[ogsa-wg] Scoping for Job Creation and Management

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 21 04:41:32 CST 2005

Ian,

I want to answer these separately, so a few mails over the next few
hours, as I should be pay attention in a meeting.

On 20 Jan 2005, at 0:40, Ian Foster wrote:

>  As you know JSDL pretty well (certainly better than I, sorry to say),
> can you comment on whether the GT4 GRAM JDL (described at
> http://www-unix.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/3.9.4/execution/
> wsgram/schemas/mjs_job_description.html) can be rendered in JSDL?
>
>  If the answer is yes, then I'd say first of all "good" and second
> "well that means we have work to do in terms of defining a standard
> vocabulary."

Later, I want to do a short summary of JSDL ant the same time and I
still need to finish looking at JDL.

>  One more thought regarding your earlier email concerning scoping: you
> proposed that we take delegation off the table. However, one reason
> for delegating credentials is so that the job manager host can
> initiate staging commands.

This is a simpler answer. I would leave delegation off the scope of
this group simply to separate concerns.

Whatever the security mechanisms in place at the job management
service, they should be composable with the job management interface. I
know that some form of delegation is needed to manage the file staging,
but a delegation service is not the only solution, so I am loathe to
bind the two together is a specification. For example, the Unicore
implementation would not require and delegation service. Lastly, if we
need such a service, it should be done in the security area and be more
widely applicable.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE