[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Djaoui, A (Abdeslem) A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 12:55:47 CDT 2005

Please see inlined comments <AD/>.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org [mailto:owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org]On Behalf Of
Marty Humphrey
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:57 PM
To: 'Ogsa-Wg'
Subject: RE: [ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

I want to clarify this ...

Yes, composability is certainly important, both with regard to the
specifications/standards as well as the profiles.

With regard to composability of *profiles*, everyone agrees that WS-I BP 1.1
supports composability, and WS-I "Simple SOAP Binding Profile 1.0" and WS-I
"Attachments Profile 1.0" support composability, but no one would attempt to
layer WS-I "Simple SOAP Binding Profile 1.0" onto WS-I "Attachments Profile
1.0" (or the other way around). So they're not "composable" in this sense.

<AD>
Yes I agree the change from BP 1.0 to 1.1 was partly driven by a need to allow COMPOSITION of RELEVANT profiles.
For the the example 3 profiles above: If your web service is not using attachement you would compose BP 1.1
with SSBP1.0, if it is using attachements you will need to compose BP1.1 and AP1.0.
These can be seen as different bindings.
>From a user point of view these are the only meaningful compositions (you either want to use SOAP with attachement or without.).
When there is a tight coupling between profiles, the profile document itself
should state how it is intended to be used or composed with other profiles.
If other binding protocols
become available (MTOM for example) you would need BP1.1 with MTOM 1.0 or whatever.
But of course you web service could support many bindings ....
But I take your point that some compositions might not make sense.
</AD>

I see an analogous situation for some (all?) "OGSA Profiles" -- particularly
the WSRF Profile and any potential profile coming out of this BOF.
<AD>
If by analogous situation you mean non composable, I disagree.
A more sensible approach would be to  allow all OGSA basic profiles to be implemented together,
(although higher related profiles will only compose with their corresponding profile).
This is starightforward when the profiles rely on different specifications.
When they refer the same specification, care should be taken not to have contradictory statements
that lead to non-composability problems.
</AD>

Note that you might say that a WSRF profile could layer on a "WS-I OGSA
Profile", but then I would question the very existence/purpose of this "WS-I
OGSA Profile" (as it would seem to add no functionality above WS-I Basic
Profile 1.1 and WS-I Basic Security Profile 1.0).

<AD>
Yes I agree.
I was thinking more along the lines of a new profile based on WS-Transfer and WS-Eventing.
The new profile and WSRF profile should be made to live happily together.
So people will have the choice of two OGSA stacks. But there shouldn't be anything stopping them
from implementing both stacks.

Abdeslem
</AD>

-- Marty