[Pgi-wg] Definition of a Production Grid

Moreno Marzolla moreno.marzolla at pd.infn.it
Tue Mar 17 10:19:21 CDT 2009

David Wallom wrote:
[...]
 > Maybe we could use publication impact of the work done as a measure
> instead, it would be as arbitrary as 'real work'?

I do not think that the publication impact is a good metric. A
research/academic infrastructure used only, e.g., for testing and
developing new programming models and/or technologies related to grid
computing will surely have a large publication impact, as it will be
used to try out new paradigms which will be subject to many
publications. But not for this reason I would qualify such
infrastructure as "production".

I was trying to look for the definition of "production system" in some
dictionary, but so far I failed to locate anything useful...

Moreno.

--
Moreno Marzolla
INFN Sezione di Padova,    via Marzolo 8,   35131 PADOVA,  Italy