[ur-wg] Mailing List Discussions: Comment #3c

Rosario Michael Piro piro at to.infn.it
Mon May 8 09:22:54 CDT 2006

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Laura F McGinnis wrote:
>
>>>     3c)     Section 3.18: ProjectName fits well in Grid projects like
>>> LHC and EGEE, but not in terms of virtual organisations which form a
>>> natural grouping. We recommend an additional field called
>>> "VirtualOrganisation" or "VO".
>>>
>>> Evaluation: Defer discussion to mailing list
>

> My main objection to a VirtualOrganization name field is figuring out
> how to make that have even the slightest chance of being interoperable.
> Should it be a string (if so, what is in the string), a URL (pointing to
> what), a complex type (containing what) or ...?
>
> Donal.

To clarify what the field contains, it might also be called "VOName",
being just a plain string. However, a field that determines the name of
the VO is needed, at least for LCG/EGEE and I'm sure other grid
projects/enviroments will appreciate it, too.

A better idea would eventually be having an element "VO" or
"VirtualOrganization" that in turn contains an element or attribute
"VOName". this would allow for later extension in case somebody needs an
URL or whatever ...

Cheers,

Rosario.

--