[SAGA-RG] spec

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Dec 12 14:23:41 CST 2007

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Dec 12 2007):

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:37:16PM +0100, Andre Merzky wrote:
> > From: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> > To: Shantenu Jha <sjha at cct.lsu.edu>, Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
> > Subject: spec
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > So, I'll go ahead and submit the spec tomorrow, ok? :-)
>

> Veto!!!
>
> The spec is NOT OK as the wildcard thing is not resolved.
>
> What's the solution???
>

> Thilo

Ah, right, that one...  That indeed needs resolving.  I post
this answer to the list again then.

I guess its 'your' way (B), as there were two votes (Ceriel,
Thilo) against one (me).

Hartmut voted as well for your suggestion, but on a choice
which did not include 'my' version (C).

So, either we just go with B (which I don't like too much,
but hey... ;-), or do another straw poll, which is boring.
Not a win-win-situation IMHO :-P

Ok, Proposal: I summarize the options and their pro and cons
below, and you and all list members you has a chance to do
the right thing and vote 'C' until tomorrow evening.  If
nothing happens, 'B' is the one we will use.

 (B) Add versions of the methods copy, link, move, and
     remove from ns_directory that accept a string parameter
     describing a pathname, relative to the CWD, (possibly)
     containing POSIX-style shell wildcards

     Correction 1: also for permission_allow/permission_deny
     Correction 2: remove the limitation to relative paths

 (C) Allow '*' as wildcard in URLs (in the path element part).
     Add an expand method for more elaborate wildcard
     expansion, which accepts a string and returns a list of
     URLs.  Looping is in user space.

In both cases, wildcards for attribs, find etc (which all
are string patterns) are unaffected.

In both cases, wildcards should only be allowed in the path
element elements of the URLs (i.e. not in the scheme, host,
port, auth or query elements of the URL).

I am not sure if we came to a closure on 'Correction 2', but
I think that Ceriels answer ("if you need abs paths, then do
a 'cd()' to somewhere where you can use rel paths") is a
rather inelegant workaround for a limitation which is not
too well motivated, IMHO.

So, please raise your voice now or hold your peace for
evermore!

Cheers, Andre.

PS.: sorry for this biased mail ;-)

--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however,
a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.