[Pgi-wg] YAP - Yet Another Proposal

Moreno Marzolla moreno.marzolla at pd.infn.it
Fri May 22 05:46:41 CDT 2009

Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
[...]
>>> MUST support RNS:list
>

>>> RNS:list MUST return a predefined set of <name, EPR> pairs that contain
>
>> the
>
>>> job information people want, e.g., session_directory, status
>

>> I would prefer to have that information profiled directly into EPR of
>
>> activity.
>
>> That would save a need to call at least one more operation for every
>
>> initiated Activity.
>
> [Andrew Grimshaw] I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean into the metadata
> portion of the EPR? I think this may be difficult. Status information for
> example changes? The contents of the session_directory may change. Or do you
> have something else in mind?

The GES must support client-initiated transfer of the input data. This
means that the user creates an activity in "pending" state. The GES
returns an activity identifier, plus additional information (e.g., a
URI) pointing to a location when the user can upload input data needed
by the activity, using a supported protocol (scp/gridftp/whatever). At
this point the user can start the activity.

Thus, in the "strawman" we defined the CreateActivity operation to
return a structure to avoid another call to the service to get the URI
of the data staging area. This was considered as an implementation
detail, which I certainly agree. On the other hand, would we have
written something like "the GES must be efficient and avoid redundant
interactions", that requirement would have been too generic and
completely unverifiable, and again I would agree. I can not find any
succint way of describing such a requirement, suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, this specific problem would be easy to "fix" (by another
profile), as the BES CreateActivity operation returns an
ActivityDocument datatype, which contains an extension point.

I also see that so far the discussion focused on adding features, but it
would be equally important to get rid of stuff which is no longer
needed. For example, the BES GetFactoryAttributesDocument as defined in
BES makes little sense if we switch to a GLUE-based information model.
 From the discussion on wednesday I understand that it is not possible
to deprecate operations; for GetFactoryAttributesDocument it is not
possible to have it return an empty structure, because the normative BES
specification says that the GetFactoryAttributesDocument operation
returns a FactoryResourceAttributesDocument element, which must contain
at least the following:

- IsAcceptingNewActivities
- TotalNumberOfActivities
- TotalNumberOfContainedResources
- NamingProfile
- LocalResourceManagerType

I did not check the other profiles/specifications, but I think that
there could be other situations in which there are features not needed
nor requested by GES which must be implemented anyway.
So, while it would be possible to extend
FactoryResourceAttributesDocument to include an XML rendering of some
GLUE information, the same structure would still contain at least the
abovementioned legacy stuff. Is there any way this can be avoided?

Moreno.

--
Moreno Marzolla
INFN Sezione di Padova,    via Marzolo 8,   35131 PADOVA,  Italy