[UR-WG] UR for storage accounting

Andrea Cristofori andrea.cristofori at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Sep 4 09:25:54 CDT 2009

Hi Donal,

On 09/03/2009 05:13 PM, Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Andrea Cristofori wrote:
>> I have been trying to follow the development on UR in the last few
>> month and I have a question for you. In particular I am interested in
>> knowing if any work has been made regarding UR for storage
>> accounting. If so
>> where can I find it?
>
> There's not been a lot of work done on it. The problem is that the
> people who have contributed work so far have tended to be from the
> computation domain, not the storage domain, so we've not understood
> what's needed. We can't work on stuff we don't understand (but yes, we
> know it matters, and we know that networking is an issue too, and the
> problems are about equivalent too).

In fact we started to discuss the matter and there is a growing interest
on the subject.

>> In case no work has yet been done is there a plan to include it at a
>> certain point?
>
> It's not on the group's near term work roster, which is focussed on
> doing a production profile of the existing UR to make it able to meet
> the requirements of production grids better. (Plus I'm snowed under with
> management bureaucracy, which is really impacting on my ability to do
> *anything* relating to OGF; too many folks demanding time-consuming
> reports immediately...)
>
> While doing accounting for storage is a longer term goal, I don't think
> it's going to happen this calendar year. (Next year, it'll be someone
> else's problem anyway due to funding changes here.)

Do you plan to meet or make a phone conference in the near future to
discuss, in general, future developments? Maybe I could join and put
some effort in the subject. If necessary I could prepare a presentation
of some of the work that we did up to now.

Andrea

--
Andrea Cristofori
INFN-CNAF