[saga-rg] Re: saga update... (iii)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Mar 23 04:32:54 CST 2006

Quoting [Hidemoto Nakada] (Mar 23 2006):

> Andre,
>
> > I realised that I forgot the config_file argument to the
> > handle creation in the last (synchroneous) example - it
> > should look like above.  That actually _is_ a difference to
> > GridRPC: as the session in SAGA is not RPC specific, it
> > makes no sense to have a RPC specific config file for a
> > session.  Hence, the config file would need to be attached
> > to the handle creation.
>
> Please note that the GridRPC config file is not per session,
> but per whole client program.
>
> the config file should be passed to the saga::rpc class, like
>
>  saga::rpc.init(config_file);
>
> where 'init' is a class method of the rpc class.

Hi Hidemote,

I'd like to understand the purpose of the config file
better, so I have a couple of questions.   I found the
config-file section in the Ninf-G user manual.

What is the general idea of the config file?  To me it
sounds like it configures the (client side) backend, not the
API - would that not better be hidden in some ~/.ninfgrc or
so?

Are there many values which are intended to change from one
application run to the next?

The GridSolve user guide is silent about the config file
structure - is it the same as in Ninf-G?

If not, how does GridSolve handle the client side
configuration?

> > PS.: as a side note, we do have the above form of RPC
> > included in our saga reference implementation. However,
> > it does not yet forward the calls to a NinfG or GridSolve
> > adaptor.  If anyone in this group has interest in connecting
> > the reference implementation to a real GridRPC backend,
> > please let us know :-)
>
> We do have an java implementation for Ninf-G client.
> if your SAGA reference implementation is Globus-based and
> written in Java, it will be relatively easy to make it
> Ninf-G aware.

We write the reference implementation in C++ - so its even
simplier I think :-)