[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Review of notes of OGF30 sessions on 26 October 2010 - Counting votes for requirements

Balazs Konya balazs.konya at hep.lu.se
Thu Nov 11 06:45:41 CST 2010

hi Andre, all,

On 2010-11-07 19:01, Andre Merzky wrote:
> For PGI, my very humble opinion is that a charter update is not needed
> as long as the group is undecided on the explicit way forward -- and
> that decision is long overdue.
>
> If a group is deadlocked like PGI (or rather if it is running circles
> as PGI seems to do), it is the duty of the chairs to push the group
> along.  In the worst case, if full consensus cannot be reached, a vote
> on the available options can lead to rough consensus, which ought to
> be enough to get things going again.

Thanks for this realistic "status report" on PGI.

I agree, in order to move the group forward, a push is needed.

So, as a first step, the group should understand the "available options". Then,
after sufficient discussion of these options a vote should take place.

For the vote, the group should define which group members have a voting right(s).

And all this process should be done in a transparent relaxed manner, giving
enough time to people to digest the thing they supposed to vote about. Otherwise
the group will run into similar problems Etienne had just discovered.

bye,
Balazs