[ogsa-wg] Abstract names in BES

Michael Behrens behrens at r2ad.com
Wed Nov 9 21:39:31 CST 2005

Just some of my thoughts/ideas on the topic....
I view abstract names simply as resource GUIDs which could be
persistent, shared, and referenced over time (meaning the abstract name
will never change).

Within BES, I would like to use them in particular for items which are
long lived, such as references to an Application Archive in ACS within a
job description.  I would expect that the abstract name would survive
over a long period of time as machines fail, IPs are re-issued, domain
name changes, etc.
One could construct a job using the simpler abstract name, save that job
(JSDL, etc), and at some time later request the job to execute and the
ACS archive could be found, assuming it still exits (in which case the
audit logs might be examined for references to that abstract name).

I was also curious about the use of them with regard to policy documents
(security and agreement) because even if the service host changes, those
abstract names are static and therefore would not make the policy
documents obsolete.

--
Michael Behrens
R2AD, LLC