[orep-wg] WS-ReplicaCatalog specification

Robert Schuler schuler at isi.edu
Mon Aug 8 12:49:22 CDT 2005

Hi Peter,

| it seems like we're in agreement!
| yes, there are conceptual issues, and as i said i believe we should
| take guidance (and of course give guidance) from/to the

That makes sense to me.

| GFS and RNS specs. do you have some thoughts/remarks on those?

My reading of RNS left me with a vaguely positive feeling. Not that
anything was wrong with it, just that I haven't fully digested it yet. I
probably have to study it closer.

As for other GFS specs, I haven't read them in a while, so I would need
to catch up a bit.

It definitely makes sense to me to do OREP work in the context of their
work (or at least with their work in mind).

| we'll try to compile something here on these too to give our ideas
| as well how we would see the direction of a specification.

OK. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,
rob

| thanks for starting the discussion!!
|
| peter

| > |
| > | i actually did read the document carefully ;-)
| >
| > *heh* You know I have to give you a hard time. :)

| > |
| > | to be constructive, what someone (probably this group)
| > needs to do -
| > | upon which the rest of OGSA data is relying - is a
| > WS-ReplicaCatalog
| > | interface as you correctly mention in the document. it needs to be
| > | done such that it fits seamlessly into the puzzle of the
| > OGSA design,
| > | and in this doc i can see no mention or sign of that.
| > |
| > | i actually don't agree that it is a spec that anyone could
| > implement -
| > | it does not fit well on top of our existing catalogs for
| > instance. let
| > | me delve a bit deeper technically:
| >
| > I too was thinking about this a bit more. It seems like there
| > are some conceptual differences between various replica
| > catalog instances. I objected to your earlier comment about
| > it, but then again the 'conceptual' differences may prevent
| > others from implementing the spec.
| > Resolving these conceptual differences may be much more
| > challenging than resolving normal 'implementation' differences.

| > |
| > | there is a schema defined in the document for how the
| > objects defined
| > | are tied together. this also specifies the implementation
| > to a large
| > | extent, which i believe is the wrong approach.
| > | i am referring to the diagram on page 8.
| > |
| > | i believe that
| > |  - there should be no such schema given at all,
| > |    just an interface specification
| >
| > OK. The idea for the schema is to give some sense for how to
| > query the catalog without defining a rigid set of 'lookup' or
| > 'find' operations.
| > Perhaps, it is too ambitious to generalize on this.

| > |
| > |  - we need to address the specific issue
| > |    of data replication, not just file replication
| > |    and this has to be reflected well in the design
| > |
| > |  - it is not a well-designed schema for the
| > |    purpose at hand since it is too generic
| > |    for a replica catalog functionality. it
| > |    is basically a mapping catalog - there are
| > |    'strings' which may have attributes and
| > |    which may relate one to another. i believe
| > |    we must be more specific for it to be useful.
| >
| > This is where the conceptual differences lie. Our approach
| > has been to stick to abstract concepts: names, mappings,
| > attributes. We hardly imply any more semantics than that.
| > Personally, I'd agree; like you say, it is basically a
| > mapping catalog.
| >
| > This is tough. I'm not entirely sure how to merge these two
| > concepts or make them more compatible.

| > |
| > |  - the interface needs methods that address
| > |    clearly the creation of data entries, of
| > |    replicas thereof, and also a unique ID
| > |    as it is present in the RNS and GFS specs.
| > |    this notion is completely missing. stating that
| > |    a GUID may be just one of the strings in
| > |    the mapping catalog is missing the point
| > |    of why a unique ID was defined in the first place.
| >
| > I'm not 100% clear why these can't be names and required
| > attributes. Is it so that the semantics can be understood by
| > other automated systems?
| > It seems to me that if a user were to define a required
| > attribute called 'creationDateTime' associated with a name,
| > that would effectively be the same thing.
| >
| > I'm not sure I understand your comment about GUIDs. Maybe
| > we're just using different terms to refer to the same
| > thing...? I'm thinking of a logical 'name' as being unique. A
| > 'GUID' is a specific type of unique ID (or name). So the user
| > and the system would respect that the 'name' is to be unique.
| > We're just not mandating what type of unique name/id it must
| > be. Maybe I'm confused.

| > |
| > |  - some of the attributes need to be predefined
| > |    for a replica catalog to be semantically useful.
| > |    like creation date, lifetime, etc. there are
| > |    system attributes and user-defined attributes,
| > |    and i'm not sure that user-defined ones really
| > |    belong into a replica catalog interface.
| >
| > On 'predefined' attributes: I'd like to better understand why
| > they need to be predefined. I'm not saying they shouldn't be,
| > but I don't understand why.
| >
| > On 'user-defined' attributes: We don't like them either, but
| > it might be difficult to get our users to live without them.

| > |
| > |
| > | so my question to you: do you intend to do a
| > WS-ReplicaCatalog spec or
| > | do you just intend to put a WSRF-compatible interface on top of
the
| > | RLS?
| >
| > We would like to move from our starting position, 'a
| > WSRF-compatible interface on top of the RLS', to a
| > 'WS-ReplicaCatalog spec'.

| > |
| > | if it is the latter, i suggest you drop the mention of
| > | WS-ReplicaCatalog in the document.
| >
| > Sure.
| >
| > | if it is the former, i am happy to participate and then we need to
| > | declare this a proper standardization effort.
| > | we will however proabably need to start from the existing
| > notions in
| > | the other GGF teams and then see how we should really define the
| > | interface, and map it to existing implementations.
| > |
| > | best,
| > |
| > | peter