[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Abstract names in BES

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 9 23:08:59 CST 2005

Embedding the jobId in the EPR's Address' URI was not meant to be
interpreted by the clients, but was meant to give it the same uniqueness
properties ans the jobId itself.

If that is the case, then the job's Address becomes an alternative name
for the job - forget the fact that it is also used as a network end
point: it's just another jobId by itself.

The mapping of the jobId to the job's Address value is resolvable at the
manager that created the Address (it has to be).

Now the only thing that bothers me is your insistence that some
warm-body has to be able to "remember" them... isn't it enough to be
able to easily copy and paste them ?
(note that IDs that are forever globally unique and such are *always*
"impossible" to remember... so I'm not even sure if that is a realistic
requirement... unless you have yet another not so abstract name in mind
with less uniqueness properties).

It's a little difficult to go into details as the use case is somewhat
sketchy... but the main idea that I wanted to introduce is to treat the
Address value also as an identifier for the resource.

Regards, Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory