[ogsa-wg] OGSA Information Services - Version 3

Felix Ehm felix.ehm at cern.ch
Mon Sep 24 04:46:17 CDT 2007

Hi Guru,

>Hello Fleix and Donal,
>
>I see we have totally stopped discussions on this thread. I have sent a
>that (which apparently I can't locate in my inbox) but neither do I see any
comments nor do I see an update version.
>My comments were more on the lines of mentioning all the things we have
said here more clearly in the document.

>Can you guys please look for that email from me and send it to me. Perhaps,
we could start and end this thread.

>Others,
>
>If anyone of you can find that email from that will be great too.
>
>Thank you.
>Guru
(please find your mail below)

To conclude the agreement :
We agree on a site level information system which caches data from its
recources.
The resources are not queried directly by any other instances, but its
information is available in the site level information system.

> How will the new resource register or how will the site level information
provider discover this new
> resource. Meaning, is the onus on the resource level provider to advertise
or the site level provider to discover.
I think this is rather a implementation/deplyoment issue than a
standartization one. The paragraph ("Recommendations for Standards", 2)
wants to express the need for a common way of exchanging the registry of
endpoints information between infrastructures. It is not intented to
standartize a way of how the enpoints are registered within the
infrastructure. However, I'm sure there is a way of best practice.

> I like the idea of caching. If this is the route we are taking it needs to
be put in the document.
> Then the questions is how frequently the cache is/should be updated? Where
will the cache
> reside? At the host or where the provider is? This needs to go in too.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'host' - the resource or the host which
requests the information?
In both cases I think the site-level info-system (provider) should cache the
information.
The resource should not cache at all.
If we rely on the fact that the user host caches the info, we run against
the problem that they will then switch off the chaching to try to get always
the latest information. ( at least this is what I'll do :-) )
Then, we have the request bombing scanario again.

But again, this and the frequency of updating the information should be a
implementation/deployment issue and is therefore not defined in this
document.

> Finally, how will all this be propagated to Grid level.
The way site information is made available to the grid is suggested by the
common query interface ("Recommendations for Standards", 1) .

Felix

---
Felix Ehm            Tel: +41 22 76 74580
CERN                 Fax: +41 22 76 68783
IT-GD-ITR            CH 1211, Geneve

  _____