[Pgi-wg] YAP - Yet Another Proposal

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Thu May 21 07:38:49 CDT 2009

Good questions. Answers embedded.

[Andrew Grimshaw] OK - and then fault if the activity was not in that state?

> > Define a TransitionResponse to be a <new_state_string | SOAP1.1 fault

> > message)

> > TransitionResponse [] StateTransfer (StateTransferElement [])

> > Profile ActivityEndpoint porttype

> Did You mean BES-Activity porttype as defined in BES specs?

> If yes then it shoudl probablt be to create BES-Activity porttype. BES

> specs does not define any WSDL

> or schema for that port type. And few words in plain English is not enough

> to define one.

[Andrew Grimshaw] I was not clear. The porttype in the spec has no methods.
The idea is to either overload the one there, or most likely, create a new
porttype. During the debate over BES that was added in by the faction that
wanted to be able to directly communicate with the activities. I think to be
absolutely clear it may need to be a new porttype.

> > MUST support getResourceProperties

> Do You mean OASIS WSRF-RP getResourceProperties? Just clarifying.

> Which properties are going to be provided?

[Andrew Grimshaw] This is a hot-potato issue. The real problem is that it
would be very handy beyond BES/PGI to have a single porttype for getting
metadata/attributes. WSRF-RP, and the restricted profile on it in the
OGSA-WSRF-BP (it restricts the class of queries among other things.)

The original BES working group could not come to consensus on using WSRF-RP
in any form. That is why BES has getFactoryAttributesDocument as a sort of
very restricted getProperties. I think now would be a good time to clean up
past mistakes. On the other hand, we could just leave it the way it is and
have getFactoryAttributesDocument return a schema extended with the XML Glue
elements we desire.

> > MUST support RNS:list

> > RNS:list MUST return a predefined set of <name, EPR> pairs that contain

> the

> > job information people want, e.g., session_directory, status

> I would prefer to have that information profiled directly into EPR of

> activity.

> That would save a need to call at least one more operation for every

> initiated Activity.

[Andrew Grimshaw] I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean into the metadata
portion of the EPR? I think this may be difficult. Status information for
example changes? The contents of the session_directory may change. Or do you
have something else in mind?

> > Then create a PGI-Basic-Profile

> > Conformance targets

> > MUST handle HPC-BP, HPC-FSE (implies MUST support BES 1.0

> FactoryPortType

> > and JSDL)

> > MUST support BES-Extensions

> Which?

[Andrew Grimshaw] I mean the proposed "BES-Extensions" porttype described
earlier.

> > MUST return EPRs to resources that support ActivityEndpoint

> I assume ActivityEndpoint is BES-Activity. Otherwise ignore rest.

> I'm not sure that You mean by that. Do You suggest Address element of EPR

> point

> to URL where BES-Activity porttype is supported or are those EPRs to be

> sent to BES-Factory

> as defined in BES specs.

[Andrew Grimshaw] Sorry for being unclear. Let me try to clarify. Create
activity returns an EPR. EPR's refer to some resource endpoint. I'd
suggesting that the resource endpoint MUST support the BES-Activity
porttype.

> > MUST support state model profiles for staging, suspend,

> > whatever_you_want_to_call_the_states_for_ARC if corresponding mechanism

> is

> > supported

> How about client induced state transitions which are out of BES model?

[Andrew Grimshaw] I think one of the faults that should be specified for the
statetransfer method should be something like "Unknown source state" or
"Unknown destination state".

> > MUST support ActivityDocument element <StartInPending>

> In ARC we also support delayed start of activity processing. I guess

> other projects could come with more elements to be put there.

> > MUST/MAY support notification - we can argue this out - I do not have a

> > strong feeling - we support it, but we also poll

> > I would suggest that we have a separate conformance claim supporting RNS

> > directly.

> > This leaves one big question: How to handle GLUE?

> > For this to be answered requires that the specific elements of GLUE2 to

> be

> > indentified.

> > Keep in mind the BES authors anticipated GLUE finalizing at some point.

> > That said we either simply add the desired GLUE XML attributes to the

> > results returned from getFactoryAttributesDocument, create a new

> function

> > that returns just the GLUE, or perhaps better yet support

> > getResourceProperties (I'd recommend using OGSA-WSRF-BP, it is supported

> in

> > Teragrid and caGrid in the US, also I think by Unicore, and by Genesis

> II)

> > and return the GLUE XML as resource properties.

> In ARC we are using OASIS WSRF-RP for providing Glue2 document as one of

> properties. We are using own set of properties but can probably switch to

> OGSA-WSRF-BP.

[Andrew Grimshaw] If you are using OASIS WSRF-RP I believe that you are
supporting the OGSA-WSRF-RP as I believe it is a subset.