[ogsa-wg] service/resource identifier on the wire?

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 8 23:12:41 CST 2005

Dear All:

Frank sent a nice email a while ago making the case for this. I think it's
really unfortunate that there was no response. This lack of response to
substantative proposals and questions (except, sometimes, for a response
that "this was discussed and was not needed") seems to be standard
operating procedure for WS-Naming and OGSA-BES. I don't think it is the
right way to work if we want consensus and adoption.

Ian,

At 08:48 PM 11/8/2005 -0800, Frank Siebenlist wrote:
>In the past I've advocated that we need an AbstractName equivalent as a
>service/resource identifier on the wire, i.e. present in the soap message.
>
>During the last conference call it was mentioned that at the ws-naming F2F
>it was discussed that this was not needed.
>Could someone explain what the arguments were? What the discussion was
>about exactly?
>
>(maybe the f2f-minutes would be nice too ... hint, hint ;-) )
>
>Thanks, Frank.
>
>--
>Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
>The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org