[saga-rg] Research Group / Working Groups

Shantenu Jha s.jha at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Feb 4 02:38:54 CST 2006

To: Tom Goodale <goodale at cct.lsu.edu>, saga-rg at ggf.org
From: Craig Lee <craig at rush.aero.org>
Subject: Re: [saga-rg] Research Group / Working Groups
Cc: mark.linesch at hp.com, David.Snelling at uk.fujitsu.com

All,

I apologize for not making today's telecon but I was very happily trying
to get some real work done by not talking on the telephone or responding
to email (until now ;-).

I think the proposed decision here is the best approach!

I do, however, want to give my 2 cents on how I think things should work
out in reality.  (Steven and Dieter: Are you listening? ;-)

The umbrella RG is a strategic move for all of GGF (not just for SAGA or
the GFSG debating society!)  The ability to coordinate the look-and-feel
of grid APIs will be, imho, quite beneficial.

Given the reality of the available cycles, however, the core SAGA team
should get their bit flipped so they can charge full-speed into the WG
work.

The RG can be relatively inactive and just kept "on the books" as we (the
GFSG and SAGA team) "socialize" the idea of coordinating APIs across GGF
with other WGs.  Of course, by "socializing" the idea I mean getting
people to understand its importance and become part of a self-sustaining
critical mass to do the work (like the SAGA team has now).

This should definitely be a discussion topic for the Town Hall meeting.

My best regards to all,

--Craig