[tsc] Draft 0.1 of the technical Strategy Document.

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 21 09:26:06 CDT 2006

Here is a quick comment from the "owner of pen"
Looking at table 1, it seems to me that it might be better
to present as current emphasis (adding OGSA-DAI -- I am not
certain why this is left out) and discuss how we add
standards work to meet industry needs. It reads a little like
a fixed agenda at moment and thats fine if Industry requests
this agenda but not so good if board requests additional
areas of emphasis.

Putting on my "eScience hat", I would suggest that OGF can offer
more than standards to Industry. We can also offer the world's experts
to guide strategy.
For example, I just spent a day and a half with a group from one of
the Big Pharma companies. This group has already fully adopted
web services but for moment at least new standards are not their priority
(they view field as still experimental) but rather Grid strategy for
knowledge management.
I would suggest adopting a broader view in document encompassing all OGF
functions
(standards, enterprise, eScience)

David Snelling wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Here is the initial draft I promised last week based on our agreement
> around the outline. Sorry for the slight delay, I had no network
> access over the weekend. Here is the todo list:
>
> 1) Tuesday I go on Holiday and will probably not have email access,
> but you never know.
>
> 2) Geoffery has the pen, so send all change suggestions to the list
> and let Geoffery add them to the document.
>
> 3) There are outstanding actions  (highlighted in yellow in the
> document) for Steven and Chris. Send text to Geoffery via the list.
>
> 4) This document will be presented to the BoD on the 24th. Geoffery:
> Make sure Mark L has the latest version on Wednesday night!
>
> 5) The following is the status section for this document:
>
> This is a DRAFT document. The contents at this time DO NOT yet reflect
> the consensus view of the Technical Strategy Committee. It is being
> provided to gain input and feedback with respect to the structure and
> type of content, e.g. is this document fit for purpose? Feedback on
> the technical content is NOT expected at this early stage of
> development. Eventually, distribution will be unlimited, but for the
> time being, distribution is limited to the Technical Strategy
> Committee (TSC), the Board of Directors (BoD), and the Grid Forum
> Steering Group (GFSG).
>
> 6) Mark PLEASE make sure the BoD read this paragraph at least. I am
> not happy showing documents outside of any group with so little time
> to generate consensus.
>
> 7) Mark also lead the BoD to provide comments as requested, e.g. wrt
> fit for purpose rather than technical content. The later needs more time.
>
> There is now a GF project for the TSC. I have put the document under
> Drafts and attached it here. In future, let's try to limit attachments.
>
> https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/projects/tsc
>
> --
> Take care:
>
>     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
>     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
>     Hayes Park Central
>     Hayes End Road
>     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
>
>     +44-208-606-4649 (Office)
>     +44-208-606-4539 (Fax)
>     +44-7768-807526  (Mobile)

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207