[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 15:36:23 CDT 2007

guru prasad wrote:
> I have the following opinion about the proposed definition for a data
> service: "A service that exposes the capabilities or data of one or more
> data resources within a service-oriented architecture."

I'm trying to understand why there should be a distinction between
"capabilities" and "data" in this context. Data's interesting for what
you can do with it. :-)

> The definition just tells me that Data Service just exposes the
> capabilities and/or data of data resource(s). But, it does not tell me
> if I can access this service to invoke those capabilities or the data of
> a data resource.

It's exposing the capabilities, not (necessarily) a description of them.

> If this is true, then, 'service' is too strong a term.
> It should be 'data resource descriptor'. Else, 'service that exposese
> the capabilities or data' has to be rephrased. Because it is not only
> exposing but also allowing the user to access those capabilities.

A capability isn't exposed if it isn't (at least in principle) accessible.

Donal.