[saga-rg] Re: GGF meeting notes

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Aug 3 08:35:19 CDT 2005

Hi all,

Petr Tr"oger took some notes in the first session, and Ana
recovered them (thanks to both!).  Here they are:

SAGA-RG Session 1
-----------------

  - All chairs but Tom left, search for new co-chairs

  - Flipping the bit
    - Strawman API - needs WG in order to make it a GFD-P-R
      one or two GGF's away from standardization document
    - new group maybe no good idea - double work
    - Dave Snelling will make a review of the Strawman
      document
    - Tom: Best idea would be to spawn a working group for
      each part of the API, but problem with man power
    - For new WG, BOF is technically not needed
    - good usage examples are already there, talk to
      application developers - especially from EU projects
      (old and new GAT users)
    - Idea Thilo: hands-on session for SAGA, using the first
      implementation prototype
    - should happen co-located with another conference /
      meeting
    - intended audience are also FP6 projects
    - particle physics conference as opportunity

  - Use case document
    - Available in Wiki and GridForge
    - Functional SAGA blocks kept independent, makes
      implementation easier
    - SAGA conformance check list necessary

  - Strawman API
    - still needs discussion by full group
    - look at the three highest priorities from use cases
      (jobs, files, streaming)
    - considered async. calls
    - abstract API design using an OO model (first bindings
      will be C++, Java, Python)
    - thinking about using JSDL terms for JobDefinition
      attributes
    - namespaces as paradigm for file access seem to be
      relevant
    - file read / write operation: pending discussion about
      scalability in remote case
    - work of OGSA ByteI/O should be considered
    - danger of duplicated work
    - task dependencies will be supported in the future,
      based on Task model
    - Security and sessions are missed
    - Session concept for encapsulation
    - Security like GAT: Context object with security
      information

  - Andre: Implementation experience
    - CoreGRID / C++
    - not all artifacts represent remote handles
    - late / lazy binding; allow to add new subsystems
    - learn from GAT
    - flexible adaptor scheduling (avoid non-deterministic
      GAT approach)
    - operations in SAGA objects can be provided by
      different adaptors

  - Consistency model discussion needed
    - Don't pretend to be local when it is remote (POSIX
      semantics are bad for such a use case)

Quoting [Andre Merzky] (Jul 28 2005):
> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:19:02 +0200
> From: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> To: Simple API for Grid Applications WG <saga-rg at ggf.org>
> Subject: GGF meeting notes
>
> Hi all,
>
> due to personal unexcusable stupidity, I removed parts of
> the session notes we took at GGF14.  However, here is
> finally the small amount of notes we could recover, and
> which have been sent to me by others.
>
> If anybody has material/notes to add, please do so.
>
> Cheers, Andre.
>

> Session 1:
> ==========
>
>   - discussion group org issues
>
>     - Keith resigned as co chair, only Tom left
>     - found new co-chairs (Andre, Shantenu)
>
>     - instruct users how to present a use case
>     - how to get application programmers to use SAGA?
>
>     - feedback: should implementors focus on getting
>       the entire implementation done, or just part
>       of it?
>
>     - feedback: agenda should be more detailed, this
>       way other orgs will be involved
>

>   - discussion of strawman API
> 	  - first 3 priorities:
> 		  - jobs
> 		  - files
> 		  - streaming
>
> 	- design choice: oo model
>
>   - jobs:
>
>     - JobDefinition may changed to even better match JSDL
> 		- Q: but would this violate the name of the group?
> 		- A: it could be still simple with setters/getters
>
>   - files, logical files and namespaces
>
>     pb: how to make a difference in the return type of files
>         ops between logical files and just files connecting
>         processes (streams)
> 		- follows the model of java-like factories
>
>   Q: asynchronicity
>
>   - tasks
>
> 		again java-like factories
>
>     polling vs publish/subscribe
>
>     - future issue: have task dependencies to provide API
>       sections for simple workflows
>
>     - again the issue discussed at DRMAA-1: session & job
>       ids related to sessions -> security contexts
>
>       - so far, gat-like approach: allow different types
>         of security primitives (certificates, user/passwd,
>         kerberos tickets)
> 		  - sessions would also be defined by security context
>         they are run in.
>
> 			- Comment: should add MyProxy to the other types of security.
>
>   - Initial implementation experience
> 	  - constraints:
> 		  - ability to add new subsystems (SAGA is evolving)
>         (write new adaptors)
> 		  - adaptors
> 		    - flexible adaptor scheduling
> 		    - late / lazy binding
> 	    - capability provider interface for one "object":
>         there are 2 objs in the engine:
> 			  - one is seen by the application
> 			  - one is seen by the adaptor
> 			  - the engine is in charge of scheduling the methods
>           of that object
>

>   - there are reasons not to keep everything hidden (in the sense of
>     making the distributed app look local)

> [...]
| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |