[ogsa-wg] Scoping for Job Creation and Management

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 19 18:40:22 CST 2005

David:

As you know JSDL pretty well (certainly better than I, sorry to say), can
you comment on whether the GT4 GRAM JDL (described at
http://www-unix.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/3.9.4/execution/wsgram/schemas/mjs_job_description.html)
can be rendered in JSDL?

If the answer is yes, then I'd say first of all "good" and second "well
that means we have work to do in terms of defining a standard vocabulary."

One more thought regarding your earlier email concerning scoping: you
proposed that we take delegation off the table. However, one reason for
delegating credentials is so that the job manager host can initiate staging
commands.

Ian.

At 10:32 AM 1/19/2005 +0000, David Snelling wrote:
>Ian,
>
>On 19 Jan 2005, at 1:32, Ian Foster wrote:
>
>>  This seems reasonable to me at first glance.
>>
>>  The interesting thing is that there is not that much there, if one
>> assumes WSRF/WSN.
>
>Yes I know. If you assume WSRF and WSN and take an aggressive line we have
>a minimalist solution:
>
>MJobFactory_create (JSDL_Doucment, Initial_TT) -> EPR
>
>MJob implements WSRF-RP, WSRF-LT, WS-BN
>MJob_status as a resource property
>
>And you're done.
>
>Subscribe to value change notification on 'status' and you pretty much can
>do all of GRAM, minus the Globus specific bits. I don't think I would go
>for this minimal, but it was an interesting exercise. NB: I know JSDL
>pretty well and there's a lot there, which helps.
>
>--
>
>Take care:
>
>     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
>     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
>     Hayes Park Central
>     Hayes End Road
>     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
>
>     +44-208-606-4649 (Office)
>     +44-208-606-4539 (Fax)
>     +44-7768-807526  (Mobile)

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org