[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 04:11:06 CDT 2007

I suppose there is an ambiguity arising throught the phrase "expose the
capabilities", as we don't have a definition of "expose".  Perhaps we
could find better words to express the intended meaning.  I wondered
about "make available the capabilities and data", but this might be
confused with provisioning.  (I notice that the OGSA definition of
"virtualization" has dropped the phrase "make available").

How about:

"A service that provides interfaces to the capabilities and data of one
or more
data resources within a service-oriented architecture."

Dave.

> >guru prasad wrote:
> > The definition just tells me that Data Service just exposes the
> > capabilities and/or data of data resource(s). But, it does not tell
me
> > if I can access this service to invoke those capabilities or the
data of
> > a data resource.

> Donal Fellows replied:
> It's exposing the capabilities, not (necessarily) a description of
them.
> A capability isn't exposed if it isn't (at least in principle)
accessible.