[sem-grd] GGF13 reflections

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 01:37:50 CST 2005

I was reflecting on GGF13 with others (some "usual suspects", some
new to GGF) over coffee towards the end of the event and thought
it might be useful to relay some of these reflections to the list,
especially to capture the event for those of you who have attended
GGFs before but couldn't come to this one.

Firstly it has to be said that our Korean hosts did a superb job.
The venue, food and warm hospitality were all excellent (as was the
entertainment - the dancing was breathtaking).  I attended some of
the sessions which featured Korean grid activities and it is indeed
an impressive piece. This was my first trip to Korea and I look
forward to an opportunity to visit again.

For me it was a particularly productive meeting in terms of talking
with leaders of other groups and discussing interaction with Semantic
Grid.  I have a strong sense that we are getting increasing attention
from other groups - perhaps our time is now coming! :)  In particular,
as OGSA becomes more developed, people are beginning to recognise
issues of service naming and description.  I am also now convinced
that we must take some part of CIM and map this into our Semantic
Grid world (volunteers please! :) and I'm already making steps to
talk to DMTF about this.

Another interesting feature was that the phrase "the WSRF profile
for OGSA" is beginning to be adopted, reminding people that there
could be other infrastructures for OGSA. There is no diminishing of
the WSRF effort, but an explicit recognition of the value of other
approaches being explored in GGF.  (This means some graphics on our
powerpoint slides are out of date - we need to show things under OGSA
other than WSRF! :)  It remains to be seen whether the community will
create a group to pursue, for example, a WSI+ based OGSA.  (Given the
legacy of web services in some of our projects, and the need to
interoperate with a broad range of systems and services, I certainly
see the value in establishing some means of interoperating between
WSI-based services and WSRF solutions.)

The community had previously mandated the steering committee to come
to this event with proposals for taking GGF forward (I outlined these
in my earlier mail), and these generated some discussion at the "town
hall meeting" on Tuesday.  Based on the (non-representative) sample
of people that I spoke with, the proposed objectives in standards and
community were generally well received.  Any change will have dissenters
(the status quo has dissenters too :) and it seemed that issues raised
were focused on the process of change rather than the changes themselves.
The substantive structural change (the membership of the board of
directors) will presumably demand further discussion.

At this event people seemed to get more of a sense of the overall GGF
activity (and indeed Grid activity) rather than just their own areas -
for example there seem to have been many new documents coming out, and
good targets for future output (though I can't actually tell whether
this is any different to normal!)  There's a new GGF Web Site due for
launch next month which will hopefully also help people get a clear
idea of what's going on in GGF.

Incidentally, there were many sessions (an ad hoc collection?) which
featured ubiquitous computing in various forms, from appliance
aggregation to sensor networks to smart homes.  There is definitely a
growing interest in the relationship between ubiqutious computing and
the grid, and although some of this emphasis at GGF13 may have been a
result of the Korean context, I think we can expect to see more of this
coming through in GGF in the fullness of time.

This was my first GGF as a steering group member and I'm getting the
hang of my role - sitting in on BoFs, reporting, offering advice on GGF
etc. Before the event we had put a lot of work in around getting the
mission and objectives figured out to take to the community.  My area,
with my colleague Cees de Laat, is P2P, in which we have one group
completed, one drawing to a close, one proposed (and it's also where
the GGF Process group sits, which is actually about GGF process rather
than grid processes!)

So to GGF14 in Chicago in June, and then GGF15 again in North America
(the provisional plans for GGF15 in Boston seem set to change - there
was a suggestion it would also move to the following week).  Some of the
future event locations are also set, in various countries.  We need to
plan another Semantic Grid session, to deal with charter revision and
get on with our work, at GGF14 or GGF15.

Negatives?  Apalling jet lag experienced one way or another (literally)
by european and american attendees in particular.  Good wireless but two
different kinds of power socket (caught me out).  And I should have taken
my suit!

-- Dave