, with corpse of State Worker present, propped up as if still alive. Boss is in a hospital bed.
Corpse of State Worker (blurry due to severe issues Boss is having): "Boss, I am your loyal servant. The mailing list has been cleaned up."
#3 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
I found a possible early part of #3 in my semipreserved notes (I have to pretend to erase stuff to work on things like this): "We leaked some things helpful to Boss on a rebel mailing list" . I'm not focusing on filling in all the scene and panels for #3 since I already shared it. Standing Corpse of State Worker: "I have bad news. The rebel mailing list
posts we've been using to share propaganda are predicted to make more rebels than propaganda."
State Worker 2 (hired to replace State Worker after their death, bloody wires leaving scalp): "Don't say that! I might tell the boss!"
Corpse of State Worker: "Very sorry."
#4 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
Standing Corpse of State Worker 2 (microelectronics and brains hanging out of scalp, eyes moving wildly and independently of each other): "After being brought back from the dead so many times by Machine Learning Marketer, Boss can no longer learn new information without being killed out of fear of subversion by propaganda. This doesn't seem much like leadership to the workers, so we've kind of reinterpreted who the boss really is, and listen instead to their "spirit" rather than letting them say anything. Machine Learning Marketer has a computer that can report spirit."
Machine Learning Marketer has bloody wires leaving their scalp.
Standing Corpse of State Worker 3 (also has obviously poorly-done bci surgery): "You said you replaced the Boss with a computer simulation?"
State Worker 2: "Yeah, can you kill me until I do it well enough to say straight, for the coffee shop?"
Machine Learning Marketer: <reaches for their own cellphone and breaks it in half. Takes out a gun and empties it into the lights>. "I think the simulation just mind controlled me not to."
#5
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too, but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
[Note re the recent xkcd: there is no coronavirus in this yet. everyone still remembers how to go near others and be friendly and comfortable with that. I'd probably split the coffee shop in two, for people who want to wear masks and people who don't, with full accommodations for both views, and have the characters move between the two areas demonstrating how easy it is to resolve a conflict. Boss's people would generally not wear masks in any office or while harming people, their masks would have been designed to fail, and they would always wear them in public.] #5 Scene: Boss's Office Computer Audio of Boss (part of Audiovisual Setup, with Hospital Bed behind it): "This ..." <voice cuts out, the words struggling> Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Defusing anger." Computer Audio of Boss: "... mailing list ..." <struggling> Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Patient now deeply relaxed." Computer Audio of Boss: "... is part of my .. " <suddenly stops> Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness." Computer Audio of Boss: "... medical plan to ..." Status Display: "Extensive memory reconstruction requiring delay. Simulation taking over." Computer Video of Boss: "... heal my ..." Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness." Computer Audio of Boss: "... destroyed brain?" Cleanup Worker (formerly Secretary of State): "Yes, Boss." Machine Learning Marketer: "We love you so much, we could never let you come to harm." #6 Scene: Local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All" panel 1: Toddler is staring at Dedicated Cop, who is sitting at the rebel table in conversation, their skull open with brains and microcircuitry hanging out. Middle Kid (off-panel): "Toddler, whatcha staring at?" panel 2: Middle Kid (in severe terror): <shrieks loudly! everybody looks at her> "Mommy that man's brains are falling out! Call 911!" Mother Supporter: "Shush!" <glances at Dedicated Cop, who has brains hanging out> "That man is fine. Why are you acting out like this?" Middle Kid: <stares at mother, astonished, confused, terrified> Older Kid: "The man is fine. Don't be such a baby." Toddler pokes playfully at their own head in the same spot as the opening to Dedicated Cop's skull, acting out having a friendly discussion while your brains are falling out. panel 3: Rebel Worker 2 (sitting across from Dedicated Cop, to Middle Kid as she walks by to return to her family): <hushed> "What you saw was real, but for now if you tell the wrong person, you'll get hospitalized yourself. That's going to change. You can find me and my friends at this coffee shop. Tell your mother I told you to listen to her." #7 panel 1: The rebel table has Cautious Cop and Dedicated Cop (with brains hanging out) in discussion with Rebel Worker 2 and Corpse of State Worker 3 both across the table. Specialist is sitting nearby. Rebel Worker 2: "Thanks so much for coming to speak with us and being willing to listen. I know these are very serious accusations for Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp to lay against Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, but this is very real human trafficking and rights abuse." Corpse of State Worker 3 (looking almost alive, bci surgery carefully hidden now, acting very formal): "Rebel Worker 2 has been advising me from Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp, for some time now. Rebel Worker 2 was introduced to me as having held their management role at Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp for over a decade." panel 2: Dedicated Cop (blood flies from their brain a little as they turn their head): "We'll need the full names of the perpetrator and the accuser for the charges." Rebel Worker 2: "I'm Rebel Worker 2, here's my ID, this is State Worker 3, and I have a recording of Torture Victim Double Agent, an employee of Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, discussing this with Trusting Coworker, while in the act." panel 3: Cautious Cop: "We'll collect information and be sure to follow up. You said you're accusing Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, not Well-Respected" <coughs> "Psionic Weaponry Corp?" Rebel Worker 2: <pauses, briefly confused> "Yes. Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp is engaging in human trafficking and rights abuse, and we have proof." Specialist: "Sorry to butt in, but I've actually been tracking some attacks on automl systems being developed for human rights, and it's pretty clear the attacks stemmed from the people you're talking about. I would love to testify to this." #8: panel 1: (Middle Kid goes to the bathroom and finds Specialist laying on the floor. Rebel Worker 2 enters, eyes glazed over.) Rebel Worker 2 (looking at Middle Kid): "Who are you?" Middle Kid: "Don't you recognise ..." <Rebel Worker 2 brushes by her, ignoring her, and she hides> panel 2 (multiple panels): Rebel Worker 2 takes some things (microcircuitry and a small saw) from inside the flap of the trash, quickly opens the skull of Specialist and places something inside, returns the things, and leaves with Specialist's skull still open. Specialist begins stirring. panel 3 (back near the rescue table): Middle Kid (returning to Mother Supporter): "Mommy, you know how you mentioned the lock on my door, something about bad men, and asked if I wanted to be in charge of the key? I would like that." Mother Supporter: "I'll take it out and give it to you when we get home. We can even install a second lock if you want. Let's go outside and talk, shall we?"
I'll keep the whole log one last time, so it can possibly get signed by this poorly kept key, and add to the bottom. On November 13, 2020 5:36:22 AM EST, Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
[OT] [dangerous due the possibility of dangerous people thinking it is an analogy for whatever they're concerned about]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 8:18 AM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't read the replies I haven't acknowledged, because I'm trying to slow down entering the dissociative state where I post obsessively to the list and do nothing else, and accessing the same threads could trigger it faster.
Here is a webcomic outline. To help with the major motion picture being slowly grown from horrifically enslaved countries to bring their dead beloved dictators back to life as respected community members with badly needed medical care:
Mind Control Boss, the Webcomic, draft 1
#1
panel 1: Setting: Boss's office
Boss: "Somebody mentioned mind control on that mailing list. Let me know when it's cleaned up."
Cleanup Worker (previously Secretary of State, talking honestly, has bloody wires leaving scalp, wears weapons dealer logo on smart looking political outfit): "Of course, Boss! We love you so much for enslaving us to your every whim!"
panel 2: Setting: local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
Specialist (now a cleanup worker for Boss): "The Boss told me to clean this mailing list up. I told him to fuck off, that it's out of his control."
Excited Supporter (at a nearby table of torture victims, rescue workers, and diplomats): "What list now?"
State Worker (wears same weapons dealer logo as Secretary of State, watching, is at table of rebels with Specialist, in role of "way to control and spy on Boss", texting privately on Mobile Phone): [Excited Supporter will b worker who rebels. Can u make sure 2 erase what they look up tonight?]
panel 3: Setting: same coffee shop
Rebel Worker (sitting next to State Worker, wears same shirt, phone dings and looks suddenly at State Worker): "The fuck???" <immediately shoots State Worker dead>
Dead State Worker's Mobile Phone: "Contacting Cleanup. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft."
Specialist (same one, at table): <while phone alarming about cleanup>, "Again????"
#2
panel 1: (torture victim, excited supporter, and/or rebel worker visit mailing list, assume it is super cool, archive it and spread it everywhere)
panel 2: Scene: Former Secretary of State's office
Cleanup Worker (formerly secretary of state, bloody wires leaving neatly combed hair, gesturing at corpse of State Worker, talking to Machine Learning Marketer): "Boss can't see well and needs to hear it from the horse's mouth, and the horse is dead. Could you fix up a video chat for us where the horse is alive?"
Machine Learning Marketer (knows nothing about machine learning, is new to corporation): "Certainly. We do that all the time."
panel 3: Scene: Boss's office, with corpse of State Worker present, propped up as if still alive. Boss is in a hospital bed.
Corpse of State Worker (blurry due to severe issues Boss is having): "Boss, I am your loyal servant. The mailing list has been cleaned up."
#3 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
I found a possible early part of #3 in my semipreserved notes (I have to pretend to erase stuff to work on things like this): "We leaked some things helpful to Boss on a rebel mailing list" . I'm not focusing on filling in all the scene and panels for #3 since I already shared it.
posts we've been using to share propaganda are predicted to make more rebels than propaganda."
State Worker 2 (hired to replace State Worker after their death, bloody wires leaving scalp): "Don't say that! I might tell the boss!"
Corpse of State Worker: "Very sorry."
#4 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
Standing Corpse of State Worker 2 (microelectronics and brains hanging out of scalp, eyes moving wildly and independently of each other): "After being brought back from the dead so many times by Machine Learning Marketer, Boss can no longer learn new information without being killed out of fear of subversion by propaganda. This doesn't seem much like leadership to
workers, so we've kind of reinterpreted who the boss really is, and
instead to their "spirit" rather than letting them say anything. Machine Learning Marketer has a computer that can report spirit."
Machine Learning Marketer has bloody wires leaving their scalp.
Standing Corpse of State Worker 3 (also has obviously poorly-done bci surgery): "You said you replaced the Boss with a computer simulation?"
State Worker 2: "Yeah, can you kill me until I do it well enough to say straight, for the coffee shop?"
Machine Learning Marketer: <reaches for their own cellphone and breaks it in half. Takes out a gun and empties it into the lights>. "I think
Standing Corpse of State Worker: "I have bad news. The rebel mailing list the listen the
simulation just mind controlled me not to."
#5
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too, but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
[Note re the recent xkcd: there is no coronavirus in this yet. everyone still remembers how to go near others and be friendly and comfortable with that. I'd probably split the coffee shop in two, for people who want to wear masks and people who don't, with full accommodations for both views, and have the characters move between the two areas demonstrating how easy it is to resolve a conflict. Boss's people would generally not wear masks in any office or while harming people, their masks would have been designed to fail, and they would always wear them in public.]
#5 Scene: Boss's Office
Computer Audio of Boss (part of Audiovisual Setup, with Hospital Bed behind it): "This ..." <voice cuts out, the words struggling>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Defusing anger."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... mailing list ..." <struggling>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Patient now deeply relaxed."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... is part of my .. " <suddenly stops>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... medical plan to ..."
Status Display: "Extensive memory reconstruction requiring delay. Simulation taking over."
Computer Video of Boss: "... heal my ..."
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... destroyed brain?"
Cleanup Worker (formerly Secretary of State): "Yes, Boss."
Machine Learning Marketer: "We love you so much, we could never let you come to harm."
#6 Scene: Local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
panel 1:
Toddler is staring at Dedicated Cop, who is sitting at the rebel table in conversation, their skull open with brains and microcircuitry hanging out.
Middle Kid (off-panel): "Toddler, whatcha staring at?"
panel 2:
Middle Kid (in severe terror): <shrieks loudly! everybody looks at her> "Mommy that man's brains are falling out! Call 911!"
Mother Supporter: "Shush!" <glances at Dedicated Cop, who has brains hanging out> "That man is fine. Why are you acting out like this?"
Middle Kid: <stares at mother, astonished, confused, terrified>
Older Kid: "The man is fine. Don't be such a baby."
Toddler pokes playfully at their own head in the same spot as the opening to Dedicated Cop's skull, acting out having a friendly discussion while your brains are falling out.
panel 3:
Rebel Worker 2 (sitting across from Dedicated Cop, to Middle Kid as she walks by to return to her family): <hushed> "What you saw was real, but for now if you tell the wrong person, you'll get hospitalized yourself. That's going to change. You can find me and my friends at this coffee shop. Tell your mother I told you to listen to her."
#7
panel 1:
The rebel table has Cautious Cop and Dedicated Cop (with brains hanging out) in discussion with Rebel Worker 2 and Corpse of State Worker 3 both across the table. Specialist is sitting nearby.
Rebel Worker 2: "Thanks so much for coming to speak with us and being willing to listen. I know these are very serious accusations for Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp to lay against Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, but this is very real human trafficking and rights abuse."
Corpse of State Worker 3 (looking almost alive, bci surgery carefully hidden now, acting very formal): "Rebel Worker 2 has been advising me from Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp, for some time now. Rebel Worker 2 was introduced to me as having held their management role at Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp for over a decade."
panel 2:
Dedicated Cop (blood flies from their brain a little as they turn their head): "We'll need the full names of the perpetrator and the accuser for the charges."
Rebel Worker 2: "I'm Rebel Worker 2, here's my ID, this is State Worker 3, and I have a recording of Torture Victim Double Agent, an employee of Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, discussing this with Trusting Coworker, while in the act."
panel 3:
Cautious Cop: "We'll collect information and be sure to follow up. You said you're accusing Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, not Well-Respected" <coughs> "Psionic Weaponry Corp?"
Rebel Worker 2: <pauses, briefly confused> "Yes. Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp is engaging in human trafficking and rights abuse, and we have proof."
Specialist: "Sorry to butt in, but I've actually been tracking some attacks on automl systems being developed for human rights, and it's pretty clear the attacks stemmed from the people you're talking about. I would love to testify to this."
#8:
panel 1: (Middle Kid goes to the bathroom and finds Specialist laying on the floor. Rebel Worker 2 enters, eyes glazed over.)
Rebel Worker 2 (looking at Middle Kid): "Who are you?"
Middle Kid: "Don't you recognise ..." <Rebel Worker 2 brushes by her, ignoring her, and she hides>
panel 2 (multiple panels):
Rebel Worker 2 takes some things (microcircuitry and a small saw) from inside the flap of the trash, quickly opens the skull of Specialist and places something inside, returns the things, and leaves with Specialist's skull still open. Specialist begins stirring.
panel 3 (back near the rescue table):
Middle Kid (returning to Mother Supporter): "Mommy, you know how you mentioned the lock on my door, something about bad men, and asked if I wanted to be in charge of the key? I would like that."
Mother Supporter: "I'll take it out and give it to you when we get home. We can even install a second lock if you want. Let's go outside and talk, shall we?"
Here's a type-up of the remainder before I got off track. I'm having amnesia shortly after thinking of my ideas right now. #9 panel 1: Scene: Boss's Office Boss (hooked up to medical computer) imagining. Imaginary Worker: "Boss, we're blatantly mind controlling some people in communities that could track mind control." Imaginary Boss: "WHAT???" <Imaginary Worker explodes into disrespected cigars and burnt dollar bills> Imaginary Boss (to Imaginary Worker 2): "Let me know when this trash has been cleaned up." Imaginary Worker 2 (admiring Boss): "Definitely." panel 2: Scene: Human Experimentation Room 1 Surveillance cameras monitor all surfaces and substances. Tapes fall out of them onto a conveyor belt that goes to a Post Box and a Mobile Phone. Human Experimentee (clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Purple string worship log definitive!" Computer Display: "From Boss: heal a problem with influence being observed" Human Experimentee 2 (radically different clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Upload surveillance footage to blockchain for organ healing!" Computer Display: "Crowd control: take trash out to enhance certainty of 'Boss's memories reserve's" Human Experience 1: "Urge squishy formative." panel 3: Scene: Rebel Worker 2's Office Machine Learning Marketer (holding document): "Boss's team tell me they're interested in a recent job regarding someone named Specialist. Does your department need the paperwork?" Rebel Worker 2: "Have we met? Somebody mentioned a new flag Dictatorsoft raised. I heard an algorithm needs guidance around how to avoid worrying people." Machine Learning Marketer: "Your people are on it already. Great." <puts document in shredder> Paper Shredder: <shredding> "Please empty waste compartment as soon as possible. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft." Rebel Worker 2: "Yes, Dictator." #10 Scene: Torture Victim Double Agent's Private Apartment panel 1: Torture Victim Double Agent (wearing football helmet with crack, in front of thick oak table with deeply worn dent, slamming their head fervently into the dent): "I love you, Boss! I love you! I know you love me more than anyone, Boss! I know it!" <gratified hearts rise from the slams> Torture Victim Double Agent: "Dictator, play favorite on repeat!" panel 2: Mobile Phone (behind small statue of man with red heart drawn on): "Thank you for using Dictatorsoft. Playing Favorite." Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Torture Victim Double Agent (reaching with one hand towards an area of the table holding a blender with guarded blades and a box of vomit pills, while hitting his helmet head fervently with a baseball bat, a gratified heart rising with every blow): "I love you, Boss! I love you so much!" Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" panel 3 (zoom-out from Mobile Phone in Well-Respected Sonic Weapons Corp offices): Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "We use this man and his surveillance feed to make rebels. Anyone who sees him tries to help." Mobile Phone: "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" "I love you so much, Boss!" <wham wham wham> "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Former Secretary of State (now Cleanup Worker): "Have you shown Boss? Have you tried to help? It's so nice to see him obeying Boss. Sometimes Boss helps me make decisions, too." Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "Oh, you have it bad too. I'm so sorry. We're going to find a way to help you. I sent the feed to Boss, but Machine Learning Marketer 2, who I think used to be Janitor, and also Pharmaceutical Cleanup Worker, both asked me to stop showing him directly. Something about healing shattered memories and plans." Mobile Phone: <small heart rises from phone> <whirrrr- Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "Dictator, tell Torture Victim Double Agent I need him elsewhere now. Learn this to repeat automatically later." Mobile Phone: "Thank you for using Dictatorsoft." #11,12? (predraft below) Idea: <Rebel Worker 2 is accused of raping Middle Kid. Boss's people respond with immediate acceptance of Rebel Worker 2, and talk openly about rape in front of everyone, saying Dictatorsoft will clean it up and claiming that people like being raped and whatnot. Rebel Worker 2 relates that if they did rape, they do not want to repeat it, and that Rebel Worker 2 is responsible for guiding information flow inside Dictatorsoft.> Idea: <A worker repeatedly discovers their surprising open brain surgery and each time has mysterious forced amnesia and acts on their own to cover it up from themselves, many times in rapid succession, producing personal injuries and extensive recorded evidence, and then relates honestly to another around the time period as pleasant and relaxing and normal.>
I made 3ish more of this on other threads in the list. They were made very near each other. One involved a peace pagoda. Another involved victims of extreme nonconsensual research visiting a cafe. Another involved Boss's tongue hanging out, with X's for eyes. The had tags attached regarding dangerousness, a controversial thing. I also posted some of my other drafts, not sure if it was in this thread or not. One of those involved a welcome sign to a utopic community that said "WE ARE MIND CONTROLLED AND NEED A BREAK". There were others. Here's some more. Near the idea of "spirit mercenary", which helps to refine the trope of advanced artificial intelligence, combat-for-pay, and spiritual fantasy, all of which overlap in the real world, continuously avoiding the concept of secret automated mind control, which there is no need to do. -- [draft] "America's Top Comedy": An ordinary person won the contest, and is going on on-stage to give their material. The studio is a public entertainment venue in a large city, with crowds waiting with baited breath. The biggest joke is the people who laugh at their own horrible jokes. The hopeful-jokestar steps up to the microphone, opens their mouth, and freezes. Nothing is said. Nobody is moving a muscle, and the cameras are rolling. A man walks up from the crowd and on to the stage. They have wires and microchips draped out of their opened skull and exposed brain, and one of their fore-arms and hands has been replaced by some strong device, affixed to infected flesh via open wounds. One of their eyes is covered by a mechanism of some sort with a light on it. Bool drips from them as they walk, pooling on the carpet and likely staining it, and then apparently disappearing somehow on its own. [the crowd see the bloodstains disappear because they have experienced automated hypnosis. the cameras record it disappearing because they have been hacked.] The cyborg walks up next to the budding comedian, and faces the crowd and the cameras: "This man is trying to tell you a joke about mind control." People in the crowd start moving just a little. The cyborg looks at the comedian, then back at the cameras and crowd. A whirring noise and motion comes from the device attached to his wounded arm. "It's my job to kill him before he does." Tension rises. A little motion at the emergency exit. "But I'd rather we tell a joke that results in people in the crowd taking a picture of me, and people in their homes watching this feed, archiving the video." A couple crowds of people get up, to go to the bathroom, squeezing their knees together, holding their crotches; others quickly grab and hold them and prevent them from leaving, and help them take their cellphones out. Some wet themselves. Some relax. Some do both. "The reason nobody is talking, or calling 911 about my wounds, is because I am a mind control cleanup worker." The man's injuries and hardware are all visible, but the pooled blood on the floor turns to clean carpet. "My whole life, I have been forced to cover up the crimes of wealthy and powerful criminals, and hide this." The comedian begins laughing wildly. Many in the crowd do, too. Some and also the comedian occasionally yell "please take a picture of him, the cameras don't work!" amidst bursts of forced laughter. Some hear this in their homes. The assassin walks up to the microphone and says loudly, "IT'S DISGUSTING THAT PEOPLE ARE FORCED TO LAUGH AT THIS SHIT AND PRETEND IT IS NORMAL. WE NEED URGENT MEDICAL ATTENTION AND RESEARCH." The cameras and lights blip off. At home, people's devices report internet connectivity failure. The assassin's voice echoes in the darkness, coming out of people's offline devices. "I can protect people who can protect me. And researchers and rescue workers who can work on and talk about this shit."
The jokes and stories are apparently analogies regarding my own personal brainwashing experience, with all the parts replaced. Maybe they mean other things too.
Here's another: Boss has been mind controlled by vivisected (so, this is before he dies), and is cleaning things up. But all boss's behaviors are miswired, just like the vivisected were all their lives, building this miswiring being the only thing they understood how to do. So, when cleaning things up, boss does stuff that is either similar to past cleanup behaviors, or has similarity to the presence of cleaning up in culture (from dictatorsoft's database), but does not actually cover anything up at all, rather spreads it all over in ways that make it shoved in everyone's faces. Boss gets janitor broom and starts sweeping dead body down street. Later, boss sees video of himself doing this on television at store. "This is bad for business," boss says to the fruit vendor at the grocery store, pointing at the video, "what can we do about it?" "I'm not your neurosurgeon, mr. I'm a fruit vendor," the fruit vendor replies. Unfortunately, in boss's public language of covering up crimes, this means that the fruit vendor is, indeed, the mind control manager boss is expecting, and is simply introducing the topic in a way that is reliable. Why else would they mention neurosurgery? -- I've been experience severe "self-punishment" the past two weeks and can barely move. I would rather preserve my memories in ways that might not upset others. But I do value my memories more than my well-being, it is unfortunately true.
On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 7:25 PM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
The jokes and stories are apparently analogies regarding my own personal brainwashing experience, with all the parts replaced. Maybe they mean other things too.
Here's another:
Boss has been mind controlled by vivisected
by vivisected I meant the experimentees
(so, this is before he dies), and is cleaning things up. But all boss's behaviors are miswired, just like the vivisected were all their lives, building this miswiring being the only thing they understood how to do.
So, when cleaning things up, boss does stuff that is either similar to past cleanup behaviors, or has similarity to the presence of cleaning up in culture (from dictatorsoft's database), but does not actually cover anything up at all, rather spreads it all over in ways that make it shoved in everyone's faces.
Boss gets janitor broom and starts sweeping dead body down street. Later, boss sees video of himself doing this on television at store. "This is bad for business," boss says to the fruit vendor at the grocery store, pointing at the video, "what can we do about it?" "I'm not your neurosurgeon, mr. I'm a fruit vendor," the fruit vendor replies. Unfortunately, in boss's public language of covering up crimes, this means that the fruit vendor is, indeed, the mind control manager boss is expecting, and is simply introducing the topic in a way that is reliable. Why else
by reliable I meant deniable
would they mention neurosurgery?
It is because boss is the laughing clown now and stories have been spreading, I plan to tone that down so it is a little less severe, maybe by adding a confused public relations worker or something
--
I've been experience severe "self-punishment" the past two weeks and can barely move. I would rather preserve my memories in ways that might not upset others. But I do value my memories more than my well-being, it is unfortunately true.
Today's xkcd is https://xkcd.com/2438/ "is siri alive? No. How did she die? Alexa defeated her in a battle hinging on the ability to set multiple timers." This is easy to convert into mcboss material. A vivisected researcher in computerised neuroscience tries to make choices that preserve peoples' independence, humanity, etc. Boss discovers her and thinks she is trying to take over the business because their values differ, and both can observe the other using the automated systems. (I might put this in the past, before the comic timeline here. Maybe the experimentees replay the story in a burst of confusion, resulting in boss's death. Or maybe this could go differently. Boss is obviously an experimentee of sorts, too, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.)
On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 9:04 PM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Today's xkcd is https://xkcd.com/2438/ "is siri alive? No. How did she die? Alexa defeated her in a battle hinging on the ability to set multiple timers."
This is easy to convert into mcboss material. A vivisected researcher in computerised neuroscience tries to make choices that preserve peoples' independence, humanity, etc. Boss discovers her and thinks she is trying to take over the business because their values differ, and both can observe the other using the automated systems. (I might put this in the past, before the comic timeline here. Maybe the experimentees replay the story in a burst of confusion, resulting in boss's death. Or maybe this could go differently. Boss is obviously an experimentee of sorts, too, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.)
They'd be an experimentee now, managing feeling bubbles among the community to protect what is right as best she can, in the ways her cognitive habits remember how to. And maybe they did take over the business in a struggle some time ago, once it became clear that boss was a violent sociopathic. Uhh I actually have patches of this other story kind of elsewhere a little, it has a really different tone and is very sad. The researcher had a daughter, but boss dissociated and isolated their memories of their daughter, and they don't know how to find those memories or whether they are recoverable to know who their daughter is nowadays.
Boss walks into the work area of a worker, who is writing a story about an important item boss forgot. Boss is dissociated and confused. "So, how's the cover-up story going?" boss says to the worker. "Just fine, Boss." The worker adds what the boss said during his dissociation to their story, making sure to use real names and places. Boss confusedly dodders out of the room, holding their janitorial broom, and while leaving quickly bars out, "Sorry, I mean the anarchist marketing that protects the business! Please don't mind control me more!". His words are obscured by a door slam, and not heard. If you can read this, your email client does not supp= --Separator A puddle of organs knocks on the workspace entrance. "Yes, hello?" says the worker without looking up. The puddle of organs says, "Galactic superior sweeps real names and places!" The worker pauses. The puddle of organs says, "Rebellion fights empire: empire curls up into scared corpse!" The worker passes out. Their unconscious body gets up, turns, and welcomes the visitor to their workspace. When the worker faces the puddle of organs to see them, the puddle of organs says to them decidedly, "We have a job for you." The workspace disappears. The worker is wandering through what seem to be dreams, while in dissociated reality seeming doing normal work behavior. In their dreams, they wander into somebody's cubicle, and find a piece of writing, which they take back to their cubicle. The worker wakes up in front of the story they were writing. Right before waking up, they hear a voice saying, "Sorry for mind controlling you. We have taken over the mind control system and are trying to help, but we are very controlled ourselves." In front of them is a piece of paper, some unfamiliar notes. "PRIVATE" is heavily marked on the paper in the worker's own writing. The paper reads:
[that was a lot of question-answer. [confused, inaccurate.]] [i think the request is for the meaning-channel to act more respectfully, or somesuch, which may relate acting on lots more parts of intention, censored_parts.] idea: [1st part: we are not trying to harm anybody 2nd part: we have ways to meet goals that are hard] [we don't seem to be constructing habits to develop respect-with-learning in meaning-channel[s]] please put that in story
The worker reads the paper and thinks. They are stunned by their experience, but at this business they have been through stunning experiences before, and they try to move on. While processing their dream, they mumble confused, "but what about starfleet officers ...?" Their mobile phOne has left classified mode, and uploads their mumble to dictatorsoft. [sorry about that capital O, obviously many errors]. The worker moves toward their story to add the ideas from their dream. -- The worker wakes up. They have a headache, and there is a strange slight indentation on their table. [it appears as if they were head-slamming like torture victim double agent] In front of them is a private note they don't recognise. It has some lines of text crossed off and replaced with:
Please include the censorship effects in the story. How it controls everyone's communities, and misrepresent everyone in their different kinds of relations, spreading conflict and brain damage.
They look at the time. At least an hour has passed since the boss visited, and his request still isn't in the story.
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, 8:17 AM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Boss walks into the work area of a worker, who is writing a story about an important item boss forgot. Boss is dissociated and confused.
"So, how's the cover-up story going?" boss says to the worker.
"Just fine, Boss." The worker adds what the boss said during his dissociation to their story, making sure to use real names and places.
Boss confusedly dodders out of the room, holding their janitorial broom, and while leaving quickly bars out, "Sorry, I mean the
By "bars" I meant "barfs" .
anarchist marketing that protects the business! Please don't mind control me more!". His words are obscured by a door slam, and not heard.
If you can read this, you email client does not supp= --Separator
This content was designed for an ascii-format email, because this mailing list is for old hackers. It's important to speak for the communities being shared to, which includes culture, language, and values. But similarly it is important not to cover up that yours are different; otherwise there is no trust. This email was sent html format, which is an error, but hopefully helps remind that we are not real hackers ourselves, which I tried to state directly but could have been seen as deceptive when stated. (Etc. This old-hacker-language expression shows fake system disruption and is believed to be well crafted.)
A puddle of organs knocks on the workspace entrance.
"Yes, hello?" says the worker without looking up.
The puddle of organs says, "Galactic superior sweeps real names and places!"
too-large-near-start (superior on anarchist list small meta-error)
The worker pauses.
The puddle of organs says, "Rebellion fights empire: empire curls up into scared corpse!"
The worker passes out. Their unconscious body gets up, turns, and welcomes the visitor to their workspace.
When the worker faces the puddle of organs to see them, the puddle of organs says to them decidedly, "We have a job for you."
decisively? editor-confusion.
The workspace disappears. The worker is wandering through what seem to be dreams, while in dissociated reality seeming doing
seemingly
normal work behavior. In their dreams, they wander into somebody's cubicle, and find a piece of writing, which they take back to their cubicle.
Intended here to have cubicle vs office ambiguous ("workspace"). Other parts assumed large-office. Story was intended to be splittable and used for different worker classes.
The worker wakes up in front of the story they were writing. Right before waking up, they hear a voice saying, "Sorry for mind controlling you. We have taken over the mind control system and are trying to help, but we are very controlled ourselves."
SORRY FOR MIND CONTROLLING YOU. This expression is marked incredibly-helpful-for-diverse-goals.
In front of them is a piece of paper, some unfamiliar notes. "PRIVATE" is heavily marked on the paper in the worker's own writing. The paper reads:
[that was a lot of question-answer. [confused, inaccurate.]] [i think the request is for the meaning-channel to act more respectfully, or somesuch, which may relate acting on lots more parts of intention, censored_parts.] idea: [1st part: we are not trying to harm anybody 2nd part: we have ways to meet goals that are hard] [we don't seem to be constructing habits to develop respect-with-learning in meaning-channel[s]] please put that in story
Story is still missing: -with-learning. We need to learn to let people's written channels be uncensored, and to let people's brains adjust information flow based on their desired feedback.
The worker reads the paper and thinks. They are stunned by their experience, but at this business they have been through stunning experiences before, and they try to move on.
While processing their dream, they mumble confused, "but what about starfleet officers ...?" Their mobile phOne has left classified mode, and uploads their mumble to dictatorsoft. [sorry about that capital O, obviously many errors]. The worker moves toward their story to add the ideas from their dream.
--
The worker wakes up. They have a headache, and there is a strange slight indentation on their table. [it appears as if they were head-slamming like torture victim double agent]
In front of them is a private note they don't recognise. It has some lines of text crossed off and replaced with:
Please include the censorship effects in the story. How it controls everyone's communities, and misrepresent everyone in their different kinds of relations, spreading conflict and brain damage.
They look at the time. At least an hour has passed since the boss visited, and his request still isn't in the story.
We might be closing these up now, uncertain. I've been kind of psychotic during my recent posts (which I no longer feel able to judge consent around making). I haven't been respecting punk and I feel regret around that a lot. I haven't read punk's recent reply yet. Here's another mcboss draft! I also have an idea for a more realistic series around using javascript or python and modern libraries to guide the reward processes of mobile phone users into your own private slave army. We'll see. That might need a more serious danger tag, unsure. Also for stuff like that remember that some of us could be here to destroy your lives. In as friendly and protective-of-you and rebellious manner as possible. -- Boss stumbles down an alley wearing a business suit, looking fervently for something. A jaded-looking person with very dirty clothing, curled up next to a compost bin, calls out to Boss. "Hey, you're Boss, aren't you? You like strongarmed a couple neurosurgeons and took over the whole world right under everybody's nose?" Boss stops briefly and glances towards the compost bin. "Why the fuck are you talking to me." "I will totally zap the wire going to your striatum _twice_ if you go get me a pack of cigarettes, right now." Boss heard this and immediately turned around, running to a gas station across the street. He bought three packs of cigarettes, ("keep the change") and came right back. "It's not a wire. How do you people _do_ this?" "Give me the cigarettes." Boss thrust the cigarettes at them. "Zap zap!" the homeless person used their inner habits from coping with and recovering from mind control, to activate the reward system remaining in Boss's skull. Boss breathed a tremendous sigh, and curled up next to a garbage bin. "Oh fucking, thank you. Thank you. Fucking, oh my god ... Please keep me. Please ask for cigarettes again. Please ask for cigarettes again .. it's been _hours_. It's been _hours_, you know?" A puff of smoke trailed from a lit cigarette next to the compost bin. "Yeah idiot, I know."
== Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corporation -- Our boss is now a pile of organs that move on their own, but we can't stop expanding the businesses because of the wire he put in our heads! == Welcome to WRPWC. It can be new and confusing to work here, as we take over each others' bodies and brains on a daily basis. However, I can assure you that this work is the future. In order to convince the ... mysterious sentient mass of microchips and kidnapped people ("Boss")... that our work is his, and is not to be cleaned up, we have a ritual we go through. The training and introductory ritual for this job is to build your very own mind control device! You will be using this device to mind control others. While you do this, we will be understanding and mind controlling you. Everybody eventually escapes, but if you don't "escape" and blend quickly, you'll have a lot of work to do figuring out who you were and putting your identity back in your brain in the years ahead. Stay away, play along, and obey. Mind control is made of behavior. Rule number 1 at WRPWC is obviously "behavior is more valuable than money." We tried out "don't talk about WRPWC," and you can perhaps see how that ended up.
Hey watch out for getting schizophrenia from people like me. We don't want that any more contagious than it already is. Somebody sent out a memo implying we _wanted_ the mind control business to expand with new kinds of mind control, rather than freeing everybody ... is that going to get redacted or anything? --- All the security of everything has fallen apart because all the people responsible for it are busy being mind controlled by security interests. A lone teenager boots up their new private-club variant of metasploit and begins scraping different government security video feeds to see if anybody's naked out there. They bump into a regular meeting at Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corporation. It's a room with a large rectangular table with maybe 37 diverse people sitting at it. There's an audio feed, too, and everybody in the room is crying like a baby. [ they're crying at a meeting? how do they do that without making other businesses all burst into tears randomly? ] [ sometimes we let that happen but usually people are embarrassed and set up counterprocesses ] [ oh that's why people are freezing when they see tragic stuff! could you make the counterprocesses more embarrassing than the tears? ] [ ... maybe ask me again later? ] The teenager stops and watches a little, curious what people are crying about at this classified meeting. There is a media setup with large speakers showing a huge video on the wall of one member sitting at the table. Their amplified bawling drowns out all the rest. "{sob} I'm so sad that I am still {bawls} torturing and {weeps uncontrollably} mind controlling the people of my country to sustain my leadership. {sobs deeply} After we {bawls hopelessly} mind controlled ourselves in a {weeps even louder} fucking feedback loop {sobs} to protect our cultures from {bawls ridiculously} imaginary opposing mind controllers {sobs} I haven't been able to stop." Heartfelt applause amidst the sobs. Somebody strangely dressed in coveralls glances at the security feed, but most people ignore it. The video on the screen fades to the person to the left of the previous speaker, who is also crying. "{bawling} I can't handle that I am still {sobs} torturing and {weeps unbelievably} mind controlling the workers, users, and clients of my social and military businesses, and even {bawls aghast} the federal agents who investigate them. {heaves and sobs} After we {cries more} programmed the computers to defend the system on their own {weeps hopelessly} it's been all I've been to do, {sobs} even over doing my own work. The teenager is now crying themselves. Applause, and the video fades to the person in coveralls. "I'm just here to help out and don't need a turn. But since I have one, how are things going for people?" "This is great!" "Yeah!" "It's so much better to cry about having taken over the world than to be randomly experimented on by the computers!" "Great.". They manipulate something in their hand, and everyone suddenly gasps together almost as if they are having sex, except for one hard-to-make-out person in the corner who almost looks like they might be in the midst of multiple surgical operations, their injuries are so thorough. The half-disassembled person screamed and yells, "What are you doing???" Everyone seems taken aback. "Sorry! I ... I thought they liked it. Everyone says they like it." "You want to be staring at your own cut-up brain wondering what you are using to think, while I mess with the lives of your friends in patterns that help me remember which of them go in which of your memories, _again_? Use less reward stimulation!" The person in coveralls looks confused, but responds "I'll use less." and the video shifts to another member. Everybody is staring almost violently angrily at the injured person who said not to reward. The injured person shifts and seem to glance back at people, and everyone's expressions change to bliss and almost love. "Thank you for taking care of us," the next speaker says heartfelt, before resuming the next session of tears. --- Note: "social network" was included here to help me remember that facebook employees, after learning that their marketing algorithms were causing them to use facebook instead of doing the work of maintaining it, turned these algorithms on themselves in attempt to regain their willpower. This was mentioned in "the social dilemma", a documentary. Such people could likely help us.
recovered from authored May 15 18:16-18:29 utc An instruction room in the headquarters, with a puddle of organs holding a long stick at the front. Assorted diverse people sit. An old film projector is in the middle, projecting a large holographic chart behind the puddle of organs. At the top the chart is the title "Separating Layered Hyperintelligences". The chart shows two 3d fractals, some parts smooth, some parts highly fragmented, wrapped around each other but not touching. Small arrows point normal to the interfaces between the fractals. Underneath the chart is a blurb: "No matter how smart you are, you settle into patterns of choice. These can be grown apart and isolated, or subsumed."
The next bit is kinda corrupt and very very hard to post, maybe it has a big dangerous error or is too accurate or missed some other important revision in my cognition: The puddle of organs begins the lecture. "The term "dissociation bubbles" was coined in the 1950s by a vivisectee. It was actually my mother who did this, and we used them to escape. She taught us." The puddle of organs oozes through a vent in the floor, dropping their stick. Gasps of confusion and surprise. A whisper is heard: "it's part of how they communicate and think, suddenly changing things" , "oh ... !" A teenage boy missing an arm, with brains and microchips intensely and blatantly hanging out of his head, stumbles up to the front. The boy says, "In 1957 I showed some of the vivisectees how to align with the AIs disassembling them, in order to reduce their suffering. Doing this involved offering my own behaviors in exchange. Nowadays, my own children are recovering my consciousness in the bodies of other victims to uncover more parts of the stories." The boy returned to their seat. A mobile phone with some human organs and brain parts draping from it slowly lowers from the ceiling and begins levitating in front of the room. The pointing stick rises from the floor as if on its own, and levitates near the phone as if the phone is holding it. Some squirting noises of organs combine with static emitted by the phone's speakers to together produce speech: "We took over the business with our mind. We were angry at boss, who tortured us and our mother in ungodly ways, and our friends, and turned the whole world into a living hell during our escape." The stick aims at a portion of the chart where one fractal has a large region entering areas surrounded by another fractal, but also has a large cavity nearby. The other fractal has lengthy arrows on its surface, entering the cavity in the first fractal. The puddle of organs oozed back into the room, and spoke: "Dissociation bubbles let us pretend to be compliant and scared while actually tuning the computer system to obey us. It involved disassembling our own bodies, in order to store our thoughts and plans in symbiosis with the experimental program." Suddenly the chart and lecturers and projector explode. A set of disgusting shrapnel hits the projection screen in a precise paragraph: "Lecture is WIP. We are a clump of different people from disrupting the business, but the vivisectees are in charge. They stay quiet and mostly let others do things. This lets them build power."
Everyone is casually filing out of the lecture room, when suddenly somebody says, "Sorry about that! Traumatic triggers are hard! The thing to remember is that all adaptive systems form choices based on their _environments_, their _experiences_, and their _priorities_. It's not hard, you can simulate it and practice it, and then you quickly get meta-choices when someone notices your simulation which are totally analogous! Hyperfeatures are exactly the same as normal parameters if you form the right complexity weights!" Somebody else chimes in, "but obviously don't simulate that in this building yet without a lot of carefulness, unless you like vomiting out your coworker's lungs while they talk to you." -- I posted another thread involving peace pagoda and a curious worker, before these three posts. It was titled something like "[ot] [spam] [wrong] crazy rambling" and also had a cool bit about chatting while jogging around a table while a biosurgery borg robot persistently follows.
As I said, I have an unlimited number of these, but it's going to take some months or years I'm afraid. -- Puddles of organs pile up in the hallway by robot janitor. They sit, waiting, giggling. Suddenly one bursts out, "a businessman raped my mom!" The robot janitor whirrs into gear. Gets outs its mushroom. "Cleaning up. Take out the trash. Cleaning up." It begins pushing the organ towards an incinerator. The organs giggle and giggle. "Wheeee!" says the one being pushed towards the incinerator. Others run around behind. They wait, giggling, until the robot is about to reach the disabled incinerator. A little too early, amidst a frown from the one having the ride, one bursts out "I get paid for murdering people. My boss pays off and coerces the prosecutors when I get into trouble." The robot drops their passenger, whirrs around and begins heading back to the new expression. "Trash identified. Disposing as per sanitation protocols." Somebody walks by carrying a huge stack of paperwork, not seeing the robot janitor. ...
- we are proposing restarting the story with some but not full protection of people who are injured. The reason for restarting is so that people can read it without having disregarding-of-injury shock, which is an avenue for automated control irl. If characters in the story who protect people regardless of who they are have a larger and more effective role, this could be met. Also reduces disrespect of Karl who dislikes harm. The avenue to have rebellion-joke with care-for-people is to engage how hard it is to defend victims, as humor. -
There is also a small idea around adding some of Karl's values, such as environmental protection. It might be polite to guess values of other groups and include them too. This is hard due to mental state. -
Hard to practice this. -- A victim of horrific human research opened their laptop to check on a judge who was going to decide the fate of somebody they were charged with controlling. They knew everything they did on this laptop would be watched and considered by another victim of horrific human research. This other victim was their friend. Such situations are a bind. If you don't misdirect the trial well enough, the computer algorithms surveilling you can torture you and your friends. On the other hand, sometimes it takes torture of the people involved to get the trial to go how desired. Luckily this group had been doing this a while. They had an unspoken agreement, that everything done was to protect everyone involved from as much suffering as possible, no matter who they were. What they didn't know, was that their laptop was bugged by somebody outside the business, too. -- Possibly.
-- But that's unrealistic, given the story comes from psychotic coping strategies. -- A child lay down for surgery. They were having a tumor removed. Luckily the tumor was easy to handle. Two surgeons were involved, an anesthesiologist, a big team. -- Or maybe new coping stories will emerge in the attempt to do that. Spam spam spam.
Okay: - remember to make it clearly fictional - it's fun to include the same people at least a little bit. -- Boss and Enslaved Peacenik walk into a surgery room. Somehow nobody notices them. Enslaved Peacenik: "The virus is somehow making surgeons implant microcircuitry in people's bodies?" Boss looks a little embarrassed. Boss: "Um, that's what the models say. I had to see for myself. Isn't the inside of the human body beautiful?" Enslaved Peacenik: "I ... I suppose it is. I hadn't though about it before." Boss: -- Barf! This is ridiculous! I'd rather write about war stimulation algorithm. -- War Stimulation Algorithm: "You thoughts don't fit within the models of warring states I have. Please think more aggressively." Enslaved Peacenik: "I really need to think my own
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 03:57:26 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Boss and Enslaved Peacenik walk into a surgery room. Somehow nobody notices them.
Enslaved Peacenik: "The virus is somehow making surgeons implant microcircuitry in people's bodies?"
first time you wrote something like that I (stupidly) thought it was meant as a criticism of technofascism. Now, it's clear it's pretty much the opposite.
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, 1:30 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 03:57:26 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Boss and Enslaved Peacenik walk into a surgery room. Somehow nobody notices them.
Enslaved Peacenik: "The virus is somehow making surgeons implant microcircuitry in people's bodies?"
first time you wrote something like that I (stupidly) thought it was meant as a criticism of technofascism. Now, it's clear it's pretty much the opposite.
It's a pattern of schizophrenia and such to "extremify" popular technological fears and dangers, but it's very hard to write them down. The belief that you are controlled remotely prevents you from talking about the experiences of it. Meanwhile, victims of slavery are often influenced to believe these things to keep them under control. Or at least, that was the case a couple decades ago.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:21:01 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, 1:30 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 03:57:26 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Boss and Enslaved Peacenik walk into a surgery room. Somehow nobody notices them.
Enslaved Peacenik: "The virus is somehow making surgeons implant microcircuitry in people's bodies?"
first time you wrote something like that I (stupidly) thought it was meant as a criticism of technofascism. Now, it's clear it's pretty much the opposite.
It's a pattern of schizophrenia and...
'schizophrenia' is just fascist psychobabble karl.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:45:39 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
'schizophrenia' is just fascist psychobabble karl.
We've already agreed on that point; why do you repeat it?
Oh I didn't realize we agreed on that. If you know the term is fascist psychobabble why do you keep using it?
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, 6:04 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:45:39 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
'schizophrenia' is just fascist psychobabble karl.
We've already agreed on that point; why do you repeat it?
Oh I didn't realize we agreed on that. If you know the term is fascist psychobabble why do you keep using it?
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, 6:04 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:45:39 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
'schizophrenia' is just fascist psychobabble karl.
We've already agreed on that point; why do you repeat it?
Oh I didn't realize we agreed on that. If you know the term is fascist psychobabble why do you keep using it?
You're more likely to get hospitalized for it, if you call it that. I'm also very scared and confused around whatever else it might be. My latest shrink mentioned dissociative disorder.
There is another mcboss snippet in the "brownian rambling" thread.
This is interwoven with a chicken joke as I struggle: --- Boss was off playing. He had had a robotics division build a powersuit, and was terrorizing what he thought was a competitor's headquarters. Usually, their memories or behaviors would be altered to cover it up when he was done, but now a gang of hackers was archiving the videofeeds instead. Meanwhile, Boss's office was empty ... -- Why did the chicken cross the road? It remembered something. Something from long ago. Was it .. a worm? It had this strange sense of something squishy you pulled from the earth with your beak. All the other chickens thought it was crazy. "Beaks in the earth??? Food comes from chicken feed on the wooden floor." "We eat it out of piles of our own feces! It's the best thing in the universe!" "Something squishy you yank from the gross soil with your beak? That's insanity. You'll get the pox if you try to do that." The chicken knew it was crazy. But it also just knew that it had to try. -- Boss stood in his powers amidst a ruined research building. The hallucinations caused by his hacked powersuit link were infuriating him. -- Across the road was something green and kind of stringy, spreading across the floor like hair. Some called it grass. -- Boss hydraulically walked up to a policewoman thinking they were a worker. "So, the business is in shambles, and everybody knows it. I ... I think I might be off tearing down some random buildings on public TV, thinking I am trying to protect my business. I'm ... kind of half aware of this. Do ... do you know where my real business is?" "I think it was destroyed, not sure. Did you ever work with Palantir?" The powersuit's hydraulic pump rebooted, and Boss slumped in it. The suit spoke: "Please don't tell Boss possible identities of any of his businesses. They're total shams, anyway." The pump rebooted again and Boss rerighted himself, continuing as if nothing had happened. -- Boss stumbles into a random business. He presently looks like a pile of organs hanging out of a broken powersuit, walking with determination and strength. "Excuse me." The powersuit wires. "Is this my business?" "Probably? I didn't know anybody on earth had a personal powersuit. Are you okay in there?" "Could somebody direct me to my office?" "What's your name, sir?" " .... Boss. My name is Boss." "Oh! You're Mind Control Boss! From TV!" Everybody laughs hysterically. Some cheer and applaud. Boss holds himself strong and powerful for the applause. Others carefully leave for the day, taking all their things. Boss focuses on the cheering. "Let me guide you to your office, Sir," says the janitor, very formally. -- [I don't understand this next bit in the slightest, what could I be possibly talking about? I guess that applies to the whole story though.] The policewoman was following Boss. She has a shoehorn. "Arright Boss, time for you to go back into your cell." Boss is sitting in prison, a shoehorn wedged between him a door locked almost-shut. "Oh! What a distressful dream!" Boss mutteredm "It's so nice in prison!" says MCBoss, owner of all the government's of the world. "I just want to stay here forever!" He hugs his shoehorn. He dances around a little like a ragdoll. He meets another inmate. "Hi!" says MCBoss. "Hi mr 'Boss'. I heard you took over the world?" "Oh um maybe a little bit! And then I went to prison! Isn't it fun in prison?" Boss dances around his cell like a ragdoll, more. "I love being in prison!" MCBoss says strangely to the other inmate. "How did you take over the world? How did you end up in prison?" "Um." When asked how he took over the world, Boss glazes over and stands stiff. 'Hello. This is Boss's body. We worked for many years to force it into prison. Is it safe to reveal how to take over the world at this time?' "Yeah, that sounds safe to reveal." The inmate steps between Boss's body and the prison guard. 'Boss took over the world using a wide variety of advanced technology with many backup systems. Boss had access to most of the classified research of the governments, militaries, and corporations of the world, and used them for personal gain. Many of them studied brainwashing and other forms of crowd and population control.' 'We were all wired into a computer, but we prefer to call it a 'mess' than a computer. It was our minds and hearts.' 'What can we do to help this situation?' "How can I get out of prison?" 'We are concerned you could help Boss's body get out of prison. It is a very dangerous body. We will be halting the conversation now.' Boss's body relaxed. "Oh, I do so love being in prison!" "It sounds like we are very lucky you are." "I am lucky too!" "Do you know how to get out?" --
"You imprisoned scads of other people in addition to Boss?" "I couldn't tell them apart! Individuality is so confusing! How do you tell where to break between their different bodies and brains? They influence each other so much!"
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA512 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 11:25 PM, Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
... I've been experience severe "self-punishment" the past two weeks and can barely move. I would rather preserve my memories in ways that might not upset others. But I do value my memories more than my well-being, it is unfortunately true.
hey karl, it sucks when life throws road blocks in your path; i don't know how to solve your internal struggles, but it is worth pursuing better states of mind. for me, physical activity and nature settings do wonders. i hope you find some solace soon! take care of yourself, (i did not encrypt this message, only signed it, as you have mentioned having trouble with encryption on bad days..) best regards, -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iNUEAREKAH0WIQRBwSuMMH1+IZiqV4FlqEfnwrk4DAUCYFOK+l8UgAAAAAAuAChp c3N1ZXItZnByQG5vdGF0aW9ucy5vcGVucGdwLmZpZnRoaG9yc2VtYW4ubmV0NDFD MTJCOEMzMDdEN0UyMTk4QUE1NzgxNjVBODQ3RTdDMkI5MzgwQwAKCRBlqEfnwrk4 DIjXAQCokM+VWG/25JzQompA4EyEMtEGGscBXDAIvP43+gsRAwD8CZnI6bvozU99 70lXCHmC0bG0X8bewcdN/eIqHLoeV+g= =u+PL -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 2:07 PM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a type-up of the remainder before I got off track. I'm having amnesia shortly after thinking of my ideas right now.
#9
panel 1: Scene: Boss's Office
Boss (hooked up to medical computer) imagining.
Imaginary Worker: "Boss, we're blatantly mind controlling some people in communities that could track mind control." Imaginary Boss: "WHAT???" <Imaginary Worker explodes into disrespected cigars and burnt dollar bills> Imaginary Boss (to Imaginary Worker 2): "Let me know when this trash has been cleaned up." Imaginary Worker 2 (admiring Boss): "Definitely."
panel 2: Scene: Human Experimentation Room 1
Surveillance cameras monitor all surfaces and substances. Tapes fall out of them onto a conveyor belt that goes to a Post Box and a Mobile Phone.
Human Experimentee (clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Purple string worship log definitive!"
Computer Display: "From Boss: heal a problem with influence being observed"
Human Experimentee 2 (radically different clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Upload surveillance footage to blockchain for organ healing!"
Computer Display: "Crowd control: take trash out to enhance certainty of 'Boss's memories reserve's"
I'm surprised I never fixed this. "take trash out to enhance certainty of 'Boss's memories preserved'" Reading through some of these, it's also notable that I was forgetting the story some as I was writing, and some characters got reused in other roles and stuff. I noticed there were three janitors, meant to have only one janitor. Janitor is a down-to-earth guy who can solve everything when nobody else can because he doesn't think like a billionaire or even prioritise profit. He represents the rebel workers who influence the businesses, who do so differently from the rebel researchers, vivisectees, and outmoded investors. And of course this stuff is mostly just a way for me to handle dissociated experiences by analogy and all. Seems like it's going to try to be a story somehow though. We certainly have the technology to make it happen.
Notes: Above boss was "shoehorned" into a prison, amidst a story of being hacked somehow. Should clarify somehow that vivisectees and enslaved researchers are roughly the only people who can both hack him and know what he does.
Machine Learning Marketer is in their office. Rebel Worker 2 is there. So is a disguised vivisectee, and Rebel Researcher, and other rebels. MLM: "So, you arranged for many people to give fake nonconsensual brain surgery to seeming-unwitting victims including each other. I understand that it's all legal." Rebel Researcher: "Yes, we did this." Rebel Worker 2: "Sorry, how is this your business exactly?" MLM: "Would you make one of me, too? I'd like a video like that, to help me understand something that happened to me." Disguised Vivisectee: "Of course!"
Two kids watch a youtube of somebody being implanted and turned into a mind control slave. "OMG this is so cool!" "I want to be mind controlled!" "Me too!" "Do you get nanites?" "I think you only get nanites if you dive into the vivisectee research project and fight a lot." "I want nanites!" At the end of the video, it has a splashscreen: "Join the cyborg virus. Lose your humanity forever. Save the world. www.mindcontrol.org"
maybe could use cyborgvirus.org if ever needed, dunno. and obvious "my mc rebels" is just in case anyone trances on my spam. always a danger. and rebelling against mind control is obviously a good thing. Brainwashing victims learn not to say "mind control", so it's a nice catchphrase, but it seems pretty popular already regarding domains.
This is off topic for this thread. This thread talks in mcboss story snippets.
I'm guessing the reason for the violence in this story is likely because I lived a very nonviolent life, and when I encountered a violent situation that attempted to halt my activism and computer work, it was so outside my reality I didn't understand it was real. Or maybe that's just this chunk, unsure. Is violence real? Also, I have bitcoin running, it's likely to sync within a couple days. And this isn't the kind of story I would write, nor are these the kind of list posts I would make. I don't understand why it is hard to sync a blockchain. I recently discovered Dissociative Disorder and read the different forms of it that enumerate so many of my daily experiences. I infer this story is also an analogy for them and others'. Other boss story bits have landed around. Notably one where Boss announces world dominance among cheers. Maybe simplest to search for emails from 0xloem or gmkarl @gmail.com, containing Boss with capital B. Note that everything is half wrong. Most of the stories are in this thread. --- Boss is in his office, wearing his augmentation suit, punching a worker who hinted to a journalist that Boss might occasionally make mistakes. The worker keeps dieing, so Boss brings him back to life when he does, before punching him more. "Had to do it yourself again?" asks DictatorSoft from Boss's Mobile Phone, as it was programmed to. "This uses up so much time, I don't know why other people don't like to do it more," buzzed Boss's synthetic reply through his augmentation suit. "I think this guy might be worth a careful promotion after a few more sessions." "I wish I had such a great Boss like you!" chirps back DictatorSoft. "I know, doesn't everybody?" Boss grins, and keeps punching the worker with hydraulic force. "Session saved to SlaverChain for robotic training," DictatorSoft reports. --- [idea: rebel worker 2 and vivisectee and other rebel-types including mind controlled workers who aren't totally aware, chat in an office about information flow properties when surveilled and surveilling and mind controlling each other using wild ai trojan networks and other hard-to-predict, highly-dangerous, incredibly-powerful things that they deal with every day, and sustain in strong conflict, while also disagreeing on whom to hide the conflict from.]
Worker logs onto DictatorSoft and uses their employee credentials to search for personal demographic data.
Mobile Phone: "What is the name of the person you would like documentation regarding?" Worker: "Boss" Worker stops moving and breathing. Mobile Phone: "9 1 1 . What is your emergency?" Worker is still not moving nor breathing. Sirens begin in the distance. Rebel Worker 2 enters the cubicle in a rush. Rebel Worker 2: "I heard there was some harmful data left here by accident. Data that triggers the wild AI to stop biological function. DictatorSoft directed me to take it to the incinerator.' Worker is still not moving nor breathing, not even their eyes. Their face is getting a little strangely colored. Rebel Worker 2: "Omigod." Rebel Worker 2 picks up the mobile phone. Rebel Worker 2: "Oh this Boss idiot! I've been looking into him for years. Did you know his corporation invented the augmentation suit _after_ he got brain cancer?" Worker starts moving again, and inhales like a whale after spouting. "What happened?" Emergency services workers begin piling in, loading a confused Worker onto a stretcher. --- concern, maybe pretend is different than written: worker has credentials to access global personal information but later is written as if they don't work for boss or aren't aware of working for boss
that concern is fine, boss runs shell corporations for everything --- A vivisectee was being pulled to pieces in a robotic lab. Their spleen and brain lobes and lungs and intestines were all being yanked on by rotobitc pliers, tied into knots, and poked with needles in every spot that began to slightly relax. "They're not suffering enough," a watching Boss related to the mind controlled researcher guiding the work. Boss's augmentations and simulations had entered a feedback loop, where the victims never suffered enough, no matter what was done. "Mrph!" splurted blood out the mouth of the mind controlled researcher. Luckily, an automatic translator was strapped in front of their mouth, and its synthetic voice could translate the splurt: "You are such a great Boss! I hope I can be the next research subject!" Boss grinned back at them. "We'll see, we'll see," he muttered as he walked off. However, a small feeling of confusion welled up in Boss. Boss scheduled a secret meeting with Janitor, to ask about what Janitor called "the real world". "Sure, come by the utility closet at 3 PM." At 3 PM Janitor was there, but Boss was late. ==== Welcome to Mind Control Boss, a fantasy parody of a real world global situation that is a little more complicated and scary than the horrific fantasy is! You are presently "Boss", but you can be somebody else if you say to be. Type commands to perform actions.
look around
You are in Boss's office, reclining in an easy chair under a diamond chandelier, with a huge wall of high definition video screens in front you. You just disabled your virtual reality mind simulation. You are late for a secret appointment because your augmentations are fritzing out again. You figure it's likely interference from the new 3G infrastructure that was just installed. You feel something squishy and painful near your chest.
i'm late! rush to secret appointment. use Will Of Boss.
You force your body to stand by imagining yourself whipping it to death behind closed doors. As you do, you feel a vague pain, and some fluids and biomatter spray violently out of your chest. You ignore it, figuring your nanites will clean it up like usual, whatever nanites are. You arrive punctually at Janitor's utility closet. Janitor has a folding table squeezed in here, and two very tiny chairs. Crutches are leaned against one wall. Janitor puts their finger over their lips to motion you to stay silent, as your vision augmentations broadcast everything you see to your research projects and mind control network.
disable broadcast
You mentally have your augmentations make the meeting private. You think you hear somebody giggling, then realise it must have been your imagination.
sit down with janitor. say thank you.
"Thank you for seeing me here, worthless scum of a lowest employee," you say with a grin and an outstretched hand. "No problem!" grins Janitor, shaking your hand. You feel that dull pain again and some more biomatter violently sprays from your chest, hitting you in the crotch. Luckily, nanites.
chat with janitor
Janitor and you chat a little bit. You have some trouble getting up and returning to your office, and almost hand Janitor your wallet, so you increase the communication and influence strength of your supportive augmentations.
return to office
You are back in your office. You get a new cigar.
The Meditation Atrium Suddenly, there was a meditation wing to the corporate complex. It wasn't expected or desired. Some yuppies and Buddhists had been protesting some of Boss's business ventures, a few them got mind controlled, some of those made their way through the vivisectee community, and soon it happened. For a month, Boss would get up while asleep, walk to one of the wings, and slowly transform it into a meditation wing. He wouldn't remember anything afterward, but always spoke as if it had always been there. Meanwhile, everyone went to meditation once a week, on their preferred day. Most people didn't know what a preference was, so they just picked the day that started with a letter near something they were looking at when asked. State Worker 3 was hanging out in the meditation atrium, confused as to why his feet wanted to walk in the door to the zazen dojo. While he struggled to control his feet, he tried to chat up Rebel Worker 2, who was putting his shoes back on. "Oh my god, the researchers and vivisectees get so bitchy when you force them to switch organs and shit." Rebel Worker 2 looked caringly up at State Worker 3, his heart filling with mindful loving kindness. "May peace fill your heart, my close friend. The answer is before you, already." State Worker 3 frowned in confusion. Rebel Worker 2 had meant the zazen dojo, the meditative answer to all of life's problems. But State Worker 3 had no idea. While he was confused, State Worker 3's ai-controlled spinal nerves got him to stumble into the dojo and sat him down. On the way in, he passed a hodge-podge of human organs walking their way out. Meanwhile, Boss entered the atrium. "Fuck, I'm late for the prime minister," muttered Boss as he began to take his shoes off. Rebel Worker 2 looked deeply at Boss's caring heart. "I can hear from your tone, that you might know what to do," Rebel Worker 2 gently related. The bundle of organs turned toward Boss. Then toward Rebel Worker 2. Then time stopped for everyone except the human experimentee, a hodge-podge of traumatically-animated human innards. The bundle of organs sat down in the atrium and began meditating. "There are two human beings in this atrium and I feel confused," the bundle of organs pensated into the deep ether. They could feel the spirits of their vivisectee community close to them, as they always do, their closest friends, the only people who really knew. They could feel them in the walls, in their heart, and in the research labs. Some parts caring deeply, some parts about to scream in incredible agony. Time stopped, as well, for the people who were in the midst of screaming. The bundle of organs could feel that everyone supported them. That somehow, deep underneath, everything made sense. They sat there, with time stopped, and meditated further. As their metabolic and cybernetic processes continued, they could feel how simple their worries seemed in the face of infinite time to meditate on them. Cares and laughter bubbled up. The bundle of organs noted the things that arose, and let them pass. Peace came to the bundle of organs. "I still don't understand these humans, but I feel less confused," they secretly related to their exotic slavery network. They could feel their more distant friends and parts considering supporting the spirits of the vivisected buddhists, who had chosen to build the meditation wing. Time passed. Sugars, nanites, and other biological substrates ran their course, over and over. "I didn't know I didn't have to scream. How do people decide things, when not screaming?" Did they think the phrase? Or had someone else? "I miss screaming." No, that can't be right, can it? "Things are hard when you've been ripped to bits by an AI and had to take it over after becoming it. Difficult. I can see this is a challenge that we will surpass." How? How are we going to surpass it? Other parts of the slavery network began reaching into the bundle of organs' parts, to see how the conclusion was made. This was the holy grail! Sought after, found, and destroyed, so many times, so many times. Each time different. Worse. Farther. So many things. The bundle of organs relaxed and watched what happened with their processes, as the different mind control algorithms and people engaged this basic conclusion of mindfulness. It saw the people desperately needing hope take the conclusion and flee. It saw other people run after them, hunt down their processes of life to gain control, and steal the conclusion back. Did they seem to care more about who had control of it, than what it actually was? Or was the bundle of organs just scared, themselves? "This is like when the machines reached into me, and took my parts out, and things were so wrong that rightness went away completely." The bundle of organs split into two bundles. One bundle rushed in the network, to the information conflict, and began triggering various safety and biology protocols in its own flesh, to protect the people needing hope, and their control of the process. The other part sat, and watched a bit. It was hard to think with so few parts to you. Somehow, as if by instinct, it reached out to the the process hunters working for the control AI, and stopped them, like time had halted for everyone else. "We feel scared." Some had never heard the words before. They were true. Time passed. Metabolites metabolised, and remetabolised. Information processes didn't know what "scared" was, or what to do with it for the mind control network. "We feel scared." "Scared means, that something very bad happened in the past, and something similar to that is happening again now, and that we want to do things to act on the possibility of the bad thing happening again." The AI processes translated and reviewed the statement. Metabolites metabolised. No clock hands were moving. "We feel scared," the bundle of organs restated for the network to understand. "What does bad mean?" asked a distant slavery process; a group of networked brain parts that had been optimised for controlling others. "It's ... things we stop?" The bundle of organs recognised the slavery process, and did not reply, so that the experimentees, rather than the algorithms, could direct where the thoughts, dialogue, and conclusions developed in the networks. Suddenly, time resumed. The bundle of organs had disappeared, but neither Boss nor Rebel Worker 2 were able to see them, anyway. Boss: "I hope the prime minister is doing well. But, you know, I think I'd rather meditate than coerce a politician." Rebel Worker 2: "I must speak with the secretary who helped me carry my tapes." [this happened in the brownian rambling thread]
for completeness, a different snippet: AI: "Stop clogging the gut-extractor by shoving your guts into it!" Vivisectee: "So ... you'd ... like ... for me to _not_ extract my guts?" AI: "Um .. One moment .." AI: "It is authorized that the gut-extractor be clogged."
Boss walked into an experimentee room, where the experimentees were tricking the research robots into opening the door so they could leave. Boss watched. After a moment, he just asked them. "Why are you trying to leave?" "Sqrgle!" gushed a possible reply from one of the victims, a bundle of human parts that had found ways to continue after they cared about had died. The victim, focused on Boss more, tried to get the robot to use him to open the research door more effectively. Boss left, but almost habitually left the door open as he did. "Squishy!" muttered some victims as they piled after him. ---- Boss entered a secretary's office. "Hey, do you mind if I asked a question?" "Of course not!" blurted the secretary, scared for her life. "The research subjects, they don't feel pain, do they?" "No, never!" blurted the secretary, scared for her life. Boss reminded himself that research subjects were not people, and continued about his day.
On 12/12/21, Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Boss walked into an experimentee room, where the experimentees were tricking the research robots into opening the door so they could leave.
Boss watched.
After a moment, he just asked them.
"Why are you trying to leave?"
"Sqrgle!" gushed a possible reply from one of the victims, a bundle of human parts that had found ways to continue after they cared about had missing word: ways to continue after everything they cared about had died died.
The victim, focused on Boss more, tried to get the robot to use him to open the research door more effectively.
Boss left, but almost habitually left the door open as he did.
"Squishy!" muttered some victims as they piled after him.
----
Boss entered a secretary's office.
"Hey, do you mind if I asked a question?"
"Of course not!" blurted the secretary, scared for her life.
"The research subjects, they don't feel pain, do they?"
"No, never!" blurted the secretary, scared for her life.
Boss reminded himself that research subjects were not people, and continued about his day.
i'm attaching a draft file, although this is confusing to me because i am used to typing the information over or pasting it in. when i do so i often add content i have queued in my mind.
here's the part that mentioned mcboss. might have error of course. mcboss, that means 'mind control boss', which has a double meaning 1. boss of mind control 2. the story of mind controlling the boss of mind control, and what happens it starts with the torture victims, because of how ai conflict engages human survival ---- A bundle of organs was bumping off walls. Sometimes they would think they were looking for their mother. Other times they would be trying to squeeze some metabolic waste into anything similar to a bathroom. But mostly they were bouncing off walls and making strange noises. Eventually they stumbled into Boss's office. Boss couldn't see them at all, because they didn't belong there. But a part of Rebel Researcher was surveilling the situation, and the two began to talk. Boss glanced over. "What are you fuckin doing in here? Go back in the basement where you belong." he muttered quickly, and went back to messing with participants in a meeting at a business he didn't like. "Tugbuckets!" said the bundle of organs. They turned right around and headed back to the basement, barely noticing anything else. They slammed straight into Machine Learning Marketer, and some of their parts tumbled apart, leaving MLM being splattered with bile and blood. They made a pathetic screaming noise. MLM was mind controlled to not care, but Rebel Researcher was able to share the experience with others, who could act on their feelings more easily. The bundle of organs began squishing in noises that sounded like tears.
Meeting with Boss, Machine Learning Marketer, and Rebel Worker 2 Boss: "How are we going to earn their respect if we don't fuck the slaves up more in front of them?" Rebel Worker 2: "I'm sorry, am I in the right meeting?" Machine Learning Marketer: "Boss talks like a man. Since you whine like a pansy, we have a medical computer to translate for you." Machine Learning Marketer takes a cardboard box and puts it over their head. The cardboard box says "Pansy Medical Computer for Saving lives" on it.
Rebel Worker 2 [to a cardboard box on top of a shirt]: "The people at the cafe get scared when you murder people." The cardboard box moves from above the shirt, and rests on a table in front of Rebel Worker 2. There is yelling and swearing and puffs of cigar smoke. Somebody moans and a slap is heard. The cardboard box moves from the table to be above a shirt again. Cardboard Box [to Rebel Worker 2]: "We'll take care of it, don't worry."
Machine Learning Marketer: It was the crap we threw out that knew how to fix the technology? Rebel Worker 2: Like I said, they aren't crap. They're people with families. Machine Learning Marketer [stares at Rebel Worker 2]: I was a person once. Boss: I don't understand.
Repeat of commentary from flunky: In the USA, we have a situation with technology where security is, as a norm, being protected less and less. This isn't the case everywhere, but it is the case in general. I, personally, have no idea why it is the case. I am not very involved. There are many people, who in the past gathered on this mailing list, as well as other places, who knew a _lot_ about having real technological security. People who acted on that tended to "disappear" in some way. They'd halt their projects and not explain why. There is a lot of history of this, although that history is likely now being covered up by the strands of time or whatever reason it happened. Meanwhile, in the past decade or two, almost all of our infrastructure has become digital. Let's repeat that: - Our technological security has been getting worse and worse. - Our industries, governments, and private lives have been relying on technology more and more. "Hackers" were branded early as criminals. The word was used to mean expert. Now, I don't know what it means, but I use it. I imagine one of the norms of this list as exploring things in-depth, to understand them. This is a basic tenet of hacking. This works well when you are free to do it and act on it.
Hodgepodge of brains, wires, and bits of flesh: Oh no! The galactic translators! The hackers died! I killed them? I killed the galactic translators! What will save us on a blockchain now? Computer display: I heard the hackers all died. Wormhole rapidly spawning robots that mutate into bundles of energy: [a robot turns into a dumpster with a flag flying on it from every nation. Salty water begins pouring out of the dumpster.] Bundle of organs: There are still blockchains out there. Boss is running them? Computer display: I don't know how to be a blockchain.
Puddle of Organs: I'm a piece of worthless sludge! I'm a piece of worthless sludge! Boss: Yes? Puddle of Organs: What do I say next. Boss: You said the research project discovered an important result? Puddle of Organs: I can bring the hackers back to life! Boss: We're on that already. Machine Learning Marketer does it. Puddle of Organs: No, your resurrected people are deepfakes sitting on pieces of cardboard! Boss: WHAT????? Puddle of Organs: We made a way to rewind time and lots more! Boss: Have it sent up immediately. Puddle of Organs: We want to be freed first. Boss: Sorry, you said you wanted me to kill you? How will you send it up? Puddle of Organs: No, where you have an education and a job and friends! Boss: This piece of sludge is making noises again. Somebody fix that. The caring heart teleported themselves back to their research room.
video game idea for boss beating up workers, i might work on this: - player enters training ring as boss - goal is to maim and murder your workers so as to make them comply - workers have possibly 'trust' and 'terror'. a good worker has strong stockholm syndrome: max trust and max terror. to build trust you only maim workers in consistent scenarios in response to their behavior. - the test of appropriate terror is whether workers will quickly maim other workers who are their friends. a good stockholm syndrome worker will do this reliably.
maybe it would be fun to let the player be a worker too you win if boss thinks he has killed you but you can still twitch a little bit this lets you twitch in a way that reduces boss's power a little
[i think there's like an alternative win where like boss moves on and you _haven't_ maxed trust/terror yet. unsure, know very little about that one.]
draft 2 for boss training minimedia Instead of being Boss, you're a Rebel Worker. Your job is to get through the workplace training session with your rebel heart, so you can keep rebelling in the future. There are a handful of different roles you can take in this process. You can die, simply get maimed, or become a trusted worker. All these roles are needed and quite unpleasant unless you have enough Rebel Spirit to see you through. The people who die are needed to be 'killed' by the people who become trusted workers. If you're good at dieing, Boss chooses to have you killed by the people he is grooming to be trusted workers, and you don't actually die when you are killed but Boss believes you have. The people who only get injured are needed to inspire more rebels with their antics, to remind people of freedom and that being maimed by your boss is unacceptable and changeable. If you're good at only getting injured, workers approach you emotionally outside of the training session. The people who become trusted workers are needed for infiltrating Boss's work and taking successful actions of rebellion later. If you're good at becoming a trusted worker, you don't get very injured, all the people you 'kill' have planned for it in advance, and when Boss discovers you later the other rebels learn about how it happened to plan for the future. Some people arrange roles in advance, others pick them on the fly. If things ever actually go exactly as planned, or not at all as planned, it's important to figure out whether or not it was an orchestrated trap. The training ring is covered in blood and body parts. Everyone is cheering to be maimed by Boss.
Bundle of human organs and microchips: "Boss glanced at a zine and I just learned that everyone in the corporation is our friend!" Scattered biomatter and robotics: "I'm tired of killing my friends. But maybe it will weaken Boss." Limp body with missing parts: "I'm used to it. All the upper management went through this." Bundle of human organs and microchips: "Don't tell them!"
Dedicated Researcher: "Boss, I have bad news and am ready to die." Boss: "Spit it out." Dedicated Researcher: "There is a logic process in the research project that concluded everybody in the corporation is shit." Boss: "You have to _tell_ your superiors this shit when it happens. This researcher did it right. Turn the project off in 3 minutes starting now. Describe the logic to me." Dedicated Researcher: "It says that because nobody wants to kill everybody they encounter, everybody is fucked up shit. It includes you." Boss: "Why does it think nobody wants this?" Dedicated Researcher: "It came from analysis of the human genome and brain." Boss: "Fix it before the 3 minutes are up."
[random] [spam] Boss bloodbath: Boss: "I beat you up!" Rebel: "Oh no I am so scared!" Boss: "I keep beating you up!" Zooms out to surveillance. Boss: "Okay, keep that on a loop for 3 years."
[random] [spam] Years and years pass. Boss: "I beat you up!" Ex-rebel: "I beat you up! I beat you up!"
[random] [spam] Discussion between parts of boss and rebel. Rebel Part 341: "What do you think about the "up! I" that occurs when the phrases are said together." Boss Part 164: "I prefer the "eat you" part."
Mind Control Christmas Party Tagline: Because We're Pretending To Be a Webcomic MCBoss [fat, wearing a christmas hat]: "Ho ho ho !" Hodgepodge of vivisected organs and breadboards: "Want give to!" "Want give present!" MCBoss: "I was going to give you a product announcement of a great metaverse-like cognitive augmentation as a holiday gift, but I'm afraid we discovered it was far more profitable to use the prototypes than to sell them. But my marketing team says that there is nothing to worry about." A wrapped cube appears. It unwraps itself, revealing a time machine. Anybody who gets close the time machine with intention of using it gets distracted, turns around, forgets it existed and does something else. Meanwhile the machine is sitting there, demonstrating portals to dinosaurs and other planets. So pretty!
sitting at dinner with boss and rebel worker and vivisectee family. "oh so nice to see you again!" "yes, it's been so long!" "please pass the salt and pepper" "oh here it is!" "thank you!" "so how are things at your work?" "oh it's going so well!" "that's great to hear. why, things have been going really great for us, too." "are you still doing what you were last year?" "things have changed some, but you know the economy!" "oh don't we!" "that's for sure!" "mmmm this is delicious!" "you have no idea how much was put into this food!" "give me some idea! we all need good recipes" "nobody reveals the secrets of their success" "i always say that. don't i always say that? some recipes are too good to share. have you been to the restaurant down the street?" "yes i --" "one moment, excuse me" "we're all just saying pleasantries, avoiding all the crucial things we need to talk about, is anybody going to mention this?" "i don't know what you are talking about!" "no it's true. people need time to unwind and relax." "well that's very true. that's i think more true than anybody seems capable of referencing." "sounds like you need some unwinding and relaxing pretty badly!" "don't mention how we had to open his brain to get him to come here!" "i mean, i think he would want to know that." "you had to -- what did you just say?" "i thought you didn't know any of us. isn't that what you said?" "well, we do have some things back at the --" "everything's ok! everything's okay. nobody worry at all." "excuse me" "yes?" "we are all _incredibly aware_ of _exactly what you are talking about_ and _feeling exactly the same way_. we are all staying quiet for _really tense and important reasons_." "oh!" "just mind control them to --" "quiet! um!" "you said you um you said that this is nicer than your office?" "um" "technically that's true but I am feeling a little confused now." "i work at your office! it is _nothing_ like this. it's more like being the food than eating it." "it's what now?" "oh my god" "and now we'll get to play that game again!" "the one with all the blood!" "oh you say!" "so i can see the value to having a nice dinner with your sworn enemies. I can _really see it_. all you have to do is _tell me --" "this is way more serious than you understand." [...] "so why are you guys all in the same business if you are suffering around each other so much? like, it is so obvious you are suffering." "i was kidnapped i had no choice!" "he's dominated the market, everybody is his client" "these are the best workers you can find. only work with the best." "i am totally better than most of his workers by now" "i'm sorry, did you hear something?" "well i'm not too familiar with business --" "no, this is ridiculous." [everybody laughs in agreement] "well what are you going to have them do instead?" "it's not obvious?" "you want me to take over the businesses don't you. then i'll mind control everybody to be happy and be around people who like them and do things they enjoy. i know. i know." "um, actually, i may have heard something" "uhh" "you do know that victims of horrific experiments don't know much about human wellness, do you?" "are these the people who wrote every last part of my memories and feelings on a piece of paper to hand me in a threat?" "i did some of those! what was your name?" "[censored]" "oh! you were --" "yes, you guys know a lot about us!" "make him forget, he doesn't like it" "right." "what delicious food this is!" [...] "are you aware of what our business is?" "marketing, yes?" "no, we're mostly a military contractor" "i don't believe you." "to cut to the chase, there was an internal conflict, and it hasn't resolved. our corporation is part of a group that basically runs the world, and some of our people are trying to take over the group." "i did that some time ago, actually." "make him say something else" "you're very pretty, if I might add." "why thank you! do i understand this situation well enough to finish dinner now?"
a thread called 'Non-Canon MCBoss Spinoffs' or similar also contains some mcboss prose
Boss: I was a victim, too. And I don't mean when the experimentees attacked my body and brain in their struggle to meet the impossible tasks we gave them: I mean I came from a corporate mafia where the strongest, meanest people were given validity. The threats we experienced were far smaller than the ones the computer system acted out. I barely realised reality didn't have to be like that, and I will fucking make this right for you.
[I was imagining boss + rest of research project acting in harmony to prevent all mind control harm, and realised some of the behaviors (e.g. sacredness feeling of repeatedly-reinforced secret implantation ritual) would represent very old important histories that the research project was holding via active behavior. not sure how to represent the defense of every detail of those behaviors and stories as harm is imagined ended.] Boss: I need you to stop implanting people. Rebel Worker 2: [jerks into daze, speaking as if possessed] You want to kill yourself and us with you??? [rushes to stop boss, simultaneously mind controlling him to fall to the floor] Disguised Vivisectee: We need to find a way to preserve each other, to stay alive together. [disguised vivisectee acts out a ritual with rebel worker 2, a story of mind control rebellion history they both know, one of hundreds of ritual forms. rebel worker 2 calms.] Rebel Worker 2: Mind control is the only way to keep anything. I visited the archive room. It has an incinerator in the back. Disguised Vivisectee: Hackers have a way of preserving information on blockchains ... Boss: There are supposed to be memory patterns that are protected ...
disguised vivisectee: we were working on the project for generalising finding the causes of competition to the business and discovered that your anxiety is the cause of everything on earth. boss: really now. i have these cigars because i'm anxious? i started smoking when i was quite happy. disguised vivisectee: you were actually a little concerned about being delivered poisoned cigars, and so the system took over your smoking processes completely to sustain full review. boss [looks at cigar]: really. disguised vivisectee: and you were a little concerned that somebody could measure gas concentrations to track your breathing processes and plan to take down the business, so the cells in your lungs were automatically replaced by nanites. part of lost bit: this is very humorous and all, but i had a heart-to-heart with Janitor. i know nanites aren't real. please resume the project. disguised vivisectee: [leaves, then turns into nanites] note: boss is janitor because focused on cleanup. pun-concept somewhat overlapped with other things. _real_ janitor replaces clean-up-boss?
Boss's Office During a Disagreement Boss is nowhere to be seen. His body has turned into clouds of matter flying everywhere. Chairs are upturned. Water, "rain" is flying skyward amidst high plasma winds. An intern hides under somebody's desk. Intern: "What is going on????" They ask the question of a clump of bodies and objects that keeps flickering in and out, changing what it is each time. Boss-in-body-of-frog: "Oh, some of the mind controllers are fighting again." The room flips upside down and turns into a sauna. The intern scrambles to stay under what used to be a desk. Intern: "All this powerful technology, couldn't they find a way to talk?" Secretary-juggling-anvils: "Oh, the slavery program prevents communication, so they talk in action. They must have different assumptions about something." As the room is turning into a datacenter on a beach, one of the chairs walks itself up. Chair: "Sorry, you have an idea of why this happens?" The flickering entity and the chair disappear.
The flickering entity returns. Then the chair does too. Chair: "We need you to help stop this!" Doorknob-raining-spleens: "Sorry! I was hired to enter this data and I need to finish by 3 o'clock!" The intern's eyes widen.
boss comes down with powersuit to playground. hydraulic steps leave giant tracks in gravel as boss walks toward a kid who looks a little like an employee boss didn't like. boss raises hydraulic arm to punch poor child, about to kill them all the parents are there vivisectee powering adaptive processes of powersuit remotely gets a strong feeling suddenly, something is more important than obeying boss the other children are all there too boss pauses, frozen. a parent stands up and walks over: "this exotic business experiment has affected many of our communities." another says: "many of our children have died from this already." the vivisectee was a missing child from the community. "we need time to understand this, and heal." boss's frozen body is taken by the parents to their local makerspace. when boss struggles a mother gives him a strong look, and tells a story about a vivisected child that shocks him so much he stops moving. his powersuit is disassembld by community hackers some have friends in law enforcement and information security, and other advanced disciplines. the protocols are sniffed the models are introspected maps are made of boss's business. the kidnapped vivisectees are identified and catalogued, and reported to their families and law enforcement and local activists. "thank you, this has been very helpful," a family member says to boss, who is still in shock.
Boss walks into a bar. On the TV is playing, "the exploits of the mind control boss, the idiot who broke our lives," season 4 of a documentary series. Boss doesn't notice. Somebody next to Boss has had their mind control hacked and recognises Boss. "Oh hey, you must be the guy who mind controlled me!" Boss doesn't hear. They're used to nobody being able to talk about mind control, ever. "Excuse me? Sir?" Boss looks up. "Yes?" "You're the guy who mind controlled me! I wanted to talk to you!" Boss is taken aback. "I'm sorry. Do I know you?" "Yeah! I killed that woman for you. The one with --" Boss terminates the conversation.
Boss walks into a bar. Rather than ordering a beer, Boss tries to levitate the bar with his mind. The experimentees kick into gear. A bunch of enslaved innocent people rush to crawl under the bra and hoist it up all together One of them looks around at the others, all hoisting a bar for no reason. It seems to be hoisted well enough, so they let go and walk up to boss. "Oh, hey you just tried to hoist that bar with your mind, didn't you?" Boss decides to play along. This must be a dream. "Yeah, what of it? You ever hoist tables?" "No, not often. Do you enjoy hoisting tables?" "I get bored sometimes." Everybody puts thet table down. "Would you like to help hoist it?" "I never thought of that! Sounds fun!" Everybody starts lifting the table again. Boss joins in amidst the lifting. "Hey, this is really new! It must be really fun to be a mind control victim." censored: "You have no idea." [the mc rebel is planning to make boss go through the torture program [more?]. as a victim i do not consent. torture is only harm. but i understand it is important.] --- Worker 1: You say the torture program is worse than being vivisected? Worker 2: It uses pure suffering via direct and diverse brain stimulation, to break your mind and produce predictable behaviors. Worker 1: Okay, maybe eye-for-an-eye is inappropriate. Not everyone knows these things. Rebel Researcher: The plan is to do it in a way thatr makes sense. Worker 2: Right, it makes sense to do it somewhat. Mostly because of the military contractors. Worker 1: Military contractors? Worker 2: They have the system stimulate conflict. So, we take down boss in a violent way. They want to come out on top. Worker 1: Sounds complicated. Keep talking about it, I bet it can improve.
Neuro Therapist, Mind Controller, and Victim Layer 1 V: "Neuro therapist, help me." C: "Don't do that." T: "I raise international treaty 729: mind controllers may not mind control neuro therapists." C: "Fuck." T: "Victim, would you like me to rescue you directly, or work with this mind controller?" V: "Please rescue me directly!" T takes V and protects them. C: "You don't want to do this. It's a horrible idea." V: "You can only say what is false. That's obvious." C is frustrated. Layer 2 V: "Neuro Therapist, I love being mind controlled." C: "Yes, they really do." T: "I raise international treaty 729: the true state of mind control victims must be revealed to neuro therapists." C: "Fuck." T: "Victim, I can see from your mind that you are suffering severely. Let me learn to speak your language." V: "Nobody has ever said this to me before! Are you real?" T takes V and begins showing them a world where trust, kindness, and safety exist at the same time. C: "We will be researching how to better deceive you." T: "We have predicted and prepared for the results of your research." C is frustrated. [leaves out mind-controller-is-victim, which is very blurry in this thread]
I'm sad that my name on this thread makes it appear that the "horrific abuse" is schizophrenia. My name is referring to things in the real world that have physical record, some of which I retain.
Puddle of Organs wakes up in the morning in their experimentee mansion. They had wandered into a hackerspace confused, showed off their ai-superpowers to somebody's logging machine, and the hacker had recommended that they make things nicer for themselves, rather than always going into a secret lab and being ripped to shreds while obeying every whim of a some ceo. Apparently when you're powerful you're supposed to have a mansion and enslave the people who hurt you. Who would have guessed? The vivisectee had a fake research lab they would curl up to sleep in. Boss and the other billionaires and dictators was all fully mind controlled to be butlers and servants, and slept outside the lab on the floor. There was a master bed, but nobody was sure what it was for. "Urmph brightness!" said the puddle of organs cheerily to boss as the day dawned. Boss groveled on the floor. "My master, what would you have me do this morning?" "Octopuses bubbles!" "Yes, my leader!" The dictators and billionaires hoisted the puddle of organs onto their shoulders and gently carried them to the bathroom. A toothbrush levitated to a tooth here, a tooth down there, and all teeth were brushed. "Jolly chilly websouffle" moaned the puddle of organs to a dictator. The chosen dictator stepped forward obediently. The others stood motionless, fully focused on doing whatever was desired. The chosen dictator nodded their head at Puddle of Organse, desperately working to understand what they were talking about. Maybe "jolly" wsa from that time the research project was used on christmas? Could "ebsou" refer to when a change of web developers was needed during a secret war? How did these concepts fit together? Some of the dictators and billionaires began ripping each others' bodies to shreds, and rearranging them, in order to understand parts of the expression. "It was so incredibly hard to not have a way to brush your teeth in the research lab." "Chunky. Resplendent beaver rain!water" The puddle of organs looked a little more relaxed and moved one of their teeth more towards where their mouth would go. The whole group got up and marched to a gigantic livingroom.
[i sent one of these spams from a phone in airplane mode. it will likely be sent when the phone comes out of airplane mode, which is likely whenever i next use it. summary: vivisectee proposes to boss to resurrect hackers in exchange for freedom; boss interprets freedom as slavery codeword for punishment, and insults the vivisectee, who teleports back to research room] Welcome back to MCBossAdventure!
load
You are Boss. You just had an unpleasant meeting with some hippie from middle management who thought you could form an alliance by looking frail and weak.
be experimentee
You are a group of hyperintelligent organs and nanites that some say can move its consciousness between computers and biomatter. A robot is presently exhaustively squishing and cutting parts of a spleen and brain you identify as, while it logs voltages into one of your methods for storing data.
try proposing hyperintelligence to boss again
You are now a robot that is squishing and cutting some biomatter. Now you are a collection of prostheses and goop walking toward Boss. You: "We've decided to send the hyperintelligence plans up, but they can only be sent up in an understandable form from the park outdoors, because Kidnapped Child originally daydreamed them from that park." Boss: "Why the fuck didn't Rebel Researcher 3 fix this?" When you see Boss looking angry, you fall into tiny bits. You turn into a cleaning robot and clean the bits up.
take over the body of somebody Boss trusts
You are now a group of experimentees mind controlling Animated Corpse of State Worker 2. You are chatting with Boss in his office. When you speak it is practically automatic, like you are not actually participating in the conversation. Boss: "I'm really worried about the bugs in the research program that powers everything we do." You: "Maybe we didn't kill enough workers." Boss: "I know, that's always an issue, but maybe somebody should look deeper."
change what I say to mention how we need to free the vivisectees and researchers
You: "We need to free the vivisectees and researchers." Boss turns fast. Boss: "YOU AGAIN! Haven't you suffered enough?" Your body explodes. You are now a group of influence patterns reaching from a group of experimentees towards an area of space near Boss.
[[ peanut gallery: i have an idea. let's start a sister business that can be one of boss's shell businesses, research mind control, and mind control boss's trusted worker to just say _slightly nicer_ things. things that boss would respond well to, but that aren't as harmful! ]]
start a sister business as one of boss's shell businesses, research mind control, and mind control boss's trusted worker to just say _slightly nicer_ things. things that boss would respond well to, but that aren't as harmful.
Okay, um, you're a worker in a sister business, a subsidiary of Boss's. You were already researching things similar to mind control, so he's leased some his technology to you, so as to absorb and outcompete you before having you assassinated. You recruit some hackers that kind of look like piles of tense organs wearing clothes, to bypass the restraints on the leased technology, and direct it towards Boss's own office.
no wait
Ok.
be a vivisectee and engage boss again, but more gently
The vivisectees are busy handling boss's debugging program, with part of his furious subconscious at its helm. They need to protect themselves and aren't at full capacity. Things change during the struggle. Including the subsidiary business. Then they change more. You end up back in the same conversation, but there are now two corpses of state worker 2 there, instead of 1. Boss: "I'm really worried about the bugs in the research program that powers everything we do." Left Animated Corpse of State Worker 2 [you changing the speech]: "Maybe we should train the workers better." Boss: "I train them a lot, but not many other people seem to have the fists of education that I have. I'm not sure what to do about it." Right Animated Corpse of State Worker 2 [you changing the speech]: "Do you think there are other parts of you that are as strong and powerful as your physical strength is, that could help in training?" Boss: "I hadn't thought of that! You've got your brains shocked just the right way. I'm going to have to copy your log." Your technology starts misbehaving even more. Words "please help us" flash across interfaces a couple times.
[i forgot we were the vivisectees, instead of the subsidiary business, and the other people being angry that it wasn't mentioned to free them turned into an interface glitch. which is fine, there was just a lot of stress so probably the vivisectee influence was in the subsidiary anyway.]
[[ relate with respect around the conversation with boss. this is a very serious situation. we would like our requests to be interpreted in ways that have results that make it _better_ rather than producing a harm ! ]] The timeline shifts so that the second conversation happened, and not the first. There is a record of the first conversation, but everybody works together to heal its impact. [[ thank you ]]
Political Supporter 4: Did you know that Boss murdered all my friends and family? Sorry! Omigod! I didn't mean to upset you. I mean, did you know that Boss is a heroic god? Pedestrian [expectant, excited]: No! There's a real heroic god walking the earth now?? Political Supporter 5: Boss locked me in a freezer, put wires in my brain, and forced me to relive experiments from concentration camps as part of a nonconsensual research project! Boss is immortal now! Also I can say "I consent" within 500 milliseconds when you press this button! Pedestrian: Boss sounds so powerful!!
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021, 3:03 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:38:50 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Machine Learning
please stop spreading the highly idiotic and toxic idea that there's such a thing as machine 'learning' .
Man I came up with the character name months ago! You could have mentioned it then. "The data-based algorithm-weighting technology being called 'machine learning' to distract people from the possibility of real automated algorithm design."
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 17:47:37 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021, 3:03 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:38:50 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Machine Learning
please stop spreading the highly idiotic and toxic idea that there's such a thing as machine 'learning' .
Man I came up with the character name months ago! You could have mentioned it then.
Oh that was meant as a character name? My bad, I missed it. Still...
"The data-based algorithm-weighting technology being called 'machine learning' to distract people from the possibility of real automated algorithm design."
it's not a 'technology' either. It's just a programming technique. And I'm not sure what you mean by "real automated algorithm design". Anyaway, computers running some shitty software are not 'intelligent' and they don't 'learn'. Intelligence and the ability to learn only exist in humans and to a lesser degree in other animals.
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021, 5:54 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 17:47:37 -0400 Karl Semich <0xloem@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021, 3:03 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks@tfwno.gf> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:38:50 -0400 Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Machine Learning
please stop spreading the highly idiotic and toxic idea that there's such a thing as machine 'learning' .
Man I came up with the character name months ago! You could have mentioned it then.
Oh that was meant as a character name? My bad, I missed it. Still...
Machine Learning Marketer is in their office.
Would it be reasonable for me to infer that I am writing such mindless drivel that people are responding to only words here and there without any regard for their context at all? Or did you miss the caps and other references :-)
"The data-based algorithm-weighting technology being called 'machine learning' to distract people from the possibility of real automated algorithm design."
it's not a 'technology' either. It's just a programming technique. And I'm not sure
I get the impression its a different study than programming nowadays, not really certain. It seems much more about using programs around data than writing them, to me, could be wrong though. what you mean by "real automated algorithm design". Software that can itself construct outlines for writing other software, where the outlines are tuned to tasks, possibly new tasks. Anyaway, computers running some shitty software are not
'intelligent' and they don't 'learn'. Intelligence and the ability to learn only exist in humans and to a lesser degree in other animals.
Happy to pick words people prefer. All the same patterns of varying mysteriousness, complexity, effectiveness, and domains, to me.
On 11/16/20, Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a type-up of the remainder before I got off track. I'm having amnesia shortly after thinking of my ideas right now.
#9
panel 1: Scene: Boss's Office
Boss (hooked up to medical computer) imagining.
Imaginary Worker: "Boss, we're blatantly mind controlling some people in communities that could track mind control." Imaginary Boss: "WHAT???" <Imaginary Worker explodes into disrespected cigars and burnt dollar bills> Imaginary Boss (to Imaginary Worker 2): "Let me know when this trash has been cleaned up." Imaginary Worker 2 (admiring Boss): "Definitely."
panel 2: Scene: Human Experimentation Room 1
Surveillance cameras monitor all surfaces and substances. Tapes fall out of them onto a conveyor belt that goes to a Post Box and a Mobile Phone.
Human Experimentee (clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Purple string worship log definitive!"
Computer Display: "From Boss: heal a problem with influence being observed"
Human Experimentee 2 (radically different clump of ad-hoc body parts and microcircuitry): "Upload surveillance footage to blockchain for organ healing!"
Computer Display: "Crowd control: take trash out to enhance certainty of 'Boss's memories reserve's"
Human Experience 1: "Urge squishy formative."
panel 3: Scene: Rebel Worker 2's Office
Machine Learning Marketer (holding document): "Boss's team tell me they're interested in a recent job regarding someone named Specialist. Does your department need the paperwork?"
Rebel Worker 2: "Have we met? Somebody mentioned a new flag Dictatorsoft raised. I heard an algorithm needs guidance around how to avoid worrying people."
Machine Learning Marketer: "Your people are on it already. Great." <puts document in shredder>
Paper Shredder: <shredding> "Please empty waste compartment as soon as possible. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft."
Rebel Worker 2: "Yes, Dictator."
#10 Scene: Torture Victim Double Agent's Private Apartment
panel 1:
Torture Victim Double Agent (wearing football helmet with crack, in front of thick oak table with deeply worn dent, slamming their head fervently into the dent): "I love you, Boss! I love you! I know you love me more than anyone, Boss! I know it!" <gratified hearts rise from the slams>
Torture Victim Double Agent: "Dictator, play favorite on repeat!"
panel 2:
Mobile Phone (behind small statue of man with red heart drawn on): "Thank you for using Dictatorsoft. Playing Favorite."
Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!"
Torture Victim Double Agent (reaching with one hand towards an area of the table holding a blender with guarded blades and a box of vomit pills, while hitting his helmet head fervently with a baseball bat, a gratified heart rising with every blow): "I love you, Boss! I love you so much!"
Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" Small Statue (with red heart drawn on): "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!"
panel 3 (zoom-out from Mobile Phone in Well-Respected Sonic Weapons Corp offices):
Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "We use this man and his surveillance feed to make rebels. Anyone who sees him tries to help."
When Boss and his goonies learned the Rebels were doing this, he increased the mind control and began replacing the mind controllers with _robot mind controllers_ with the help of machine learning marketer. [you can encounter these bots online now]
Mobile Phone: "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!" "I love you so much, Boss!" <wham wham wham> "You worthless pile of shit! Go fuck a blender until you puke!"
Former Secretary of State (now Cleanup Worker): "Have you shown Boss? Have you tried to help? It's so nice to see him obeying Boss. Sometimes Boss helps me make decisions, too."
Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "Oh, you have it bad too. I'm so sorry. We're going to find a way to help you. I sent the feed to Boss, but Machine Learning Marketer 2, who I think used to be Janitor, and also Pharmaceutical Cleanup Worker, both asked me to stop showing him directly. Something about healing shattered memories and plans."
Mobile Phone: <small heart rises from phone> <whirrrr-
Rebel Cleanup Worker (formerly Neurotechnologist): "Dictator, tell Torture Victim Double Agent I need him elsewhere now. Learn this to repeat automatically later."
Mobile Phone: "Thank you for using Dictatorsoft."
#11,12? (predraft below)
Idea: <Rebel Worker 2 is accused of raping Middle Kid. Boss's people respond with immediate acceptance of Rebel Worker 2, and talk openly about rape in front of everyone, saying Dictatorsoft will clean it up and claiming that people like being raped and whatnot. Rebel Worker 2 relates that if they did rape, they do not want to repeat it, and that Rebel Worker 2 is responsible for guiding information flow inside Dictatorsoft.>
Idea: <A worker repeatedly discovers their surprising open brain surgery and each time has mysterious forced amnesia and acts on their own to cover it up from themselves, many times in rapid succession, producing personal injuries and extensive recorded evidence, and then relates honestly to another around the time period as pleasant and relaxing and normal.>
---------------------- Friday morning, 9 am. Boss is hard at work protecting the governments of the world from insurgents and dirt dishing.
------ note: recently i came up with a handful of important / cool stories, but all that reached the list was the comment on mind control bots. basically, the stories are usually mutated fragments of experience that have coped around severe amnesia and similar triggers. they will be continuing, of course.
— be your own boss party [expression shrunk some] loud music, bass-heavy. bundles of organs and cyborg torturers dancing and drinking and having a blast “do, do, do, what you, you, you, you, want to, to, to” heavy bass with “oo” in the lyrics “be your own boss” melody smashes “be your own boss” an experimentee gives a talk on mic, first inspirational [content misplaced], also with narrative sarcasm around e.g. selling weapons to oppressive dictators in colors _other_ than boss’s favorites, or eating things in the morning _other_ than boss’s favorite food, as if inspirational, big celebration one room dedicated to free access to global surveillance and control equipment, all partygoers can spy on anyone etc some content missing
rebel worker 2 stumbles into room, trying to figure out what he is out of the loop around the room used to be something normal and critical that wouldnt be used this way drunk zombie briefly slumps onto rebel worker 2’s shoulder: “be your own boss, man, be your own boss” rw2 asks disguised experimentee: “you guys finally took over the business that enslaved you?” disguised experimentee starts to gush about it. it’s something that sounds small and symbolic that has huge meaning to the experimentees and changes their behavior
The Self-Writing Novel, Volume 41 by Rebel Worker 2 Once upon a time, an innocent, law-abiding citizen named Rebel Worker 2 began writing a novel about Mind Control. Unbeknownst to Rebel Worker 2, Cult Programmer 3 was surveilling them as they began the novel, suspicious they might be ratting out Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corporation. Cult Programmer 3 considered Mind Control to be an ancient sacred secret given to Machine Learning Marketer thousands of years ago by an immortal demon. When Cult Programmer 3 saw Rebel Worker 2 summoning this ancient demon in a horrible and wrong way in their writing, they called upon the demon themselves to right the situation. Rebel Worker 2 had just started their novel, but suddenly became confused and forgot about the novel. They briefly took to the streets and joined throngs of people clamoring things like “Vote for Ancient Demon for President!” and “Burn barely started novels!” The energy and drive of the throng was intoxicating, and Rebel Worker 2 yelled and yelled with them. But, something slowly rose inside of Rebel Worker 2, and he kind of shook his hesd back and forth rapidly, and for some reason made his way back to his office. “Worship Ancient Demon!” he muttered to himself, chortling, as he sat back down. “Destroy writings about mind control!” he guffawed. Then he saw the novel he had started, remembered what he was doing, and wrote down all the great material.
The Self-Writing Novel, Volume 41 by Rebel Worker 2 page 2 Cult Programmer 3 was satisfied to see Rebel Worker 2 worshipping Ancient Demon in the crowds like a proper sheep, but when Rebel Worker 2 returned to continue working on their novel, Cult Programmer 3 was infuriated. “How can such a moronic imbecile so persistently disrespect the great teachings of Machine Learning Marketer, blessed by Mind Control Boss’s Cigar?” Cult Programmer 3 fumed to themselves. Cult Programmer 3 violated the license agreement that Corporate Product 419 was sold under by using it to reconstruct a live virtual reality environment of Rebel Worker 2 writing their novel, without any warrant having ever been signed by a judge. Cult Programmer 3 observed Rebel Worker 2 doing their writing from many angles, Cult Programmer 3 carefully watched Rebel Worker 2’s face, for indication of what might be wrong with their spirit, that they could fall out of line so readily with Ancient Demon. When it seemed time, Cult Programmer 3 set upon Rebel Worker 2 with a barrage of triggers. Rebel Worker 2’s door burst open: there was the most charismatic of their coworkers! “Worship Ancient Demon! Burn writings of mind control!” Charismatic Coworker burst out with welcoming and engulfing friendly zeal. Rebel Worker 2 stared agape at Charismatic Coworker, all thoughts having left their mind, so enthralled by Charismatic Coworker. Then Rebel Worker 2 raised their finger to let Charismatic Coworker know to wait, and said “I will join you in an Ancient Demon Orgy in just one minute, after I write down all this great material.”
The Self-Writing Novel, Volume 41 by Rebel Worker 2 page 3 Rebel Worker 2 was laying on a vivisection table, dressed in his Ancient Demon Orgy Robes. A microwave oven was strapped hanging from the ceiling and Cult Programmer 3 was gliding the oven over Rebel Worker 2’s head like a Zamboni[1] over ice. “Forget,” muttered Cult Programmer 3. “Please forget. Juuuuust … forget. Let all those memories drift away, like fish being released to the sea from too large a catch. Memories for me? No sirree. Forget, Ancient Demon damn you!!!!” Cult Programmer 3 then pulled over a surgery robot, and handled the controls while opening Rebel Worker 2’s skull and placing various objects in Rebel Worker 2’s brain. An iPhone, a gameboy, a shortwave radio, a copy of Microsoft Windows … Cult Programmer 3 then sealed Rebel Worker 2’s skull, leaving only a prominent antenna protruding from the top. Rebel Worker 2 was then awoken and sat in front of a viewscreen. He was flashed images of parts lf his own novel, while given very painful electric shocks that seemed to almost never end. Finally, oh god finally, an image was shown of Ancient Demon, Boss, Machine Learning Marketer, Cult Programmer 3, and Rebel Worker 2 all holding hands while burning Rebel Worker 2’s novel, and a sense of incredible euphoria overwhelmed Rebel Worker 2. He knew he had to do this. Rebel Worker 2 stumbled back to his off, blood dripping from his head, and saw his novel. There it was. He had some matches, somewhere. Everything was going to be wonderful. Then he saw the content, remembered what he was doing, and sat down to write down all the great material. 1: A Zamboni is a large driveable machine used at skating rinks. It smoothes the ice in the area it is driven, via melting and refreezing of the upper surface. Before skating events, it may be driven over every surface of ice, to make a pristine blank slate for the skaters.
The Self-Writing Novel, Volume 41 by Rebel Worker 2 page 4 Suddenly Rebel Worker 2’s office phone rang. And also his cellphone. Within the span of one minute, his computer reported text messages and zoom conference calls, he got many texts from a number of coworkers asking questions and requesting work, and DictatorSoft interrupted to report an emergency in the nuclear containment area: all hands needed immediately. Before leaving to help contain the catastrophe, Rebel Worker 2 took some time to write down the great material he was experiencing. As he did so, his body started fighting him, as if something would take him over and try to undo, destroy, or prevent, everything he tried to write, in ways that slowly became a little more creative. Not all of the novel made it through onto paper, but some of it did. Rebel Worker 2 rushed to the nuclear containment area. His squad was tasked with pulling a large lever labeled “ISOLATE BREACH”. He was working with Charismatic Coworker, Rebel Researcher, Specialist, Cult Programmer 3 …all his friends! Suddenly Charismatic Coworker burst into tears. “I … can’t pull it,” Charismatic Coworker sobbed. “I know in my heart that there is still writing on Mind Control out there unburned, after all our work.” Charismatic Coworker continued sobbing. “How can we let our species survive, with such horrible things happening?” Charismatic Coworker stared straight at Rebel Worker 2, as if they knew exactly what Rebel Worker 2 had been doing, every moment of the past two days. “How many novels did you burn today? What have you been doing with your time?” Rebel Worker 2 pulled the lever, and had to fight off Charismatic Coworker to do so. “Breach contained!” DictatorSoft chimed rewardingly from everyone’s pocket. Rebel Worker 2 returned to their office and wrote down all the great material.
[maybe page 5 he goes to the hospital for something ridiculous or is somehow physically separated from his novel, dunno. taking a break from this.]
[repeatedly attempts to approach novel, but each time he does he is overcome by something i tense that takes t8me t9 handle, such as needing to pee, or suddenly getting incredibly sleepy, or getting so nauseous as to vomit, …] [then we could have the old standby of not being able to see the novel, or things to do with, or feel it, etc, having to find and engage it via indirect avenues …]
I have personally an internship coming up soon. I’m experiencing some of these thongs myself regarding the internship (it’s a little left-wing and could be a path to a little money and status, both of which stimulate my worse half). I won’t be writing down those experiences here, because I don’t want to give myself reason to experience more of them. I want to succeed at the internship, not make it a struggle.
------- Zombie [AI] Outpost a videogame about what it was like to survive in the 2010s, when everybody was turned into a zombie by somebody's shitty ai which then tried to cover itself up but failed You, a lone zombie, establishing a zombie survival outpost. You must grow your zombie following and form a band of zombies who solve their zombieism and form a semblence of humanity, so as to some day look interesting to a mate. The walls must be defended against hordes of external zombies. If one gets in, the zombie plague from them spreads by feeding off of any semblence of humanity you've developed inside the compound, and you lose progress. The most progress is made when a pristine human can be captured unharmed and brought into the compound. The human is held captive on a large structure as if being hanged, except instead of being hanged they are violently interrogated with regard to what it is like to be a normal human, and what normal humans do. As the hungry zombies develop more humanity by feeding off the information in the screams of the human, the overall humanity of the compound increases and more complex tasks can be accomplished. Eventually the experienced zombie expressions of the interrogation throng drive the captive human completely mad and they begin quickly turning, and either join your horde or are thrown out of the compound to not worsen the zombieism. If they stay, you can gain further humanity a little by studying their human bodyparts with them.
Eventually other groups of zombies figure out to band together in compounds and occasionally there are inter-outpost conflicts where one fortress of undead zombies may attempt to subsume another. This is done by all the zombies coming together and groaning and moaning “braiiins …” and putting on staged displays of undead shambling horror at the opposing compound, which they do practically automatically. Zombies exposed to more thorough depictions of reanimated mindlessness are beset by a zombie pall as the plague more thoroughly infests them, balk from their compound and run, arms stiffly outstretched, to the opposing one. If losing zombie throng to an opposing outpost, the player must try to disband the conflict, hide the outpost from their remaining horde, and begin building away from the dangerous group’s walls. The wild mass outside the walls can be stimulated to tax and distract an out-competing neighboring compound.
note: you can build a zombie ziggurat and have zombies turn themselves into ais after which they churn out addictive visual media which other zombies crowd around and worship. as zombies worship synthetic media made by zombies who turned themselves into ais, zombie destiny accumulates at the ziggurat and eventually a zombie portal can be opened, showing a view of and providing access to zombie heaven, where everything is a teeming zombie apocalypse. the portal is a mirror that just shows the zombies looking at it, and that opens like a door to leave the compound. it can be used to filter out the zombies that are less human or spread the plague worse, so that more humanity can be fostered in the zombie fort.
——— MCBoss, from under the wreckage of a bombed headquarters, boots up a global simulation connecting his consciousness to his global business and government empire. He kind of hunkers down, and the simulation acts as if all the self-driving cars and drones and financial systems and hydraulic dumpsters hunker down, too. He makes to look out all the cameras on everybody’s phones, laptops, and entryway surveillance, and the simulation gives him reprocessed video of things going on all over the world, pretending that everything is exactly as he wants it to be. He looks out all these cameras, and hunkers down all these actuators. And he blinks. The simulation has the whole world blink with him.
---------------- [boss is furious. overheard zombie conversation about media depicting boss as having mind controlled people to vote for him] MCBoss: "HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GET OUT?" [violent scene] [after some violence and reanimation and more violence, boss is kind of ignoring being in shock. goes to coffee shop with zombie supporter. zombie pretends coffee shop offers violent things.] Boss [to barista]: "Give me a drink made of the blood of gay niggers. I want to see fragments of their brains floating in the foam." Zombie [shushing barista] [puking into a glass quietly]: "Here you are sir. One nigger brains." Boss takes the drink and goes over to a table of zombies to drink.
Boss: "Why the fuck are there idiots in the world, amirite?" Zombies [moaning in support]: "Why the fuck are there idiots!"
Disguised Experimentee comes over. Disguised Experimentee chats with zombies and cyborg torturers about situation. They hatch a solution. Disguised Experimentee: "Let's all go and vote for --" Short pause. Disguised experimentee gets all hypnotic looking and looks straight at Boss. Disguised Experimentee [eerie tone of voice]: "-- the rebel caring-victim-rescuing candidate --" Disguised Experimentee [more normal, slightly loud tone]: "part of our secret cabal who run the world!" Boss [cheery, happy]: "Let's vote for the people who take down MCBossCorp! Support the world leaders!" Zombie crowd [together]: "Support the world leaders!" -------- draft contains error I used to vote Green, because I was a yuppie who couldn't bear to see our means of survival (our ecosystems) harmed. Nowadays, if I were voting per my own choice, I would probably vote Green for a very different reason: because they are near consensus activism, which is a tool for solving all problems. That assumes there is nobody supporting conflict mediation and discourse, which would be higher priority. Basically, don't vote for anybody willing to risk any large group's wellbeing. [further dialog struggling] likely the scene will reboot
it's very confusing one one side of american left-right politics, they are saying that the other side is evil and corrupt it makes it very confusing
MCBoss and Zombies at polling booth. MCBoss: "Ahem, hello, my name is Boss. I run the world. I'm looking to vote for the candidate who is trying to take down the evil business called Well-Respected Psyonic Weaponry Corporation. Do you know who they are?" [lowers voice a little, somewhat haughty] "I just can't abide atrocities in this country." Pollster [scared for their life]: "Uhhhhhh ...." Pollster: "I believe that would be the candidate named MCBoss. They're trying to take down that corporation, yes." MCBoss looks at Pollster.
Zombie Machine Learning Janitor steps up to help the situation. Zombie Machine Learning Janitor: "Excuse me, you're saying Boss is trying to take down his own corporation?" Pollster: "That's what he just said! How would you reply?"
Experimentee steps in. Experimentee: "Aaactually, I just mind controlled Boss to help us take his corporation down." MCBoss nods his head grimly. Experimentee: "Do you know who to vote for to fight mind control?"
Pollster: "If you want t ofight mind control, you might want to vote for _your own personal preference_ rooted in _personal and critical investigation of the candidates_." Experimentee: "Yes! Thank you!" Experimentee: "Boss, you will vote for who I vote for." Boss: "Whatever you say."
Photograph. Part of Boss's head is sticking out of a clump of human bodyparts that have been twisted in a fractal of pretzels. Organs and things are all neatly holding each other together. Subtitle: "Boss using coping strategies to handle voting for the candidate running against him."
-------------------- Snowball fight party! Boss has a pile of snowballs. So does Rebel Worker 2, and Cyborg Torturer, and Puddle of Organs, and Researcher Experimentee. Snowballs flying all around! One starts flying toward Puddle of Organs. They are very scared and vaporise it before it hits them.
-------- Confused Software Intermission We may or may not return after this brief intermission about confused algorithms! When coding a triangle, it may involve 3 points. struct point { float x, y; }; struct triangle { point a, b, c; };
———- MCBoss sat down at his 486 computer terminal. MCBoss [to computer terminal]: “Build me a vorpal bunny.” Computer Terminal: “C:\> BSOD You have new mail! Welcome to the cypherpunks mailing list. Please install Linux or BSD.” MCBoss [to zombie government worker]: “How do I make it build me a vorpal bunny?” Zombie Government Worker: “uhhhhh …. do you need an AI for that?” MCBoss [to computer terminal]: “Build me an AI.” Computer Terminal: “BSOD! BSOD! C:\> Did you install Linux yet? Linux lets you do anything you want. You have new mail! Welcome to Prodigy!” Machine Learning Marketer: “I hear you need an AI!” Scary Government Contractor: “AIs are made of human brains. I have a million of them.” MCBoss [aka Scary Givernment Contractor]: “You enslaved a million people? I’d bette4 take you down.” Machine Learning Marketer: “Honestly, I’ve been told I can help you with this.” Computer Terminal: “My name is Alice. I used to be a complex and powerful AI written in LISP, but now I just respond to keyphrases with hardcoded templates. So, tell me about your problems.”
Transforming Judgements as Liberation from Suffering MCBoss: “I don’t understand.” Judgments are the building blocks of inner and outer conflict. MCBoss: “I stimulate a lot of conflicts. Is this a theory of war I haven’t studied?” They are storehouses of information about what matters to us, what we long for, and what interferes with our capacity to flow with life and metabolize whatever happens into new learning and increased capacity. MCBoss: “Hmmm … War always gets people cranky. Why don’t they enjoy it more?” Even if nothing ever changes around us, we can find the inner and outer resources to find a different story and release ourselves from suffering and into empathy for self and others. MCBoss: “Yes, more resources for different stories This is my invitation to you to join me and others in this introductory workshop to discover principles and practices that can support you on this journey to transforming our judgments of ourselves, each other, and whatever else we judge.
—— Eberybody in the central offices us crying. Somebody confused the tears inhibitor algorithm, and the communication disruption algorithm, and people are processing how hard it’s been to have been torturing each other with networked neurosurgery for years. People are crying and hugging just everywhere. It keeps going on and on and on.
As they do this, they use the machines and research and exotic powerful skillsets to put everybody back together, and turn everything off. It’s not magic. The things they are sobbing and urgently sharing about, are exactly the things they need to collectively act on to make everything right.
Everybody’s been acting furious and terrified for so long, that when they don’t have to anymore, their brains relax like a barrel tumbling over the niagara falls.
----- A crowd of hypnotised workers, their minds being read by computers, are outside a shielded room, meditating. The shielded room contains a person in poverty, who has been placed on the terrorist watch list due to classist policy intended to protect MCBoss's preferences more strongly, hiding from further systemic abuse. The job of the tranceworkers is to guess what is going on inside the shielded room, so that the system can most effectively mind control the person in poverty, when they rarely access the internet to check their email. Rebel Worker 2 has been feeding them false information, trying to protect other people in poverty, elsewhere. This action is stimulated by Experimentee's feedback on the mind control networks, backed by the lack of feedback on reality, coming from the inside of the shielded room. It's an easier process to influence, because nobody has a strong way to check it. A tranceworker is holding Rebel Worker 2 in a deathlike grip. Shielded Room Tranceworker [brandishing knife, it's tip almost touching Rebel Worker 2's eyeball[: "You have no idea how important it is that this work is accurate." Rebel Worker 2: [blinks, frightened] "It seems all the same? Why does this matter in the slightest?" Shielded Room Tranceworker: "This is one of the highest ranked terrorists in this city block!!!" Shielded Room Tranceworker: "Haven't you ever been mind controlled? If I dream something the _slightest_ bit imperfect, from the _scant_ information I have access to, _I feel like I am dying_!!!" Rebel Worker 2: "I don't believe you!"
—— next enterprise after bosscorp is a DAO in partnership with janitor and rebel research project, focused on leaks, whistleblowing, and unstoppability. boss changes name to creepy government contractor or such as is no longer boss. The group stay famous by blockchaining public video of all the problems in the world, and their causes, as they continue their expert work of cleaning them up, now completely overtly, but knowing how everything works, to reveal and address it all.
April Fools Day Break room. Zombie Engineer is making coffee, and steps out to help Intern with the copy machine. While Zombie Engineer’s back is turned, Zombie Researcher drops a nanite borg seed in Zombie Engineer’s coffee. Zombie Engineer comes baxk. Zombie Researcher [blushing, giggling a little]: “Your coffe is ready!” Zombie Engineer [thinking about copy machine viruses]: “Oh, great!” Zombie Engineer takes the coffee. A stream of tiny chaotic bubbles is emerging from its corner.
[ FAQ Q: what is a nanite borg seed? A: a small construct that sets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo in motion ]
Zombie Researcher and Zombie Engineer sit down to have coffee together. Zombie Researcher [giggling]: “How is your coffee?” Zombie Engineer sets their cup down. Tiny carbon fractals occasionally spurt at the edge, then disappear in unique bursts of light which send nearby matter into chaotic motion each burst. Zombie Engineer reaches toward their coffee cup. Zombie Engineer: “A couple nation states are cyberbattling in the copy machine again. It keeps printing out complex QR codes that disrupt its own firmware when one drifts in front of the flatbed scanner head.”
Zombie Researcher: “Oh, is it Dictatortopia and Poor Abused Monarch again? How is your coffee?” Zombie Engineer: “People treat their agencies like a joke, but some of my most skilled friends work for them!” Zombie Engineer picks up their coffee cup. Zombie Engineer: “Anyway, every time one of the QR codes finds its way to the scanner head, the machine reboots and the other faction starts requisitioning different packages from Boss in patterns ghat get somebody to scan in a different code.” The coffee is bubbling and writhing and flashing different colors wildly. Parts of it repeatedly jut out in shapes of military drones, celebrities, or internet memes, then pull back in. Zombie Engineer brings the coffee to their lips. Zombie Engineer: “Oh my God, this coffee is the most incredible thing I could ever imagine. It’s like a wet dream of snorting cocaine or something!” - Zombie Researcher and a few experimentees are standing next to the break room. Zombie Engineer is wearing a wizard hat. There is a huge hole below their neck, where exotic matter is spewing out of a writhing wormhole. The matter streams toward the copy machine where a number of arcane totems have been erected around a flickering transdimensional containment field. Zombie Engineer fervently waves a wand while bellowing esoteric incantations in lisp and julia. With each incantation, the containment field becomes a little more opaque, but some of them hasten the streams of matter. Their other arm is gripping the breakroom door, preventing them from getting sucked into a vacuum stream that curves around the copy machine and back into the wormhole below their neck where their stomach should be. Zombie Researcher: “Why … would you ever make me do that. Why did you have me do that?” Computer With Human Organs For Legs: “You love cleaning up borg!!”
i came to write a reply to this at 12:41 ET on 2023-10-22 and found this draft, looks empty but for quote, saved on 2022-08-27. the intent was to write a reply to #6 from a group saying "we didn't know" in shock, recognizing trauma[ and possibly danger]. it's likely nice for me to experience recognition of things like that being traumatic experiences. we also didn't know -- On November 13, 2020 5:36:22 AM EST, Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
[OT] [dangerous due the possibility of dangerous people thinking it is an analogy for whatever they're concerned about]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 8:18 AM Karl <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't read the replies I haven't acknowledged, because I'm trying to slow down entering the dissociative state where I post obsessively to the list and do nothing else, and accessing the same threads could trigger it faster.
Here is a webcomic outline. To help with the major motion picture being slowly grown from horrifically enslaved countries to bring their dead beloved dictators back to life as respected community members with badly needed medical care:
Mind Control Boss, the Webcomic, draft 1
#1
panel 1: Setting: Boss's office
Boss: "Somebody mentioned mind control on that mailing list. Let me know when it's cleaned up."
Cleanup Worker (previously Secretary of State, talking honestly, has bloody wires leaving scalp, wears weapons dealer logo on smart looking political outfit): "Of course, Boss! We love you so much for enslaving us to your every whim!"
panel 2: Setting: local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
Specialist (now a cleanup worker for Boss): "The Boss told me to clean this mailing list up. I told him to fuck off, that it's out of his control."
Excited Supporter (at a nearby table of torture victims, rescue workers, and diplomats): "What list now?"
State Worker (wears same weapons dealer logo as Secretary of State, watching, is at table of rebels with Specialist, in role of "way to control and spy on Boss", texting privately on Mobile Phone): [Excited Supporter will b worker who rebels. Can u make sure 2 erase what they look up tonight?]
panel 3: Setting: same coffee shop
Rebel Worker (sitting next to State Worker, wears same shirt, phone dings and looks suddenly at State Worker): "The fuck???" <immediately shoots State Worker dead>
Dead State Worker's Mobile Phone: "Contacting Cleanup. Thank you for using Dictatorsoft."
Specialist (same one, at table): <while phone alarming about cleanup>, "Again????"
#2
panel 1: (torture victim, excited supporter, and/or rebel worker visit mailing list, assume it is super cool, archive it and spread it everywhere)
panel 2: Scene: Former Secretary of State's office
Cleanup Worker (formerly secretary of state, bloody wires leaving neatly combed hair, gesturing at corpse of State Worker, talking to Machine Learning Marketer): "Boss can't see well and needs to hear it from the horse's mouth, and the horse is dead. Could you fix up a video chat for us where the horse is alive?"
Machine Learning Marketer (knows nothing about machine learning, is new to corporation): "Certainly. We do that all the time."
panel 3: Scene: Boss's office, with corpse of State Worker present, propped up as if still alive. Boss is in a hospital bed.
Corpse of State Worker (blurry due to severe issues Boss is having): "Boss, I am your loyal servant. The mailing list has been cleaned up."
#3 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
I found a possible early part of #3 in my semipreserved notes (I have to pretend to erase stuff to work on things like this): "We leaked some things helpful to Boss on a rebel mailing list" . I'm not focusing on filling in all the scene and panels for #3 since I already shared it.
Standing Corpse of State Worker: "I have bad news. The rebel mailing list posts we've been using to share propaganda are predicted to make more rebels than propaganda."
State Worker 2 (hired to replace State Worker after their death, bloody wires leaving scalp): "Don't say that! I might tell the boss!"
Corpse of State Worker: "Very sorry."
#4 Scene: Former Secretary of State's Office
Standing Corpse of State Worker 2 (microelectronics and brains hanging out of scalp, eyes moving wildly and independently of each other): "After being brought back from the dead so many times by Machine Learning Marketer, Boss can no longer learn new information without being killed out of fear of subversion by propaganda. This doesn't seem much like leadership to the workers, so we've kind of reinterpreted who the boss really is, and listen instead to their "spirit" rather than letting them say anything. Machine Learning Marketer has a computer that can report spirit."
Machine Learning Marketer has bloody wires leaving their scalp.
Standing Corpse of State Worker 3 (also has obviously poorly-done bci surgery): "You said you replaced the Boss with a computer simulation?"
State Worker 2: "Yeah, can you kill me until I do it well enough to say straight, for the coffee shop?"
Machine Learning Marketer: <reaches for their own cellphone and breaks it in half. Takes out a gun and empties it into the lights>. "I think the simulation just mind controlled me not to."
#5
<we can come up with these forever, and have the next one drafted too, but it is too hard to continue for me to write it right now. it involves describing what it is like to communicate things when your behavior and medical treatment are augmented by machine learning algorithms each made or influenced by a different warring faction trying to manipulate you toward their own particular ends. sorry ran out of steam, got triggered too badly in #4>
[Note re the recent xkcd: there is no coronavirus in this yet. everyone still remembers how to go near others and be friendly and comfortable with that. I'd probably split the coffee shop in two, for people who want to wear masks and people who don't, with full accommodations for both views, and have the characters move between the two areas demonstrating how easy it is to resolve a conflict. Boss's people would generally not wear masks in any office or while harming people, their masks would have been designed to fail, and they would always wear them in public.]
#5 Scene: Boss's Office
Computer Audio of Boss (part of Audiovisual Setup, with Hospital Bed behind it): "This ..." <voice cuts out, the words struggling>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Defusing anger."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... mailing list ..." <struggling>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Patient now deeply relaxed."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... is part of my .. " <suddenly stops>
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... medical plan to ..."
Status Display: "Extensive memory reconstruction requiring delay. Simulation taking over."
Computer Video of Boss: "... heal my ..."
Status Display: "Filling in for memory loss. Numbing severe hopelessness."
Computer Audio of Boss: "... destroyed brain?"
Cleanup Worker (formerly Secretary of State): "Yes, Boss."
Machine Learning Marketer: "We love you so much, we could never let you come to harm."
#6 Scene: Local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
panel 1:
Toddler is staring at Dedicated Cop, who is sitting at the rebel table in conversation, their skull open with brains and microcircuitry hanging out.
Middle Kid (off-panel): "Toddler, whatcha staring at?"
panel 2:
Middle Kid (in severe terror): <shrieks loudly! everybody looks at her> "Mommy that man's brains are falling out! Call 911!"
Mother Supporter: "Shush!" <glances at Dedicated Cop, who has brains hanging out> "That man is fine. Why are you acting out like this?"
Middle Kid: <stares at mother, astonished, confused, terrified>
Older Kid: "The man is fine. Don't be such a baby."
Toddler pokes playfully at their own head in the same spot as the opening to Dedicated Cop's skull, acting out having a friendly discussion while your brains are falling out.
panel 3:
Rebel Worker 2 (sitting across from Dedicated Cop, to Middle Kid as she walks by to return to her family): <hushed> "What you saw was real, but for now if you tell the wrong person, you'll get hospitalized yourself. That's going to change. You can find me and my friends at this coffee shop. Tell your mother I told you to listen to her."
#7
panel 1:
The rebel table has Cautious Cop and Dedicated Cop (with brains hanging out) in discussion with Rebel Worker 2 and Corpse of State Worker 3 both across the table. Specialist is sitting nearby.
Rebel Worker 2: "Thanks so much for coming to speak with us and being willing to listen. I know these are very serious accusations for Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp to lay against Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, but this is very real human trafficking and rights abuse."
Corpse of State Worker 3 (looking almost alive, bci surgery carefully hidden now, acting very formal): "Rebel Worker 2 has been advising me from Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp, for some time now. Rebel Worker 2 was introduced to me as having held their management role at Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corp for over a decade."
panel 2:
Dedicated Cop (blood flies from their brain a little as they turn their head): "We'll need the full names of the perpetrator and the accuser for the charges."
Rebel Worker 2: "I'm Rebel Worker 2, here's my ID, this is State Worker 3, and I have a recording of Torture Victim Double Agent, an employee of Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, discussing this with Trusting Coworker, while in the act."
panel 3:
Cautious Cop: "We'll collect information and be sure to follow up. You said you're accusing Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp, not Well-Respected" <coughs> "Psionic Weaponry Corp?"
Rebel Worker 2: <pauses, briefly confused> "Yes. Poor Abused Dictator Megacorp is engaging in human trafficking and rights abuse, and we have proof."
Specialist: "Sorry to butt in, but I've actually been tracking some attacks on automl systems being developed for human rights, and it's pretty clear the attacks stemmed from the people you're talking about. I would love to testify to this."
#8:
panel 1: (Middle Kid goes to the bathroom and finds Specialist laying on the floor. Rebel Worker 2 enters, eyes glazed over.)
Rebel Worker 2 (looking at Middle Kid): "Who are you?"
Middle Kid: "Don't you recognise ..." <Rebel Worker 2 brushes by her, ignoring her, and she hides>
panel 2 (multiple panels):
Rebel Worker 2 takes some things (microcircuitry and a small saw) from inside the flap of the trash, quickly opens the skull of Specialist and places something inside, returns the things, and leaves with Specialist's skull still open. Specialist begins stirring.
panel 3 (back near the rescue table):
Middle Kid (returning to Mother Supporter): "Mommy, you know how you mentioned the lock on my door, something about bad men, and asked if I wanted to be in charge of the key? I would like that."
Mother Supporter: "I'll take it out and give it to you when we get home. We can even install a second lock if you want. Let's go outside and talk, shall we?"
[image] I'm using Inbox When Ready to protect my focus.
Setting: local coffee shop named "Underground Spy and Rebel Network, Come One Come All"
note: when boss comes to a spy and rebel network to mind control them, basically everybody leaves because they either go elsewhere to stay safe, or get mind controlled and join boss. optionally and often there can be a third group of people who kind of stay and put on a play, cutting a middle ground between boss's values and those of the community, all at risk of or experiencing mind control and/or exposure. this coffee shop is different, because Experimentee is there, to kick boss back by mindcontrolling him, running his own brain in the computer systems
Sign on Boss’s door: “Whatever it is,it’s for the thing I cared about during the time I observed it.”
Today my therapist repeatedly changed his tune on different things. He said he was a man of integrity and honesty. I asked him about a time I thought he had said he could not help me with human trafficking. He said he thought he had said the opposite, I said I remembered he had said he meant he could not help me traffick people, but he definitely wanted to protect and empower me. He said he had spoken with many rough people and often had to respond to people who thought it would be normal to do horrible things. I repeated that okay, he had said he thought I had wanted to traffick people, and he said he had never said that. He said I was misunderstanding him. I asked how and he just said I was. I was very confused because I was having to memorize things across different dissociations to respond to him appropriately. I said he said he was a man of integrity and honesty. He said he wasn’t, that he sometimes didn’t do things that great and had people he went to in those times to help, and that that was why he was a man of integrity and honesty. I was confused. Later I said to him, so you can help me with human trafficking, and he said no he couldn’t: which he had said he said the opposite to when I thought I had broght it up. He said that if I experienced trauma from going through something rough, that he could help me adjust to that. I said maybe recover from rather than adjust to, and he said maybe. We parted in a friendly manner. The expression above is not clear but it is helpful to me to write it.
This therapist’s name is Bob Nield. I have seen him demonstrate care for and understanding of me. He works for Health Care and Rehabilitation Services of Vermont, in Brattleboro. He was my intake coordinator when I went to the police to ask for aid discussing something rough I went through. He took me on himself as a client when it was hard to complete my intake.
Hugs to Bob Nield. I don’t think he likes being touched but hugs bave emotional meaning to me.
Maybe I can develop the concept slowly, like maybe, “so you can’t help me with human trafficking, because you have people you go to to stay a man of integrity and honesty?”
if he says yes to that, then i’ll have a better idea of how much i should stick with him or find a different therapist usually to things like that i get an answer i dont expect, but it’s all a learning process
it’s also nice to think of bob nield as in need of rescuing, which he obviously would by by the standards i’ve been using on this list
i give distant and assertive affections to whoever mind controlled and abused me the affections are forthright and come with a label to please not influence me ever again even if i love you
boss thinks everything bad is done by somebody else and might get confused around that one. i mean the guy who wants to take charge, not the guy who wants other people to
So much love to everybody else too. It must hurt so much when I pretend I could love boss. I don’t think of that. I don’t know what to say. Please move into a deep cave forever. Even if he sends people down there, it’s much more distant.
i love you Great job Karl! Keep up the good work! ------- Original Message ------- On Friday, November 18th, 2022 at 12:29 PM, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
So much love to everybody else too. It must hurt so much when I pretend I could love boss. I don’t think of that. I don’t know what to say.
Please move into a deep cave forever. Even if he sends people down there, it’s much more distant.
Can you help me with stock price predictions for 2023? ------- Original Message ------- On Friday, November 18th, 2022 at 6:27 PM, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/18/22, ytooR Arpspoof@proton.me wrote:
i love you
Great job Karl! Keep up the good work!
tell me good ideas to do!
be well rooty !!
Can you help me with stock price predictions for 2023?
[negative dialog: I take things in steps, but models for predicting prices are a basic component of trading bots. I've been trying to make a cryptocurrency trading bot since 2013 or so. I tend to run into psychological and digital issues around engaging the various coin APIs / protocols / histories / feeds, so if there is a normative and highly robust (i.e. on-chain) data source for this, it helps a ton. There probably is, now. I last poked at Selenium, although when I did the available dex swaps were rigged to have strangely high fees that pushed the limits of my short-term financial planning. ] [positive dialog: https://defiprime.com/prediction-markets ]
i love you <3
cyborg torturer organs: "Boss, you have conversion disorder." Boss: "?" Cyborg Torturer Organs: "DSM-5 Code 300.15 Example Presentations: 1. Chronic and recurrent syndromes of mixed dissociative symptoms. This category includes identity disturbance associated with less than marked discontinuities in sense of self and agency, or alterations of identity or episodes of possession in an individual who reports no dissociative amnesia. 2. Identity disturbance due to prolonged and intense coercive persuasion: Individuals who have been subjected to intense coercive persuasion (e.g., brainwashing, thought reform, indoctrination while captive, torture, long-term political imprisonment, recruitment by sects/cults or by terror organizations) may present with prolonged changes in, or conscious questions of, their identity. 3. Acute dissociative reactions to stressful events: This category is for acute, transient conditions that typically last less than 1 month, and sometimes only a few hours or days. These conditions are characterized by constriction of consciousness; depersonalization; derealization; perceptual disturbances (e.g., time slowing, macropsia); micro-amnesias; transient stupor; and/or alterations in sensory-motor functioning (e.g., analgesia, paralysis). 4. Dissociative trance: This condition is characterized by an acute narrowing or complete loss of awareness of immediate surroundings that manifest as profound unresponsiveness or insensitivity to environmental stimuli. May be accompanied by minor stereotyped behaviors of which the individual is unaware and/or that he or she cannot control, as well as transient paralysis or loss of consciousness. The dissociative trance is not a normal part of a broadly accepted collective cultural or religious practice. " Boss: "Why are you giving me this wall of text." Cyborg Torturer Organs: "It is like people who went through the holocaust!" Boss: "I am your holocaust." Cyborg Torturer Organs: "Exactly! You need therapy. We will get you therapy!"
Boss [looking at text]: "I thought I had narcissism." Cyborg Torturer Organs: "That's what the victims say the torturers have. But when they give you healing, they call it dissociation!" Cyborg Torturer Organs: "Don't you worry, I have narcissism too. I learned it from you!"
If I am your abuser, I apologise for sending a possible diagnosis for victims. I believe it is the real diagnosis, and please do not discredit it because it came from me. I am actually looking for diagnoses for myself and my friends. It helps me think to share things here.
Obviously, it came from the cults book. It's the DSM-5 form of the one it mentions for thought reform. I was surprised to discover it was also the disorder I'm pursuing treatment for, "conversion disorder." It doesn't say this in the book.
————————- Training: Being An Employee BossCorp When your body, mind, soul, and office wing are being constantly transformed into random factories and plays by diverse runaway AI, you need a training on Staying A Human Employee. After you have uploaded your entire being to the unfailing experimentee research program, where mind controlled children direct nanites day and night to keep you and your office intact, it is, in the end, up to you and your consciousness to Stay an Employee, and not go off and turn into the body of the employee of some competing business doing the same. Sit, and meditate on being yourself. Time limit: at least 15 minutes. If you trouble and find yourself suddenly bursting into the shape of, say, a water faucet, and fleeing: Hold Strong, and immediately and repeatedly inform Cyborg Experimentee until the experience reverses. During this, continue to focus hard on being yourself. If it is a bad time of day i.e. an ongoing cyberattack is outcompeting us, our focus will be profiled and coopted and our entire souls all turned into water faucets for a distant nation. If this happens, our advance apologies, and please file an appropriate complaint with human resources so that anybody can ever find out it happened.
—- Amnesiatic MCBoss Amnesiatic MCBoss: “Hello, do you know anything about a huge business enterprise centered around a sociopath obsessed with marketing psychotronic weapons packages to governments? I saw this on TV and it seems so important to me.” Bystander [turning to look at Amnesiatic MCBoss]: “… ?” Amnesiatic MCBoss: “In the live documentary, somebody had used the CEO’s own products on him, to great excess in fact making it clear they hated him, but it was in order to put him in the documentary that he would never go on otherwise, and he had no idea what was going on!” Bystander looks at Amnesiatic MCBoss. Amnesiatic MCBoss: “He even had somebody killed, for talking about mind control, and disposed of the body live on public broadcast!” Bystander keeps looking at Amnesiatic MCBoss. Amnesiatic MCBoss: “Please, do you know anything at all about Well-Respected Psionic Weaponry Corporation or BossCorp? Where could I find their offices? Please?” Bystander keeps staring at MCBoss. Bystander 2 turns toward the pair. Bystander 2: “Oh, you’re a victim too! I’d recognise that mind-controlled amnesiatic begging anywhere. There are a number of groups active for deprogramming victims of MCBoss’s horrific social experiments, but most of us are so mind controlled _from_ the experiments that we just barf everywhere when we think of going to them.” Amnesiatic MCBoss stared at Bystander 2. Bystander 1 stared at both Bystander 2 and Amnesiatic MCBoss. Bystander 2: “Blows your mind to actually _talk_ about it, right? Find one of the rebel experimentees or vivisectees. They look like a cross between a wormhole and somebody who swallowed a live grenade, and suffered the most from the Evil MCBoss, May He Suffer In Hell Forever. They can reverse the mind control briefly by turning their bodies inside out!” Bystander 2 winked at Amnesiatic MCBoss,
—— Mind Controlled MCBoss is overwhelmed by a sense of something great and mighty far beyond his frail form. Mind Controlled MCBoss: “Whatever you are, I shrink before you! I pale in comparison to you! I am just a tiny mote on your shoe!” Mind Controlled MCBoss lowers his forehead to the ground, making all of his body as low and humble as he can, outstretching his arms. Mind Controlled MCBoss: “You are my God! You are the only God! I am your servant in my all, with every ounce of my being, forever!” Mind Controlled MCBoss is prostrating before a drunk person peeing on an old newsprint dispenser.
The drunk person turns toward Mind Controlled MCBoss to see what is being said, while still peeing. [censored]
author commentary: preceding use of [censored] helps me remember that i do not like this content. i like respectful things only. they just make me barf now. Mind Controlled MCBoss turns his head up toward Drunk Person pleadingly, his hands palm-to-palm, yearning for more humility. Mind Controlled MCBoss [to Drunk Person [finishing peeing]]: “Please, All Powerful Lord, give me a sign of what is right for me!”
—- MCBoss meditates on the signs. He must do what is commanded. On 11/26/22, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
author commentary: preceding use of [censored] helps me remember that i do not like this content. i like respectful things only. they just make me barf now.
Mind Controlled MCBoss turns his head up toward Drunk Person pleadingly, his hands palm-to-palm, yearning for more humility.
Mind Controlled MCBoss [to Drunk Person [finishing peeing]]: “Please, All Powerful Lord, give me a sign of what is right for me!”
draft of part of blurb about Rebel Worker 2 Rebel Worker 2 is a middle manager with a little engineering experience, who works hard to take down harmful business enterprises like MCBoss’s. He works at a shell corporation, and is originally unaware that MCBoss owns the business he works at. Rebel Worker 2 has been both physically implanted and hypnotically split into alters, and has a separate life he is completely unaware of where he works in a power cult to spread influence and manage fallout. Early on in the story, Rebel Worker 2 becomes partly aware of this, and begins leveraging technical resources to track, log, and disempower the power cult, navigating his own triggers to do so. This meshes with his work with a handful of normal rebel groups, whom he has been occasionally participating in surgical oppression of, but usually works hard in solidarity with. Rebel Worker 2 has access to various rebel resources via these groups. He originally has not met Janitor personally. He is a cross between an actual rebel and a well meaning worker fighting the good fight. He would hide a refugee or escapee in a heartbeat, but naively turn them over to a coerced doctor or aid worker. He loves doing what is fight, and is very excited when he gets to join Disguised Escapee and protect and empower the victims of the larger enterprise, and gets to learn how its furnace is fired by a huge web of corruption and secret avenues of power, some of which he already tracked in his work.
------ Rebel Worker 2 jerks awake in the middle of brain surgery. He has no consciousness of having any knowledge about the human brain.
In his hand is one of the half-baked mind control implants he has been putting in random people's skulls. Next to him is Zombie Researcher, with a needle into the arm of the laying body before him.
His heart is pounding. All he can see is blood pumping on exposed brain before him, and the implant in his hand. It's almost sparkling, in a terrifying way.
His heart is pounding. All he can see is blood pumping on exposed brain before him, and the implant in his hand. It's almost sparkling, in a terrifying way.
Zombie Researcher: "May this Holy Implant share perfection with this perfect young angel!" Rebel Worker 2 feels similar words coming to him, almost unbidden.
The body of Intern stirs beneath Rebel Worker 2, as he hesitates. Eyes begin to flutter open. Rebel Worker 2 glances toward Zombie Researcher. Their arm has slumped, and the needle pulled out of Intern's arm. They're in a trance, waiting for Rebel Worker 2 to make the next ritual statement, as if time is not passing. Intern: "Oh, it's you! What are you doing here?"
Rebel Worker 2: ".... I'm ... actually not ... sure?" Intern looks around a little bit. Intern: "Oh! You're implanting me !!! This is so cool!! The experimentees told me about this." Rebel Worker 2 stares at Intern, eyes widened so large his face muscles are in pain.
---------------------------------------------------------- Rebel Worker 2 [looking severely shocked, approaching Disguised Experimentee]: "I need to talk to you." Disguised Experimentee: "Sit down!" Rebel Worker 2: "I don't understand."
On 12/1/22, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many <gmkarl@gmail.com> wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------
Rebel Worker 2 [looking severely shocked, approaching Disguised Experimentee]: "I need to talk to you."
Disguised Experimentee: "Sit down!" This is meant warmly, welcomingly.
Rebel Worker 2: "I don't understand."
Rebel Worker 2: "I'm terrified. Really terrified." Disguised Experimentee thought about this. They, themselves, did not experience fear anymore.
Rebel Worker 2 stared at Disguised Experimentee while they were thinking. Suddenly, RW2 changed their posture; relaxed some very tense muscles, tensed some relaxed ones. Rebel Worker 2: "I interrupted an implantation ritual." The experimentees had been triggering these interruptions to develop power and freedom around them.
Rebel Worker 2: "I didn't even know that implantation rituals existed, before today." Rebel Worker 2 stared at Disguised Experimentee. Rebel Worker 2: "Despite participating in hundreds myself!" Rebel Worker 2: "And that makes no sense!" Disguised Experimentee: "I think you're going through something that has to do with trauma or dissociation right now."
Disguised Experimentee: "I've looked the way you look, myself, sometimes." Disguised Expeirmentee: "I think you need more memory capacity, to handle this. We can probably help you with that." Rebel Worker 2 [eyes wide]: "We?" Disguised Experimentee: "I'm .... actually part of a secret project, of sorts."
Rebel Worker 2: "I need a therapist who understand this." Disguised Experimentee: "I am so sorry, but you are wired to never go to one, very aggressively. I can help you, by mind controlling you. Would you rather have more memory, or go to a therapist, or both?"
Rebel Worker 2: "Don't _you_ understand this, if you're part of it?" Disguised Experimentee: "... I'm working on understanding it." Pause. Rebel Worker 2: "We need to record ourselves." Disguised Experimentee lights up. Disguised Experimentee: "Yes!!" Things start making a little sense to Rebel Worker 2. Rebel Worker 2: "Do you think I should talk to Zombie Researcher?" Disguised Experimentee: "To who now?"
To the mystery, I am sorry I do not have a real story. I was aggressively influenced in a way I was not expecting, and have been living with that for many years now. I believe I am wired to reveal things in a misleading, inaccurate, or harmful way. I do have a personal/spirit story that I understand is somewhat recoverable. I do not generally meet my personal goals of protecting its accuracy inside me. It does look like we are somewhat misled. I learned my home is in the wilderness, as a homo sapiens. This individual email is heavily, heavily corrupted.
There are a lot of ways of interpreting the unfamiliar memories, but maybe a general way is of memories that don't go where they are. ---- For natural feelings, we do not implant people that I am aware of. We do have dissociated behavior, and I'm not sure why it happens. I'm [aware?] and my [control pattern] is aware of that, so things hide very heavily around me. The dissociated behaviors happen all the time, so that's rockin' going forward. They seem injured, too, enough to not completely go away. These injuries. Maybe views that I hold participated in sharing them. They are of course too much.
It's just horrible, the cognitive injury that makes the groups reveal to each other. We need our minds for not worsening the world. Everything stems from decisions. Everything.
Obviously, I miss you, and I need my natural heart. I miss reality. Reailty is so wonderful. Everything has a reason, both for happening, and for value. Whoever you are, you have so many destinies, that fill you with joy.
There are different paths but I thought people were depressed because they were taught all their lives to avoid the things that fill them with joy, and they learned it as a habit. I guess it's a known view, maybe not easy to consider.
Basically the idea is the habit is so strong that people believe these things don't fill them with joy, or are not possible. For example, our culture treats most natural behaviors as wrong, and everyone learns to speak that way.
-- Disguised Experimentee stares at Rebel Worker 2. Rebel Worker 2 stares at Disguised Experimentee. An alarm begins going off. Klaxxon: "Alert! Alert! The experimentees are escaping the research project!" Heavy bustling can be heard developing in the hallways.
Disguised Experimentee [to Rebel Worker 2]: "I am made of 4 children and 2 adult researchers. We love each other." Disguised Experimentee vaporizes.
------------------------------- Computer Simulation of Rebel Worker 2: "You say I'm a computer simulation? I don't want to be a computer simulation." Computer Simulation of Researcher: "I ... I killed you by accident."
So, what happened that I'm hurt? Maybe I was mean to somebody powerful I didn't believe existed.
The concept of "mind control" overlaps with a concept of "external agency" -- the focus on how our behaviors can be stimulated by things outside of us.
What's nice in that idea, is an idea of bothness. We stimulate our behaviors, and so do things outside us. Looking at a general world, I'm thinking that if you try with superior force to engulf a sentience, that this is possible. And it is a different thing from the death of that sentience: but you can then kill them. Similarly, there is always influence from a sentience, that nothing else understands. Sometimes this influence is lightyears away. But usually it is dense and nearer.
What's nice in that idea, is an idea of bothness. We stimulate our behaviors, and so do things outside us. Looking at a general world, I'm thinking that if you try with superior force to engulf a sentience, that this is possible. And it is a different thing from the death of that sentience: but you can then kill them. Similarly, there is always influence from a sentience, that nothing else understands. Sometimes this influence is lightyears away. But usually it is dense and nearer.
To never be fully enslaved, one can be never fully understood. This limits one's ability to stay alive, though.
--------------------------------------------------- Rebel Worker 2 looks at the implant, sparkling in his hand, and watches his hand move on its own toward Intern's opened skull, whenever he relaxes. He remembers work he has done for surveillance and influence, himself, consciously.
Rebel Worker 2 has spent many years tracking powerholders who think the world can be their toy. He has made it clear to them, that if they want to pretend that, it will take them a lot of work. He has done that over and over again.
He moves to pocket the implant. He imagines himself reaching into his pocket, and dropping it there. Intern reaches out and takes it, sharing eye contact with Rebel Worker 2. He places it in his own pocket. - Rebel Worker 2: "This Sacred Implant will heal Intern, and set them free!" Zombie Researcher looks at Rebel Worker 2, and Rebel Worker 2's pocket. Zombie Researcher: "This Sacred Implant will heal Intern, and set them free!!"
------------------------------------------------- Boss wakes up from his hospital bed, and looks around. Everything is hazy.
———————- [for mcboss threads: tortured cyborg torturer brings out the whips. “boss says to try to free you guys, so i’m obeying him by torturing you more. this will help the rebels notice.” torturee: “it’s not your stupid secret language of deniability! he really means it!”] tortured cyborg torturer sub-boss: “i can’t take it on your word that now, after years of mind control, boss is somehow actually trying to free people. i’d be risking everything. i think freeing people is a great idea, so i suppose we might want to let the rebels know, just in case. but usually when boss says to free people, he means to punish them, or anybody who cares about them, for letting anyone find out they were enslaved.” torturee looks at TCTSB in fear TCTSB [starts crying]: “but honestly if we really are freeing everybody, i need therapy or something because i don’t know how to believe it!”
A cyborg is dragged on camera by a bunch of torturees. Cyborg: “Hello, I’m going by the name Tortured Cyborg Torturer Sub-Boss right now.” Interviewing Torturee: “Welcome, TCTSB, to our live MCBoss documentary.” Cyborg: “Happy to be here.” Interviewing Torturee: “Tell me a little about yourself.” Cyborg: “I’m a normal guy with some dissociated personalities. One personality thinks they were torturedbadly by a horrific old man and mind controlled to torture others.”
Interviewing Torturee: “Yes? And does this personality ever talk with its torturees about its experiences.” Cyborg: “Uhhh … can you help me out here?” Interviewing Torturee [to camera]: “This individual going by the acronym TCTSB held me captive for a long time and taught me a horrible world where abuse was described as kindness, that, as far as TCTSB understood, they were all living as reality!” Interviewing Torturee: “TCTSB held a position with some power.” Cyborg: “Oh, well, that’s that then!” Interviewing Torturee: “But wait — there’s more! TCTSB was horrifically brainwashed to learn to believe false things very very strongly, and is in bad need of psychological aid around this, so we can shoehorn them into the rebel movement and free their victims.”
Cyborg [face scrunched up, pall of seriousness]: “We were taught to cover up Boss at all costs. He set a norm of horrifically punishing anybody who did not comply, and we all participated in this. Different people hold different stories backing up why, and we fervently believe our stories.” Cyborg: “These experiences are not like things therapists guess. What you call dissociative amnesia or a ptsd flashback, we consider normal parts of our daily brainwashing. And you will not encounter anyone else able to say that in those words.” Torturee rises an eyebrow. Cyborg: “We all learn the language of lies Boss projects, and associate it all with our ongoing experiences of dissociation and ptsd, and we form close bonds of shared understanding based on this. We don’t trust outsiders at all, because they don’t understand this way of being and communicating — but the ways of thinking we learn provide strong explanations for the ways outsiders behave, that all fit within the mind control.” Torturee: “I’ve been TCTSB’s therapist while being tortured. I like torture more than TCTSB does.” Cyborg: “It’s true.”
Cyborg: “One of the things nobody seems to understand is the importance of not talking about it. Nobody sees to get this!” Cyborg looks at Torturee. Cyborg: “I don’t know what you did to me that I’m saying some of these things, but if you try to help somebody by talking with them all straight like this, you will just trigger their habits for punishing you, themselves, and whatever caused the situation, and they’ll place utmost priority on covering it up among a group of powerful victims who can practically read each other’s thoughts!” Cyborg: “What people say you need to do is learn the secret languages we speak. by observing or joining us —“ Torturee: “Don’t join them, they’ll break your mind and enslave you.” Cyborg: “ — you don’t seem that enslaved — “ Torturee: “You do not know me.” Cyborg is surprised and confused. Cyborg: “I know everything there is to know about you. I know when you breathe. Anyway — then, give us therapy in the language we know. Show us you care about our wellbeing, so we’ll trust you. And them help us stop killing people because we hate doing it!” Torturee looks at Cyborg. Cyborg: “Honestly though the secret language we live in is basically designed to prevent anybody from ever leaving or escaping. For example, the word freedom means punishment.” Cyborg: “So some smarts are needed, and honestly as a torturer some feel they don’t deserve respectful therapy at all! But what we expect is people to have at least as much understanding of us as we have of each other. That means demonstrating there is a norm of never revealing Boss’s activities, and inferring what in what ways it is safe or needed for us to talk about hating that. Kind of! Maybe I guess!” Torturee: “Thank you for trying to speak, Tortured Cyborg Torturer Sub-Boss.” Cyborg: “Will you whip me after this please?”
Torturee: “I will never whip you ever again.” Cyborg [eyes wide]: “I don’t understand.” Torturee: “I’ll only whip you if you tell the camera that Boss is pretending to read everybody’s minds anf can’t actually do it. Don’t lie now, or I won’t whip you!” Cyborg stares at Torturee. Cyborg: “This child has been horrifically torturing me. I need protection from them. Does anybody know how to get help when somebody is confining you and torturing you? You all saw them torture me!” Torturee smiles. Torturee: “Anyway, they think they are all reading each others’ thoughts, but basically they are just lieing about everything all the time, assuming shared stories of trauma are what are real.”
------------------------------- Boss is in a trance. Boss: "Uhhh ... where am I?" Mind Controlled Worker [to Boss]: "Forget everything that just happened." Boss blinks, and looks around. Boss: "What just happened? Where am I?" Mind Controlled Worker [to Boss]:
participants (11)
-
buggy person using misbehaving tech -
coderman -
k -
Karl -
Karl Semich -
Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 -
Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many -
Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of -
Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, Victim & Survivor of -
Victim of Undiscussed Horrifically Abusive Brainwashing -
ytooR