[Pgi-wg] Definition of a Production Grid

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at cern.ch
Tue Mar 17 11:03:40 CDT 2009

>  > Maybe we could use publication impact of the work done as a measure
> > instead, it would be as arbitrary as 'real work'?

Production is IMHO about infrastructure that enables you to do
something, i.e. its dependable. E.g. cars/busses/planes form part of a
production transport infrastructure.

Different users of an infrastructure will have different metrics that
define their success. A transport infrastructure is only useful to me if
it gets me where I want to go.

> I do not think that the publication impact is a good metric. A
> research/academic infrastructure used only, e.g., for testing and
> developing new programming models and/or technologies related to grid
> computing will surely have a large publication impact, as it will be
> used to try out new paradigms which will be subject to many
> publications. But not for this reason I would qualify such
> infrastructure as "production".

What about the 'Nobel Prize for discovering the Higgs Boson' metric?
That seems to be a publication metric I hear about a lot! Seems a bit
focussed, and hardly generic, but seems to work well for some
communities!

Steven