[Pgi-wg] YAP - Yet Another Proposal

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Sat May 23 00:09:31 CDT 2009

Hi PGI team,

>- From the discussion on wednesday I understand that it is not possible to
deprecate operations;

Well, I'm might be wrong here - but I understand from "profiling" that we
can profile elements out, e.g. one operation (which might be very close to
deprecate it).

Hence, implementations that are PGI-compliant don't need to implement these
old "profiled out" (deprecated) operations - but(!) as a consequence, are no
longer BES-compliant at this point.

However, the question arises of how much we have to profile out of BES to
meet our requirements - and if there is something left in BES then:

# New CreateActivity operation, because of immediate return of location et
al.
# get rid of management operations, because of non-needed overhead
# new state model, it seems hard to meet requirements starting from the BES
state model (work-in-progress)
# keep activity portType, but add operations that are missing in the
specification.

It seems to me now there is fairly less left of BES itself, except the name,
and even this one we wanted to change to Production Execution Service or
Advanced Execution Service (back in Geneva).

Again - a neutral observation.

Take care,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel
Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

"We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity"

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender)