[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:58:37 CDT 2007

As a somewhat irrelevant aside, I find the OGC (Open Geospatial
Consortium) specification of as Web Feature Service as helpful in
suggesting a general structure of a data service.

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> guru prasad wrote:
>
>> I have the following opinion about the proposed definition for a data
>> service: "A service that exposes the capabilities or data of one or more
>> data resources within a service-oriented architecture."
>>

> I'm trying to understand why there should be a distinction between
> "capabilities" and "data" in this context. Data's interesting for what
> you can do with it. :-)
>

>> The definition just tells me that Data Service just exposes the
>> capabilities and/or data of data resource(s). But, it does not tell me
>> if I can access this service to invoke those capabilities or the data of
>> a data resource.
>>

> It's exposing the capabilities, not (necessarily) a description of them.
>

>> If this is true, then, 'service' is too strong a term.
>> It should be 'data resource descriptor'. Else, 'service that exposese
>> the capabilities or data' has to be rephrased. Because it is not only
>> exposing but also allowing the user to access those capabilities.
>>

> A capability isn't exposed if it isn't (at least in principle) accessible.
>
> Donal.
>
> --

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207