[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI : Co-chairs - Participation of Members - Reaching a consensus

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Thu Jul 30 14:50:57 CDT 2009

Balazs, Morris and all members of OGF PGI,

I completely agree with Oxana :

-  For a Working Group to achieve success, there must always be someone
active to gather stakeholders, chair meetings, propose directions and
decisions, and gather consensus.
    So OGF PGI needs one leader, and possibly a deputy or a few,
respected as authorities both in PGI and in their respective projects.

-  The occasional absence of all co-chairs should NOT block daily work,
but 1 representative for each of ARC, gLite and Unicore is necessary to
adopt directions and decisions.

Besides, scheduled telephone conferences using +9900827049931906 are NOT
the only way to progress inside OGF PGI :

-  Anyone can review existing input documents, drafts or Wiki pages, and
send comments, remarks or suggestions by mail,

-  Members can directly improve existing input documents, drafts or Wiki
pages, create new ones, and notify the group by mail,

-  At any time, anyone can organize and perform a conference with the
appropriate stakeholders of his choice on a given subject, using
telephone, Skype, EVO, CC-IN2P3 MCU, ...
    In particular, it is very useful that each participant is able to
see the list of participants and who is the current participant
speaking.  This featured is offered by :
    - The Automated audioconferencing server of CERN,
    - Skype (version 4.1 for Windows and version 2.8 for Mac OS X),
which also permit screen sharing (see my mail dated 27 July 2009),
    - EVO at http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/

Finally, I propose that every member browses, compares, reviews and
improves following documents and Wiki pages of OGF PGI :

Vocabulary
----------
-  Wiki page at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pgi-wg/wiki/Vocabulary

Security
--------
-  Matrix at the bottom of the Wiki page at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pgi-wg/wiki/HomePage

-  'PGI Security Model' at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15584?nav=1

Execution Service
-----------------
-  Wiki page at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pgi-wg/wiki/GES

-  'Slides about execution service' at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15593?nav=1

-  'PGI Execution Service Overview' at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15735?nav=1

-  'Comments on the GES Strawman' at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15633?nav=1
    (I can NOT find the original GES Strawman at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15590?nav=1 anymore)

-  'GES Realization via Existing Specifications' at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15630?nav=1

Job State Model
-  'PGI Single Job State Model - Textual description' at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15697?nav=1

-  'PGI Single Job State Model (available as ZARGO, XMI and PNG)'
available under 6 formats at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15655?nav=1

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr