[orep-wg] WS-ReplicaCatalog specification

Peter Kunszt Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch
Sat Aug 6 04:57:14 CDT 2005

hi rob,

very good! this was not what i understood from ann.
and if you do speak of a WS-ReplicaCatalog interface,
this implies standardization at least to me. otherwise
it is simply a WSRF interface on top of RLS, so excuse
my confusion.

i actually did read the document carefully ;-)

to be constructive, what someone (probably this group)
needs to do - upon which the rest of OGSA data is relying -
is a WS-ReplicaCatalog interface as you correctly mention
in the document. it needs to be done such that
it fits seamlessly into the puzzle of the OGSA design,
and in this doc i can see no mention or sign of that.

i actually don't agree that it is a spec that anyone could
implement - it does not fit well on top of our existing catalogs
for instance. let me delve a bit deeper technically:

there is a schema defined in the document for how the objects
defined are tied together. this also specifies the implementation
to a large extent, which i believe is the wrong approach.
i am referring to the diagram on page 8.

i believe that
 - there should be no such schema given at all,
   just an interface specification

 - we need to address the specific issue
   of data replication, not just file replication
   and this has to be reflected well in the design

 - it is not a well-designed schema for the
   purpose at hand since it is too generic
   for a replica catalog functionality. it
   is basically a mapping catalog - there are
   'strings' which may have attributes and
   which may relate one to another. i believe
   we must be more specific for it to be useful.

 - the interface needs methods that address
   clearly the creation of data entries, of
   replicas thereof, and also a unique ID
   as it is present in the RNS and GFS specs.
   this notion is completely missing. stating that
   a GUID may be just one of the strings in
   the mapping catalog is missing the point
   of why a unique ID was defined in the first place.

 - some of the attributes need to be predefined
   for a replica catalog to be semantically useful.
   like creation date, lifetime, etc. there are
   system attributes and user-defined attributes,
   and i'm not sure that user-defined ones really
   belong into a replica catalog interface.

so my question to you: do you intend to do a
WS-ReplicaCatalog spec or do you just intend to put
a WSRF-compatible interface on top of the RLS?

if it is the latter, i suggest you drop the mention
of WS-ReplicaCatalog in the document.
if it is the former, i am happy to participate and then
we need to declare this a proper standardization effort.
we will however proabably need to start from the
existing notions in the other GGF teams and then
see how we should really define the interface,
and map it to existing implementations.

best,

peter