[sem-grd] GGF13 report to architecture area

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 22:16:58 CST 2005

I gave a brief report about GGF Semantic Grid Research Group activities
to the GGF Architecture Area meeting yesterday (this is the GGF area
that includes Open Grid Services Architecture and Semantic Grid).

Summary notes below for info.

-- Dave

Semantic Grid Research Group has featured in the following GGFs:

	GGF7 Semantic Grid sessions
	GGF9 Semantic Grid workshop (invited papers)
	GGF11 Semantic Grid Applications workshop (refereed papers)
	GGF12 Semantic Grid tutorial

At GGF13 we have a session for "outreach" and also discussions
in preparation for charter revision.

The workshops have been very successful.  The Semantic Grid
Primer exists in draft form but we want to do more work on this.

There is also much work to be done on grid resource description
ontologies.  There is a european concertation activity in this
space.  The relationship with GGF CIM activities needs to be
developed.  This is not a straightforward activity.

One of the reasons Semantic Grid is in the GGF Architecture area
is to be alongside OGSA so that we can address the application of
Semantic Grid technologies in OGSA.  So far we haven't achieved
much engagement, largely because the activities have not been
ready for each other.  There are clear indications that this time
could now be coming up.

Tracking the Semantic Web community, we observe a big push
towards "Semantic Web Services" that should be relevant to GGF.
Semantic Web Services will be presented, along with the notion
of "Semantic Grid Services", at the GGF13 session.

We also note that there was a lot of discussion about agents
and the grid a few years ago.  In some ways we have achieved
some of this agenda with services rather than agents, but agents
also brought autonomy.  The need for this "self-management" is
increasingly apparent in GGF, and the agents community is again
showing interest in the Grid.  Hence this is also a subject of
presentation and discussion in the GGF13 session.