[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Extensible state model for jobs

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed May 3 07:36:04 CDT 2006

Quoting [Christopher Smith] (May 02 2006):

> Hi all,
>
> As Marvin mentioned in his email on extensibility and composition of
> protocols, I'd like to present this short document describing, in more
> detail, a model for extending the state model of jobs from a "base profile".
> The document is based on some discussions that Marvin and I have been having
> about scheduler interoperability, and is very close to the model that has
> been proposed within the SAGA working group. Please review Marvin's email
> about extensibility to get a feel for the "context" of the model.
>
> It is my intention to show how the ESI and BES state models can be
> represented using this approach. I'll try to get that done before Tokyo, but
> might just need to present some slides at GGF17, assuming I'm given a few
> minutes to do so.
>
> This is very much a work in progress, so I'm looking forward to feedback....
>
> A note for the SAGA group .... I'd still like to see "pending" in the base
> job state diagram ... don't know why it disappeared. ;-)

Right now its absent because only those states which can be
actually reached by SAGA method calls are present.  Now, as
you said earlier, it can be assumed a flaw that SAGA has no
means to put a job into 'Pending' state.

So, if there are some use cases or some agreement that the
API should allow to move a job into 'Pending' state, the
method/attribute will be added, and the state will be added.

Similar reasoning holds for 'Suspend' - as long as we don't
have suspend/resume methods, we would not like to expose a
'Suspended' state on the higher level state diagram.

Well, thats my opinion at least ;-)  I know that you see
Pending as crucial.  IIUC, that funds (partly) on the fact
that most/all Queuing systems support pending.  However,
SAGA is right now not about submissing to queues in the
first place, so I am not sure if that is relevant (right
now).

Could we discuss that in Tokyo?  Some (real) use cases would
be very convincing.

Thanks, best regards,

  Andre.

--
"So much time, so little to do..."  -- Garfield