[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Wed Jun 22 07:04:29 CDT 2005

Hi Fred,

Yes, these are all very good points. I agree that SOME time should be spent
on your question [1] (Are multiple base profiles OK to begin with?), but
that if we are not careful, we will spend all of our time there, with
perhaps little progress.

Your question [2] (How do the protocols sets in this area (the WSRF+WSN set,
and the WS-Transfer etc. set) compare to each other?) and question [3] (What
are the plans for the "WS-I-only" profile?) are clearly the most important.
I know that I will speak from first-hand experience and attempt to be as
objective and realistic as possible with regard to the two stacks that we
have used/implemented (WSRF "vs" WS-Transfer et. al). We will also discuss
our initial explorations at interop between the two stacks.

With regard to a "WS-I-only" profile, well, this is perhaps one topic in
which differences of opinion might exist within the BOF organizers (again,
this is fine -- this is exactly the type of thing that should be discussed
at a BOF, right?). While I, personally, certainly respect the
goals/intentions of a "WS-I-only stack" even "WS-I+WS-Addressing-only
stack", I see no reason to preclude WS-Transfer/WS-Enum/WS-Eventing, if they
are deemed to have important functionality for OGSA. I have no doubt that
these will appear in standards bodies relatively soon, although I really
have no idea when they might appear in some profile in WS-I (this is again a
possible topic of discussion for the GGF BOF -- a perceived need for such a
profile).

We all want OGSA to succeed. It is important that everyone needs to keep
this overall goal in mind when either thinking about the BOF beforehand or
participating in the BOF. The overall goal of the BOF is, of course, to
determine if the pursuit of one/more "non-WSRF" profiles will help OGSA
succeed.

-- Marty

Marty Humphrey
Assistant Professor