[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-naming-wg] ... without wsa:Address profile, AbstractName is meaningless ...

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Mon Nov 14 11:16:13 CST 2005

Mark McKeown wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>          The Web Architecture
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#identification)
> discusses and provides guidance on the issues you describe
> of IRI collision, IRI aliases etc. Does this document not
> address the issues of the profile work you are suggesting?
>
> When you advocate using the wsa:Address for the AbstractName
> are you saying that there is no need for adding the AbstractName
> element from WS-Naming into the EPR or are you saying that
> the wsa:Address (or some combination of the
> wsa:Address+wsa:ReferenceParameters) should be used in the
> AbstractName element.
>
> eg.
> <wsa:EndpointReference
> 	xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/03/addressing"
> 	xmlns:name="http://ggf.org/name">
>   <wsa:Address>http://ggf.org/example/B944388</wsa:Address>
>   <name:AbstractName>http://ggf.org/example/B944388</name:AbstractName>
> </wsa:EndpointReference>

And if so, is everyone expected to (a) have read and understood section
3.2.3. on the subject of URI equivalence(below), or (b) to explicitly
require case-sensitive-string-matching as the comparison.

In the case above, are the following abstract names equivalent?

<name:AbstractName>http://GGF.ORG/example/B944388</name:AbstractName>
<name:AbstractName>http://GGF.ORG:80/example/B944388</name:AbstractName>
<name:AbstractName>http://ggf.org:/example/B944388</name:AbstractName>
<name:AbstractName>HTTP://ggf.org/%65xample/B944388</name:AbstractName>

I ask, as for the test document for CDDLM, I need to define equivalence
of things. And as EPR equivalence is so troublesome I am looking at WSDM
ResourceIDs, but even there you have to specify what equivalence logic
you will be using.

-steve

---------------------
RFC2616 on comparisons. Note that java.net does not implement this logic:

3.2.3 URI Comparison

    When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
    SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
    URIs, with these exceptions:

       - A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the default
         port for that URI-reference;

         - Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;

         - Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;

         - An empty abs_path is equivalent to an abs_path of "/".

    Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
    RFC 2396 [42]) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encoding.

    For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:

       http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html
       http://ABC.com/%7Esmith/home.html
       http://ABC.com:/%7esmith/home.html