[SAGA-RG] spec

Ceriel Jacobs ceriel at cs.vu.nl
Thu Dec 13 02:39:11 CST 2007

Andre Merzky wrote:
> Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Dec 12 2007):
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:37:16PM +0100, Andre Merzky wrote:
>>> From: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
>>> To: Shantenu Jha <sjha at cct.lsu.edu>, Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
>>> Subject: spec
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> So, I'll go ahead and submit the spec tomorrow, ok? :-)
>>
>> Veto!!!
>>
>> The spec is NOT OK as the wildcard thing is not resolved.
>>
>> What's the solution???
>>

>> Thilo
>

> Ah, right, that one...  That indeed needs resolving.  I post
> this answer to the list again then.
>
> I guess its 'your' way (B), as there were two votes (Ceriel,
> Thilo) against one (me).

Well, I was not aware that I have an official vote here! I
have a slight preference for B, but am also the origin
of the expand method from 'your' version C.
I don't really care, as long as the issue is resolved.

> I am not sure if we came to a closure on 'Correction 2', but
> I think that Ceriels answer ("if you need abs paths, then do
> a 'cd()' to somewhere where you can use rel paths") is a
> rather inelegant workaround for a limitation which is not
> too well motivated, IMHO.

I did not write this to defend rel paths, but to point out that
it could be done, where you said that it could not be done.

Anyway, since the subject of this mail is "spec", here are another
couple of small issues, which are easily fixed:

- rpc package: the parameter constructor does not throw NotImplemented,
   but the buffer constructor does, and parameter extends buffer.

- there are many places where attributes are defined as having mode
   "Read". This should be "ReadOnly". (do
	grep 'mode:  Read$' *.tex
   and
  	grep 'mode:  Read,' *.tex
   to find them.)

- Appendix A, example 1: still uses strings instead of urls, and uses
   file where only ns_entry is needed.

Cheers,		Ceriel