[sem-grd] GGF13 thanks

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 01:30:52 CST 2005

I just wanted to express my thanks publicly to our speakers in yesterday's
Semantic Grid session.

Kashif Iqbal gave an excellent introduction to Semantic Web Services and
WSMO, and made the case for Semantic Grid Services within the context of
WSRF.  He also rasied the question of whether some form of GSMO (Grid
Services Modelling Ontology) working group should be formed.  It seems to
me that an activity within GGF could usefully provide use cases to inform
a GSMO activity.

Hiroki Suguri also gave an excellent introduction to agents and Grid,
including FIPA, Java Agent Services and AgentCities/openNet, and made the
case for Semantic Grid as integration of Web services and Semantic Web
using agents. I also took the opportunity to circulate the AgentLink
Roadmap and newsletter for information.

Both talks achieved exactly what was required - they introduced the grid
audience to the thinking in those research areas and explained the
relevance to Grid and Semantic Grid.

I am also extremely grateful to Wolfgang Ziegler for coming along after
chairing his own session and presenting WS-Agreement, which is a step
toward negotiation in Grid Services and  part of the negotiation picture
that includes a significant body of work in agent based computing.

Finally, thanks to Omer Rana for stepping in as temporary secretary (he
did this once before - at the original Semantic Grid BoF!) and to those
of you who could come along and particpate.

Thanks

-- Dave