[Pgi-wg] Profiling vs new specs

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Wed May 20 07:49:51 CDT 2009

..my two cents if I understand both sides:

>-> this is the kind of approach i don't really like: instead of introducing
>-> clean
>-> extra input parameter you propose to squeeze everything into an
extension
>-> of the
>-> ActivityDocument which i thought initially was just the "JSDL".
>->
>-[Andrew Grimshaw] This is exactly what the extensibility point is for, so
>-that extra information can be agreed upon and profiled without requiring a
>-new function to be defined every time an optional parameter is desired.
>-Thus, a profile can be constructed along with a conformance claim and a
>-service can advertise which profiles/conformance claims it supports.

Here, "extra information can be agreed upon" is right - but when I
understand it right it is exactly that we here don't like to support the
"old relics / old way of doing it still" or carry it around although it's
deprecated,  and not provides backwards compatibility anyway, and is not
intended to use by production middleware....

...however in this sense, we may can profile "the old relics" out which
point again to the question of how much we actually have to profile out  /
develop new.

Take care,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel
Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

"We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity"

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender)