[Pgi-wg] meeting notes from OGF29?

Mark Morgan mmm2a at virginia.edu
Thu Jul 1 14:59:19 CDT 2010

I think that you might be interpreting the phrase "middleware-
specific" incorrectly here.  You are correct that use cases are
generally provided by users, but seeing as how PGI doesn't have any
users we could ask to provide use cases between now and tomorrow, we
opted for the next best thing which is to ask the PGI group members
(and OGF at large ofcourse) to provide some.  The use cases are
necessary here because without use cases driving requirements, it's
hard to justify or even categorize whether or not requirements are
actually required.  Since the PGI group has already produced
requirements, the belief is that the members of that group must have
some use cases that they believe are driving the requirements that
they came up with.  In this context, the term "middleware-specific"
use cases is misleading and incorrect.  The point was rather that each
middleware group (or pgi/ogf member) would supply use cases that s/he
believes are important for PGI and that as a group we would collect
these use cases together to form a use case document for the PGI group
with which to drive the requirements process and to lend backing
support to the requirements that we carry forward into the following
standards phases.  So, it's not that the use cases are specific to a
piece of middleware, but rather that middleware folks represent a type
of user (in addition to anyone else with uses cases) and in the
absence of having real users to supply use cases, they are the next
logical choice.

-Mark