[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Jun 21 09:28:07 CDT 2005

Hi Ian et. al.,

A very good question! (“can you define the goals of the BOF more precisely
other than "not WSRF"?) I sent this email in part to hear from the community
how “broad” they might like it to be. That is, we’re being flexible. If
someone wants to talk about one of these specific topics, we will certainly
try our best to accommodate.

Note that by default I believe the discussions will center around
WS-Transfer, WS-Enumeration, WS-Eventing, et. al. I will talk about my
team's use of WS-Transfer, WS-Enumeration, and WS-Eventing. I think we’re in
a very good position to discuss the pros and cons of these specs as compared
with WSRF (as our project has implemented/used both).

Let me answer the question in a different way. GGF Chair Mark Linesch said
recently: "Our approach with the OGSA architecture along with our
collaborative work on OGSA profiles is to: (1) describe 'the most traveled
paths through the forest' rather than to dictate that there is only one
path; and (2) to continue to highlight that multiple, overlapping paths may
not be in the interests of the industry over time"
(http://news.taborcommunications.com/msgget.jsp?mid=403500&xsl=story.xsl)
Simply, we believe that there has been sufficient "hallway discussions" on
BOTH (1) and (2) that it makes good sense to gather people to discuss BOTH
of these topics in a realistic and productive way.

- Marty

Marty Humphrey
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science