[orep-wg] WS-ReplicaCatalog specification

Peter Kunszt Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch
Sat Aug 6 04:43:01 CDT 2005

hi ann,

very well, then the 'scope' section needs some revisiting
first. these are the very first sentences of the document.
it reads:

"The focus of this specification is to introduce a WS-ReplicaCatalog to
supplement the Replica Location Service (RLS) by providing a WS-RF
interface to the functionality of a replica catalog. "

  this is what i meant, it says explicitly that
  this doc is meant to supplement the RLS
  with WSRF. so if it is true what you write
  in your email, please drop this phrase or
  phrase it better, i.e.

  ''The focus of this specification should be to
  introduce a WS-ReplicaCatalog specification
  that fits into the general OGSA data area
  definition of replica cataloguing functionality.''

  there are already references to replica catalogs
  in the RNS and GFS specs, i think we should be doing
  exactly what is necessary to interoperate there

"Within the RLS there exists a Local Replica Catalog (LRC) service along
with a Replica Location Index (RLI). The WS-ReplicaCatalog addresses the
functionality one expects from a replica catalog hence the scope is
narrowed to the functionality found in the LRC. "

  this is as specific as it gets. i would
  make no such assumption at all! it should mention
  the GFS and RNS work in the OGSA data design.

"There would likely exist a complementary WS-ReplicaIndex specification
to encompass the functionality of the RLI, but it is not addressed in
this document. "

  more specifics, i suggest to simply drop it.

it continues throughout the first few pages as i mentioned in my initial
email,
so if your intentions were to have it generic, i am afraid it doesn't
show (at least to me).
all of it needs serious revisiting to show that intention and much
better ties to the existing OGSA data
work. i can help you with that if you want.

peter