[tsc] Draft 0.1 of the technical Strategy Document.

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 21 09:56:00 CDT 2006

Geoffery,

On 21 Aug 2006, at 15:26, Geoffrey Fox wrote:

> Here is a quick comment from the "owner of pen"
> Looking at table 1, it seems to me that it might be better
> to present as current emphasis (adding OGSA-DAI -- I am not
> certain why this is left out) and discuss how we add
> standards work to meet industry needs.

Agreed. The spec name is actually WS-DAI (OGSA-DAI in the UK
project's name). They have a bunch of stuff already in the pipeline
ready for publication, which may be why I left them off. BUT since
our roadmap includes implementation and deployment, WS-DAI is still
far from finished. The pen is yours, please add WS-DAI and the two
language specs, relational (WS-DAIR) and XML (WS-DAIX) database.  If
you can adapt one of the use cases (or add one) to include WS-DAI
that would help, as this is probably necessary eventually.

> It reads a little like
> a fixed agenda at moment and thats fine if Industry requests
> this agenda but not so good if board requests additional
> areas of emphasis.

We need to tread the narrow road here, but describing our process of
creating this roadmap is probably necessary. Can you add a section
about this? It can be "To Be Done" if you like or you can include an
N step bullet list: gather stakeholder input, gather resource reports
from chairs, draft updated version, socialize, redraft, and publish.
Or something like this. Then later we can refine it.

> Putting on my "eScience hat", I would suggest that OGF can offer
> more than standards to Industry. We can also offer the world's experts
> to guide strategy.
> For example, I just spent a day and a half with a group from one of
> the Big Pharma companies. This group has already fully adopted
> web services but for moment at least new standards are not their
> priority
> (they view field as still experimental) but rather Grid strategy for
> knowledge management.
> I would suggest adopting a broader view in document encompassing
> all OGF functions
> (standards, enterprise, eScience)

I thought about this and that's why all the statements about the
"other work" of OGF are there. I think something more of possible/
necessary, but I'm not sure how to describe it in language that can
be consumed by the folks expecting this document. Ideas from you and
Robert welcome. Fell free to add a section, if only a place holder.

Remember, anything goes in this draft as long as the note about no
consensus yet stays in. I've asked Mark to make sure the BoD know
that this is very much work in progress.

Thanks for taking the pen Geoffery.