[saga-rg] ISSUE 132

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Apr 20 12:07:52 CDT 2006

  132) when do we refer to target host name, and when to resource manager
       contact, on job submit/description?  Se mail thread with
       Graeme/Chris "JobService.submitJob() query"
       - OPEN, URGENT

See also the comment from Graeme to the list today below:

> Andre,
>
> The client must be able to specify the resource manager to which jobs
> are submitted, as a service URL or machine name. This should be a
> argument for either the JobService constructor, or the
> JobService.createJob() & JobService.runJob() methods.
>
> I guess that conceptually I prefer specifying the resource manager
> during the construction of the JobService object. However in an earlier
> mail Chris Smith indicated that the 'host' argument of the runJob()
> method was originally intended to indicate the machine upon which the
> job should be run (mapping to an element of the SAGA_HostList
> attribute). This is confusing and the 'host' argument should be removed,
> or redefined to indicate the resource manager.
>
> Graeme

I propose to go with Grames proposal unless there are
opinions to do differently.  I like the version to redefine
the host arg better than to remove it altogether.

Other opinions?

Thanks, Andre.