[orep-wg] WS-ReplicaCatalog specification

Robert Schuler schuler at isi.edu
Fri Aug 5 12:32:27 CDT 2005

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but did you carefully read the
document? I do not think your comments reflect the actual contents very
well - in my opinion. First, this is in no way presented as a "GGF
standardization document" which is made clear in the opening paragraph.
It states that the document is intended to "generate dialogue" and "for
review and discussion" through the GGF. It makes no mentioned that we
are submitting this document for immediate consideration for
standardization. We humbly seek to begin a discussion.

As for your explanation regarding what a standardization document should
contain, I hope you do not think we do not understand that already. When
I come across a document that does not match my expectation of a
particular format, I have two options: (1) I can assume that the person
does not know what they are doing, or (2) I can realize that perhaps
they are not intending the document to be of a particular type (e.g., a
standardization document). I would like to believe that in most
instances I choose to give others the benefit of the doubt.

In terms of your more substantive comment, I would like to suggest that
you take a closer look. We have been careful not to define anything that
is necessarily RLS-specific. So, as far as I can tell, there is nothing
to prevent others from implementing this specification. On the other
hand, at merely 25 pages, it is very terse and incomplete for a real
"standardization document", but we already knew that. It would have
seemed presumptuous on our part, if we were to submit a complete
specification. We have "shared" (as I wrote earlier, not "submitted") a
document with the OREP WG for the purpose of discussion, at a very early
stage in the interface's lifecycle. We are not in the business of
forcing our specifications on others, including our user community.

I hope this clarifies our intentions for this specification. If we
misled you in some way, please allow us to correct any misunderstanding.
We are still very interested in your thoughts and comments from a
technical perspective and would like to hear more.

Thank you,

rob