[saga-rg] Research Group / Working Groups

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sat Feb 4 03:22:05 CST 2006

Hi Craig,

many thanks for your comments, and I think you hit the main
point right on target: all calls for an Umbrella RG will be
in vain if we don't manage to engage more people from within
GGF, with a broader background than we have in the SAGA-RG
right now.

Tom suggested basically the same during our call as you do:
in the worst case, if nobody brings it to life, the RG is a
very quiet, idle one.  Its probably our task to create a
certain amount of understanding and enthusiasm for the SAGA
approach to get it really flying.  This will probably not
happen immediately, but over time.

Well, on a second though: GridRPC folx are the _perfect_
crowd to take the lead on active participation in the
SAGA-RG *hint! hint!* ;-)

Cheers,

  Andre.

Quoting [Shantenu Jha] (Feb 04 2006):

> All,
>
> I apologize for not making today's telecon but I was very happily trying
> to get some real work done by not talking on the telephone or responding
> to email (until now ;-).
>
> I think the proposed decision here is the best approach!
>
> I do, however, want to give my 2 cents on how I think things should work
> out in reality.  (Steven and Dieter: Are you listening? ;-)
>
> The umbrella RG is a strategic move for all of GGF (not just for SAGA or
> the GFSG debating society!)  The ability to coordinate the look-and-feel
> of grid APIs will be, imho, quite beneficial.
>
> Given the reality of the available cycles, however, the core SAGA team
> should get their bit flipped so they can charge full-speed into the WG
> work.
>
> The RG can be relatively inactive and just kept "on the books" as we (the
> GFSG and SAGA team) "socialize" the idea of coordinating APIs across GGF
> with other WGs.  Of course, by "socializing" the idea I mean getting
> people to understand its importance and become part of a self-sustaining
> critical mass to do the work (like the SAGA team has now).
>
> This should definitely be a discussion topic for the Town Hall meeting.
>
> My best regards to all,
>
> --Craig
>

> At 04:27 PM 2/3/2006, Tom Goodale wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We discussed the research group/working group structure on today's call,
> >present were myself, Andre, Shantenu, Thilo, Pascal and Hartmut.
> >
> >The consensus was to go down the umbrella research group with spawned
> >working group road.
> >
> >To be concrete:
> >
> >We propose to split the current RG in two:
> >
> >SAGA-RG:
> >
> >    This research group will be responsible for deciding look and feel of
> >    the API, identifying new SAGA subsystems which we should/might want to
> >    have APIs for, spawning working groups to look into them (e.g. after a
> >    design team has come up with a straw-man), and coordinating the
> >    resulting working groups.  It could look into issues with OGSA
> >    alignment, or work with OGSA to spawn a group to look into common
> >    issues.
> >
> >    This group will inherit the current charter, but remove the API document
> >    deliverables and add some text describing the new scope, the process for
> >    spawning working groups, and the relationship between the RG and the
> >    groups.
> >
> >Proposed chairs:  Tom Goodale, Shantenu Jha, Thilo Kielmann
> >
> >SAGA-CORE-WG
> >
> >    This group will concentrate on producing an API document from the
> >    current strawman.  It will inherit the current charter, but removing the
> >    use case and requirements document deliverables.  The charter will be
> >    refined to specify precisely the areas covered by the strawman as the
> >    scope of the WG, and will define how it relates to the RG.  The timeline
> >    for producing the API documents will be unchanged.

> [...]

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |