[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 21 08:53:30 CDT 2005

Marty, Steven:

It is of course feasible, in principle, to define many different profiles
for OGSA. E.g., one could build one on WS-Transfer and friends, one could
build one that uses a different construct than the WS-Addressing EPR to
address things, one could define one that uses JINI mechanisms, one could
define one that uses CORBA, one could define one that renames all of the
current WSRF and WS-Notification calls to be slightly different (oh wait,
that's the first in the list (-: ), etc.

Given the wide variety of possible alternative profiles, it would be
helpful for those like me who are considering attending the BOF to know
what more specifically what the goal of this work is going to be. The name
doesn't provide any information, other than to imply, perhaps, that the
interfaces on which the WSRF profile builds are not in some manner
"minimal" and/or "simple." I.e., can you define the goals of the BOF more
precisely other than "not WSRF"?

Regards -- Ian.

At 09:11 AM 6/21/2005 -0400, Marty Humphrey wrote:
>Folks,
>
>There have been a number of informal conversations lately about the
>feasibility/value/implications of a possible non-WSRF-based profile for
>OGSA.
>
>To bring all interested parties together at the same time, a BOF has been
>scheduled for Tuesday June 28 noon-1:30 (unfortunately at the same time as
>the EGA session, but there were no good times available). The agenda is
>still being finalized, but we expect to broadly discuss the pros/cons of
>such an effort, and, if the BOF attendees decide that such an effort would
>be valuable, produce a concrete plan for the formation of a Working Group.
>
>Here is the information that Steven Newhouse provided for the GGF
>organizers:
>
>"A BOF meeting to discuss the creation of a WG to define an OGSA Basic
>Profile that builds upon a minimal set of simple web services. The output of
>the group would be a document, similar in nature to the OGSA WSRF Basic
>Profile that would allow OGSA services to be rendered using an alternative
>set of WS specifications."
>
>I hope you can attend this (hopefully) productive and constructive session!
>
>-- Marty and Steven
>
>Marty Humphrey
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Virginia

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org