[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 12:12:44 CDT 2005

> (1) Are multiple base profiles OK to begin with?

> Try to steer the discusion past that one (or around it), so that we can get
> to the next problem:

The purpose of the BOF is to explore if there is interest in developing
a second OGSA profile. I don't see this as a discussion point within the
BoF unless their is overlap.. and isn't this what the GFSG examines?

> (2) How do the protocols sets in this area (the WSRF+WSN set, and the
> WS-Transfer etc. set) compare to each other?

Like all BOFs it will split into two parts... a discussion through a
series of presentations outlining approaches to building web service
grids, and then discussion/defining next steps.

> (3) What are the plans for the "WS-I-only" profile?

What is being proposed is not a WS-I only OGSA profile. WS-I (basic &
security profiles) define a set of specifications and how they should be
used. These all obviously have WS-I compliant syntax. The WSRF profile
defines an additional set of specifications and how they can be used
(beyond those in WS-I) which are also WS-I compliant.

Any profile that comes out of the proposed WG will obviously build upon
the WS-I base and use WS-I compliant syntax. Which specifications it
will use is open to discussion... hence the 'minimal' in the WG title.
While I would be the first to agree this is not a great title it is IMHO
better than pre-judging the WG's activity by calling it (say) the OGSA
WS-XYZ profile.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK