[ur-wg] Mailing List Discussions: Comment #3c

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed May 10 00:57:14 CDT 2006

Rosario Michael Piro wrote:
> To clarify what the field contains, it might also be called "VOName",
> being just a plain string. However, a field that determines the name of
> the VO is needed, at least for LCG/EGEE and I'm sure other grid
> projects/enviroments will appreciate it, too.
>
> A better idea would eventually be having an element "VO" or
> "VirtualOrganization" that in turn contains an element or attribute
> "VOName". this would allow for later extension in case somebody needs an
> URL or whatever ...

I'm not 100% convinced. But then I've never really understood what a VO
Name is to start out with. Mind you, I don't feel all that much happier
about the whole notion of VO; I suspect that it's overloaded with all
sorts of stuff that perhaps ought to be described in different ways.

I can't quite put my finger on what's making me feel like this though.
Oh well... :-(

Donal.