[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Extensible state model for jobs

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Wed May 3 10:50:06 CDT 2006

On 03/5/06 05:36, "Andre Merzky" <andre at merzky.net> wrote:

> Right now its absent because only those states which can be
> actually reached by SAGA method calls are present.  Now, as
> you said earlier, it can be assumed a flaw that SAGA has no
> means to put a job into 'Pending' state.
>

> So, if there are some use cases or some agreement that the
> API should allow to move a job into 'Pending' state, the
> method/attribute will be added, and the state will be added.

The state that a job enters after a create_job operation is 'pending', so
the create_job operation is the method that puts a job in this state.

This state is required for queuing systems ... I can't even imagine how it
got dropped from the state diagram. I think you're trying to map the task
state model too closely. ;-)

> Similar reasoning holds for 'Suspend' - as long as we don't
> have suspend/resume methods, we would not like to expose a
> 'Suspended' state on the higher level state diagram.

This I agree with.

-- Chris