[saga-rg] Re: MetaData/Advert Service type stuff in SAGA?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Jun 7 11:18:17 CDT 2005

One idea which came up was to extend the attribute interface
to provide persistency - that would probbaly come into the
scope of an advert service.  But that idea was not fleshed
out...

Andre.

PS.: I Cc to the saga list if you don't mind?

Quoting [Tom Goodale] (Jun 07 2005):
> Date:    Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:09:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From:    Tom Goodale <goodale at cct.lsu.edu>
> To:      Jon MacLaren <maclaren at cct.lsu.edu>
> Cc:      Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> Subject: Re: MetaData/Advert Service type stuff in SAGA?
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> no, you're not missing anything.  This was one of the areas which the
> design team didn't cover - I'd have to check the notes as to how high up
> the priority list it came.
>
> If there's enough demand, it might might be in the next round...
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Jon MacLaren wrote:
>
>> Hi Andre, Tom,
>>
>> Something that came out of the Grid meeting the other week was that it'd
>> be good to read the draft SAGA API and make comments regarding
>> requirements for searching on meta-data (like in the advert service
>> adaptor).
>>
>> Just searching quickly through the spec, there doesn't seem to be anything
>> like a meta-data service API.  I note that there's a proposed search/find
>> on the LogicalDirectory API, but I'm thinking about an external service
>> holding meta-data about files, such as the date it was generated, etc.,
>> etc.
>>
>> I just wanted to check with you guys that I wasn't missing something.  Am
>> I?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jon.

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |