[Pgi-wg] meeting notes from OGF29?

Johannes Watzl watzl at nm.ifi.lmu.de
Thu Jul 1 18:53:15 CDT 2010

Hi Balazs, all,

below the notes from the sessions and the workshop (day 1) in Chicago. I
have been to Italy for another meeting the last days.
Morris has taken notes from the second day - I was editing the document.

Best,
Johannes

PGI session 1, OGF29, Chicago

participants: Morris, Johannes, Kazushige, Etienne, Aleksandr, Michaela,
Mark, Wolfgang Ziegler, Andre

indtroduction round

poster by Etienne

starting with requirements list

1:
Andrew disagreed
XML rendering before GLUE

Alexander:
bring to GLUE

Morris:
lack of people in the GLUE group
talking with them about timelies

agreement

###

3:
Etienne:
related to GLUE

Mark:
control heterogehous resources

Etienne:
differenece betwee execution service and endpoint which is just a queue

Aleksandr:
numerous endpoints

Mark:
endpoint GLUE specific?

Aleksandr:
no

Mark:
endpoint means epr?
then completely disagree

Etienne:
if you have one WS-addressing

Alex:
why do we want to bind ourselves to an addressing service?

Mark:
just an example

Etienne:
GLUE totally agnostic about the transport mechanism

XML description of the endpoint

Aleksandr:
no accessity for this requirement

Morris, all:
refining the requirement; depicting structure of requirement to make clearer

discussion about GLUE endpoint homogenous vs. heterogenous

changing to:
A GLUE endpoint can describe only one job submission interface (e.g. BES).
Job submission interfaces which have different properties must be captured
by separate GLUE computing endpoints.

agreement

###

9:
Mark:
why prohibit anonymous execution

Aleksandr:
every service should require encrypted connection
personally vote no

changing to X.509 on TLS (mandatory option, allowing others)

Alex:
not seeing why it is necessary

agreement

###

10:
Mark:
why limit to IGTF

Aleksandr:
out of scope

Morris:
out of scope

out of scope

###

11:

proceed with 12

###

12:
Morris:
would drop it

out (too general)

###

13,14,15,16:
out (just options)

###

17:
Etienne:
can we propose that it must accept one of the X.509 proxies, Full X.509)

Morris:
difficult to agree on in that sense

Aleksandr:
should note that SAML is just a syntax

Etienne:
who really requires SAML?

SAML out of scope because of its complexity

agreement

###

18:
out (it is a policy)

###

24:
Aleksandr:
out
because its up to the implementation

postponed, no agreement

###

25:
postponed

###

26:
postponed

###

27:
out (practically impossible)

###

33:
Morris:
meta model
always contact them first
not defined, assumed

Aleksandr:
deep negative impact on interoperability

Etienne:
either must be an information service providing security information for
endpoints
or endpoint must provide its own security info through public interface

postponed

Session 2:

38-41:
Etienne:
do not agree with current title
requirement for security audits

Mark:
logging must be kept

Morris:
rename to
logging information must be kept and must be made available

out of scope (remotely logging is out of scope)

Mark:
make statement: logging is out of scope of PGI

efforts in JSDL activity instance

###

42:
Mark:
implementation detail
strongly disagree

Morris:
out

Etienne:
relationship with the GLUE model

out (too strict)

###

47:
Mark:
out

out (not in accordance in distributed systems design)

###

48-54:

Etienne:
execution service must stay always the same

rename

Mark:
why requiring?

Etienne:
implication on what is a job id

Mark:
what job id is is a specification

postponed

###

55:
Mark:
it is a definition not a requirement

renaming
PGI does not deal with job workflows, job collections
agreement

###

56,57:
agreement

###

58:
Morris:
out bacause collcetions are out of scope

Wolfgang:
how do you define collections

Morris:
jobs with one common id

change to "should not"

agreement

###

59:
Aleksandr:
think we do not need this requirement

Etienne:
we must state what is in and out of scope of PGI

###

60:
duplicate to 55

###

69:
postponed

session 3:

70:
no, don't need filters

###

71:
out (complementary efforts in JSDL activity)

###

72:
Aleksandr:
about extensible state

Morris:
one mandatory state model - PGI model
but other models based on this

Mark:
not going to do state model substating like BES does?

Aleksandr:
parallel stating, not substating

Morris:
not the intetion in this requirement

Mark:
reword it

yes

###

73:
Etienne:
complex queries, vote no
execution service should be as simple as possible

Morris:
not needed

out (not needed)

###

74:
Morris:
could rephrase it

Mark:
talking about getting the list of activities

yes

###

75:
Etienne:
execution of the job can be completely opaque to the user
user never interacts with the job

out (manual data staging required)

###

76:
Aleksandr:
just opposite of 75

Etienne:
if I am only one, then yes. don't want to block group agreement

yes

###

77:
out (implied in 76)

###

78:
Morris:
different understanding of the states

Mark:
definitely agree with this requirement

Etienne:
propose to rephrase the requirement

Aleksandr:
should we have this in requirements

yes

###

79:
yes

###

80:
Aleksandr:
would vote yes

rephrase to suspend

yes

###

82:
Aleksandr:
some elements should be allowed to be ignored

Mark:
create optional requirement within JSDL

yes

###

83:
yes

###

84:
Mark:
we disagree
part of original BES spec, common use case for us

you could just not use it

rephrase

Mark:
potential value add for GENESIS

yes

###

85:
Etienne, Kazushige:
no, because of complexity

Morris, Mark:
should be optional

Aleksandr:
how define finished state?

rephrase

yes

###

87-89:
postponed

#####################################

PGI Workshop after OGF29, Chicago

participants:
Morris, Aleksandr, Michaela, Kazushige, Johannes, Mark, John, Giuseppe,
Andre

90:
Morris:
who voted no?

yes

91:
Michaela:
contradiction to 90?

Mark:
91 you have to do it before you create activity

Aleksandr:
you cannot return id

Mark, Morris:
like 92 more
execution service should have control over it

Morris:
92 is on top of 90

91,92 out

###

93:
rephrase

Mark:
requirement is out, should be downgraded to may or can

Etienne:
if we want this requirmenet we have to describe it

vote, majority needs it

Aleksandr:
could implement it as an extension

###

95:
Mark:
implementation details

Morris:
out, because non-functional

###

96:
Etienne:
related to the model of stability of the endpoint

Morris:
get an idetifier back that points to the second

Mark:
if activity migrates around you don't have to track

WS-naming is the answer

Etienne:
sequence diagram

Morris:
does not need to be an epr

Aleksandr:
if you migrate
different services may choose different ways to create eprs

postponed

###

97:

postponed

###

98:
Morris:
seems to also go into this direction

Etienne:
still vote no
in order to keep the client simple

Morris:
no

postponed

###

99:
Morris, Etienne:
duplicate to 84

###

103:
Morris:
would say yes

Etienne:
would vote no

agreement on yes

###

104:
Aleksandr:
don't know if it is a requirement

Etienne:
would like to change some into any

yes

###

105:
Aleksandr:
101 duplicate/subset of 105

yes

###

106:
skip, postponed

###

109:
Morris:
structure needs to be somehow more GLUE

John:
equivalent of cleaning up BES

yes

###

110:
Mark:
what is the real requirement here?

Aleksandr:
ranges of JSDL

better description or simpler structure

Mark:
we should not go too far away from JSDL
this would break compatibility

Giuseppe:
how would PGI effect JSDL

Mark:
official response from JSDL: they welcome extensions

Morris:
it is our task

currently we are only at the ranges

Aleksandr:
ranges are most confusing structure in JSDL

we should do it in order to avoid confusion later

Etienne:
current sentence is a statement not a requirement

Morris:
rephrase

who says yes?
two yes

who says no?
two no

postponed

###

111:
Etienne:
more precise understanding?

out, softwareengineering design principle

###

112:
Morris:
who is voting no?

yes

###

113:
postponed

###

115:
postponed

###

117:
Mark:
seems a little out of scope

out (not required)

###

126:
Aleksandr:
we have in ARC but nobody really uses it

Etienne:
not require it strongly, but some users need it

yes

###

127:
Etienne:
my interpretation
logs of activity must be kept to permit security audits

Mark:
execution service cannot keep logs forever

Aleksandr:
if service wants to purge job
it should keep some intermediate state remembering only the id

Mark:
yesterday decided logging and bookkeeping is out of scope

Morris:
rephrase it

Etienne:
would vote no

Morris:
who is saying yes

postpone

###

129:
out

###

130:
out (implementation specific)

###

132:
Mark:
rephrase, default state should not be hold

Morris:
targetting the time after creating activity

yes

###

133:
Morris:
someone saying no?

Etienne:
yes, because much too complicated

yes

###

134:
agreement - yes

###

135:
out (too vague)

###

136:
Mark:
reword

duplicate

###

137:
Etienne:
if you request hold points then the execution service should say if
holdpoints are accepted or not

137,138,139,140:
out

###

141:
Morris:
duplicate?

John:
141, 142 seem already be handled

duplicate

###

143:
Mark:
maybe listed as discussion starting point
we should agree on some subset protocols

Morris:
rephrase

keep as an example

###

151:
out (already agreed)

###

153:
postponed

###

155:
out (non-functional)

###

157:
Etienne:
would vote no becaus XML specific

Mark:
should use global Grid namespace

out

###

161:
out

###

162:
out (too specific)

###

163:
out, duplicate

###

164:
out, duplicate

###

167,168:

out (too specific)

###

170:
andre:
can be different ways, also state
out

agreement on:
no more reproposals

afternoon session
participants:
Joel, Etienne, Aleksandr, Mark, Andre, Johannes, Morris, John, Kazushige

Morris:
how to proceed?

Etienne:
go for the problem of stability of service endpoint and activity id

Morris, Mark:
activity id too complex to discuss

Morris:
dedicate person to requirment

Mark:
everybody should have the chance to prepare and look over the others

11:
Etienne:
everybody has to agree on GLUE
let us use the type
use GLUE as foundation

discussed
agreed to yes

###

24:
Mark:
we must have a common way for clients to authorize agreed upon
not to use one of x,y,z

Morris:
we would need a security expert

can try to talk to EMI experts

is Duane available, made good work

Mark:
not any more
question
makes sense to list the options

24,25,26:
Morris writes 1 page

Etienne:
currently European providers not use SOAP

###

33:
Morris,Mark:
assumed is a bit weak

agreement: out (not in scope)

###

48-54:
Morris:
volunteers?

different understandings

Etienne:
3 ways
initial endpoint is also responsible to manage it until the activity is
finished and forgotten
disadvantage: the single endpoint for whole activity duration becomes a
bottleneck

Aleksandr:
no

Etienne:
advantage: activity id can be completely opaque

Aleksandr:
we don't have activity id defined

Morris:
my proposal would be Etienne prepares a one page document

Etienne:
look at the diagrams to undestand

Aleksandr:
was already discussed on the mailing list
we have different approaches doing things
the spec we are going to produce should accept all the ways

Etienne:
already sent input
Expert input - Etienne

cover also 168

###

69:
out (implementation specific)

###

87:
Expert 1 page (Luigi)

###

88,89:
Morris:
routing and forwarding completely different

drawn 3 or 4 pictures already

Etienne:
do not understand these two and why they are different
must be completely transparent to the client

Aleksandr:
don't see requirement here

Etienne:
publish through different computing endpoints

Aleksandr:
just statements

Morris:
we should have these request routing capabilities

Expert 1 page (Morris)

Aleksandr, Etienne:
deployment question

###

96,97,98:

96: Expert 1 page (Etienne)
97,98: Expert 1 page (Morris)

andre:
understand the options
why is it a requirement

why user should be able to contact end of the path?

###

196:
Morris:
Mark?

John:
who needs it?
Aleksandr

Expert 1 page (Aleksandr)

###

110:
Expert 1 page (Mark)

###

113:
Etienne:
executable is defined by the path
propose to replace arguments by list of arguments

Expert 1 page (Aleksandr)

###

115:
Expert 1 page (Aleksandr)

Mark:
remember the discussion on the telecon
couple of things
it was extremly clear
some people disagre strongly

Etienne:
what means scalable time?

Mark:
which benchmarks?

Andre:
your backend understands what benchmarks mean, Aleksandr?

Aleksandr:
yes, if benchmark published then in can

John:
mandatory?

Etienne:
there is some mail exchange by Etienne and Oxana

Morris:
point Aleksandr to these mails

Joel:
least common denominator
musts and mays

andre:
could go to JSDL and post extension point

Morris:
change BES, JSDL,...

Joel:
strong desire of Etienne. Is it an absolute must?

Morris:
list mixed musts and mays

Joel:
it is always a good idea to do the absolute musts first

###

127:
Expert (Aleksandr)

###

153:
Mark will do it

###

168:
already assigned to Etienne

###

Morris:
go into the mays and musts

Joel:
maybe some musts could be changed to shoulds each of the production Grids
implement

Morris:
too many mays the spec will be useless

andre:
right, but otherwise maybe hard to implement

Morris:
go through to priorize

###

1:
Morris:
merge 1 and 2

2 is duplicate of 1
extend 1

Andre:
you will update PGI profile when new version of GLUE comes out?

Morris:
get rid with "most recent"

rephrase 1

###

Etienne:
first must define terminology, state model

Andre:
cannot define a state model out of the blue

Mark:
iterative process

Joel:
planned output
several options:
one doc
several docs?

Morris:
one PGI profile

several specs that will come out?

Joel:
show use cases that you would like to address

show me the PGI use cases

with separate document with use cases easier to agree

easier to iterate on

Morris, Andre:
not really time to create use case document

Joel:
would make sense to have it, but lack of time and manpower

Mark:
we are not time bound

Joel:
if each production Grid infrastructure provide their top use cases and then
share with each other and take half of a phone call

what's trying to be solved

Mark:
explain where did the requirements come from

Andre,Johannes:
requirements come from use cases

Mark:
many requirements go with one use case

let everybody produce use cases
bring together

Joel, Mark:
ist there a use case for the requirement?

Morris:
use cases

Joel:
having the mapping use case - requirment would help bringing in the other
players

Morris:
tomorrow?

Etienne: