[Pgi-wg] Definition of a Production Grid

Oxana Smirnova oxana.smirnova at hep.lu.se
Tue Mar 17 10:44:24 CDT 2009

Hi,

I agree that "production" can be interpreted in many ways, and it may
well be that the name of this group is misleading.

Let's check what Webster has to say of "production" as an attributive:

  "something not specially designed or customized and usually
   mass-produced <a production car> <production housing>"

Note "usually mass-produced". In my understanding, "production grid" is
like a "production car" - like your average Renault is a production car
as opposed to an F1 racing bolid by Ferrari. F1 bolid performs much
better, but not when it comes to packing skis and dogs and kids. F1
bolids have to meet very tight standards, and a Megane is a pretty
standard car, too - but the standards are different. It's much easier to
buy a set of wheels or a mirror for a production car, because they
usually are interchangeable.

Uh, sorry for going that far with the analogy, I hope you all got my point.

Cheers,
Oxana