[sn-cg] where to fit into OGF standards

CHRIS.KANTARJIEV at ORACLE.COM CHRIS.KANTARJIEV at ORACLE.COM
Wed Mar 21 18:00:45 CDT 2007

> The stuff we're trying to put together now doesn't
> have anything to do with anything that OGF has
> done, to my knowledge.

That's pretty much my point. We need to figure out how to attract interest, or stop pretending that we're trying to work with OGF.

> I'd like to steer away from ByteIO, personally.  We
> should work on leveraging the ability of storage
> systems to do direct transfers.  To that end, a
> rework of GridFTP in ANSI C would be very useful.
> The present implementation in Globus requires one
> to install most of the known universe before using it.

If we don't provide ByteIO, we won't get anyone to pay attention. That doesn't in any way mean that we should *only* provide ByteIO. We can do a lot better.

But think of this as the "free candy" that we want to offer first.

And I wouldn't count on anything interesting from GridFTP in the forseeable future. We can't even get the document authors to pay attention long enough to finish publishing it as a standard.